Route Awards - 14 days no update

RURALTSK

Bidding closed April 1st at midnight. We have no updates to awards, which to my knowledge is required to be posted within 10 days of closing.

Multiple transfers, people from different cities have moved... what’s the guidelines here?

I’m not sure if it’s incompetence or a lack of empathy. (Maybe both)

Shouldn’t we receive information without filing a grievance?

This Lack of communication has me considering leaving the union.

btdtret

RURALTSK -- "Bidding closed April 1st at midnight. We have no updates to awards, which to my knowledge is required to be posted within 10 days of closing."

-- Best to get in touch with the Assistant District Representative.

-- Route should have been awarded within 10 days of the close of bidding -- by the COB on the 11th, in your case.

-- Then manglement has 21 days to place the successful bidder on the route. Usually shorter than the 21 days as the carrier should be placed on the route on the 1st day of a new pay period.

-- Whomever gets the route should grieve to have placement back dated to be "made whole".

-- Manglement should have been notified by email of the successful bidder. Manglement out on vacation, so no one has checked emails lately??

gerl2

RURALTSK -- "Bidding closed April 1st at midnight. We have no updates to awards, which to my knowledge is required to be posted within 10 days of closing."

-- Route should have been awarded within 10 days of the close of bidding -- by the COB on the 11th, in your case.

-- Then manglement has 21 days to place the successful bidder on the route. Usually shorter than the 21 days as the carrier should be placed on the route on the 1st day of a new pay period.

-- Whomever gets the route should grieve to have placement back dated to be "made whole".

-- Manglement should have been notified by email of the successful bidder. Manglement out on vacation, so no one has checked emails lately??
I bet its management who got the email but failed to tell the winning bid.

RURALTSK

Thanks for the information.

This was my understanding as well. Management has not received an email, out supervisor is the best I’ve seen in my years here. My union official is n the dark, or pretending to be.

Should those awarded grieve back to the first available pay period after the 11th or the pay period after if not taken care of?

This would be the last available pay period within 21 days after the missed 10 day posting.

Kind regards!

Rt2mailman

If you are satisfied with not knowing who won the bid and the past date of the award, continue, as you have been, and do nothing. If, however, you disagree with your wonderful manager not following our contract, have a 1st step discussion with him. If HE fails or is unable to comply with the contract rules file a grievance. At that point and ONLY after YOU file can your "In the dark " union official help you. It seems you are considering getting out of the union for a reason that the union can't change without YOU. Filing a grievance starts with a carrier, not a union official, therefore YOU are allowing this delay by not yet having filed a grievance.

RURALTSK

If you are satisfied with not knowing who won the bid and the past date of the award, continue, as you have been, and do nothing. If, however, you disagree with your wonderful manager not following our contract, have a 1st step discussion with him. If HE fails or is unable to comply with the contract rules file a grievance. At that point and ONLY after YOU file can your "In the dark " union official help you. It seems you are considering getting out of the union for a reason that the union can't change without YOU. Filing a grievance starts with a carrier, not a union official, therefore YOU are allowing this delay by not yet having filed a grievance.

I’m the only person who files grievances at my station for missing pay... everyone else just takes the loss. I’ve filed several, so I’m not letting this go.

I have paperwork ready to hand the steward who will be in tomorrow.

Thanks!

Last edited:

RURALTSK

I’ve spoken to the assistant district representative, waiting or info as a grievance will be handed to the local steward tomorrow.

Thanks

stillfirstclass

cant stand it anymore. bet a dollar you're not alone on lack of info.. and union would not file a class action why?? Rt2, you seem to be very good, but my observation is union stewards are overwhelmed if they are good and the rest aren't smart enough to stay dry when it's raining.

Rt2mailman

Class action grievances can only be filed when two carriers call their Stewart and make a complaint. It's hard enough to get one carrier to actually step forward to have a first step discussion it's even harder to get two carriers to have a class action . All carriers need to realize that any fix starts with them not the Union.

PastOThirty

Can skip step one, and go straight to class when more or less, the action involves and is assigned by a higher authority as a blanket affecting all carriers. Eg when the district mandates the un-enforceable, make the call to the DR. Discussion with the local oic or postmaster is pointless because it isn’t up to them. And they will tell you exactly that, unless totally fabricated, which tells you the dr is still needed.

Rt2mailman

That is exactly what our Dr. Did when satchels were "required ". That still required a call to the Dr. With out our eyes and ears the union can't know what is going on in our offices, unless you have a steward that will tell them.