• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Retirement date

zoomer

How soon after you send in application for retirement can you retire? Will turn 62 next month and need to retire asap. Have scheduled phone call with hrssc. Can I retire within a week of sending in application?

Pretty sure you can resign and retire at will. Getting paperwork straight and receiving a pension will take longer than immediately. As usual, pretty sure money is the driving force here, they ask for like 3 months prior so they have plenty of time to put things together and process it through the system, and you still need to wait to be paid a pension no matter what. Not aware of any requirement for notice other than their requirement to be able to take their time processing it. As usual I could be wrong.

I think you can go right away... do you have any leave stacked up??? I know a rural who walked in one day and told the PM to put them on leave until the end of the month (about 3 weeks away) and then they'd be retiring... ?

Thanks
I will have 200 hrs of al to cash out. Won't be able to use it shortage of subs and leave keeps being denied. Will take the pay to help cover until pension starts.

Is that an option? Didn't think you could cash it in. I thought unused leave just went towards retirement date.

How soon after you send in application for retirement can you retire? Will turn 62 next month and need to retire asap. Have scheduled phone call with hrssc. Can I retire within a week of sending in application?
OPM is pretty good and I'd imagine you'll get your first check about as scheduled. Two things to remember here. The first couple/few checks will be estimates until they get all your employment records and verify the actual annuity amount. Once that's done you'll receive the difference owed in your probably third or fourth month annuity payment. Also if you retire at the end of June (as example) your retirement starts July 1 but you get paid after the month so your first check arrives Aug. 1 Good luck to you!

I retired the same week. I used the retirement videos on lite blue and a local person that checks over postal retirement forms for a minimal fee. Never did talk with hrssc except to request the blue book.

Had phone call Monday with hrssc sent application in express mail and last day is Friday. Was told that because I had direct deposit my last payroll check and final check for AL will be deposited into my account. Will not have to go to office to pick up checks. Thanks for all help.

Had to go to office for last 2 checks, one of them lay in post masters desk, until a 204 -b accidentally saw it and called me.
Sorry for your bad experience. They're all not like that. I asked them to send my last check to my house and they did. Depends on the character of management that you had.

Back