• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Rt. cut by 1 hour

rb8jm

What is the procedure for cutting routes, I was never notified by my post master that my route was being cut. I received the form 50 in the mail telling me my route had been cut. I thought there had to have a count before a route is adjusted. again I was never told by anyone in my office that this was happening.
How are compensated for dropping mail at rural post office.

Mileage adjusted down after route inspection?
Usually when we say route cut, it means miles and boxes are taken off of one route and put on another. Is this what happened?
Or did your evaluation go down without your knowledge?
The previous carrier probably got by with not keeping the edit book accurate , mine is pretty accurate as 10/27/20 , I think maybe they took my post office drop. My latest edit book showed about 20 more total boxes than I have now.
How much compensation is giving for dropping mail at rural offices ?
Yes, I was never told my route was being cut .

Grieve it if you don't know how get your steward. This may be only a test. Machine testing your willingness to fight for your rights. If you belly up its a win
For them. If you get a feasible explanation it's still a win. But if you can slap them back sometimes they will leave you alone and try the games on some other hard worker. That's priceless. Good luck .you got 14 days from when you got served. Hit it or eat it.

The previous carrier probably got by with not keeping the edit book accurate , mine is pretty accurate as 10/27/20 , I think maybe they took my post office drop. My latest edit book showed about 20 more total boxes than I have now.
Yes, I was never told my route was being cut .
First you should ask for a new/current 4241A. Management can print it. Then you can compare it with the previous one. See what changed.
Previous carrier didn't keep book up to date. After you updated, the box count went down 20 boxes?

First you should ask for a new/current 4241A. Management can print it. Then you can compare it with the previous one. See what changed.
Previous carrier didn't keep book up to date. After you updated, the box count went down 20 boxes?
Boxes down according to book, but have 15 new nbu boxes .
What about the Post Office drop pay ? I think they have removed it because I don't drop off it everyday.

rb8jm -- "What is the procedure for cutting routes, I was never notified by my post master that my route was being cut. "

-- That is easy -- Article 30.1.J. Carrier's Rights in Route Adjustments.

- notified in advance
- opportunity to submit written comments
- if a substantial adjustment - needs to be approved at a higher level than the installation

-- Now the hard part -- how much of a cut / drop was made? 1 hour? Or more? ( My bad -- missed the 12 hour cut )

- Depending on what the standard hours were prior to the cut, a drop of 1 hour could be triggered by a new measurement of the mileage. IF so ask HOW it was measured. If by a new scanner or a vehicle different from the usual route vehicle, ask for a remeasurement - Article 30.1.E. - and ride along in non-pay status.

- As noted above, a drop ( cut ) in classification could be triggered by removal of territory ( and mail boxes ), parcel lockers, mailboxes becoming vacant, getting a postal-provided vehicle, among things.

-- How much mail is involved with the Post Office drop? The other post office does not get mail everyday!?

-- Is a locked pouch involved? ( pay is based upon weight )

-- Towards the bottom of the new Form 50 is a place for a 3 digit code which indicates why the Form 50 was generated. Some detail provided in the "remarks" section. Anything in the new Form 50 remarks section.

The bottom line starts at 30 minutes a week or 5 minutes a day, but at mail count they weigh everything going to post office so if it hits(sorry forgot the weight) it will add more time. The reason why I remember this so well in 2018 last count the Aux was fuming cause cheap PM was hauling boxes that came in to lighten the load.

Not enough info really. The usual culprit is the scanner says you have 70 miles and your 4003 says 75, so PM adjusts it without saying a word.

I recently had a box taken from me, but im fighting it. Fight everything, you'll either win or lose.
Hello!!!!!!!!!! NRLCA, all you DR's and ADRs are you hearing this! I brought this up at one of our State meetings to a member of the National board and it was blown off as not possibly happening!

In my case I lost a negotiated mileage increase that was granted to me during a count by a previous PM for mileage traveled for refueling. I don't have a gas station on my route therefore I'm required to travel 6 miles twice a week to fill up. That I lost was was 2 miles (24 minutes) a day as those two miles were being shown as an overage by the scanner. I gave up arguing it!

The good news is that is one of the final questions asked during the first phases of the mapping process! "Is there a place to refuel on your line of travel?" And it gives you a list of gas stations in the area for you to select one so that will be added to your evaluation in the future. That is if RRECS ever becomes reality!

Last edited:
Please tell me you're refusing to fuel up?
Sometimes you just have to pick your battles, it's usually not worth the collateral damage. It wasn't in this case! It didn't change my immediate evaluation but basically took away bank time that was within that evaluation range! We have a really good, give and take relationship I felt it was my turn to give. It will be referenced when I would like something more pressing to be addressed. Also as I said if RRECS is ever applied I will get it back!

Hello!!!!!!!!!! NRLCA, all you DR's and ADRs are you hearing this! I brought this up at one of our State meetings to a member of the National board and it was blown off as not possibly happening!

In my case I lost a negotiated mileage increase that was granted to me during a count by a previous PM for mileage traveled for refueling. I don't have a gas station on my route therefore I'm required to travel 6 miles twice a week to fill up. That I lost was was 2 miles (24 minutes) a day as those two miles were being shown as an overage by the scanner. I gave up arguing it!

The good news is that is one of the final questions asked during the first phases of the mapping process! "Is there a place to refuel on your line of travel?" And it gives you a list of gas stations in the area for you to select one so that will be added to your evaluation in the future. That is if RRECS ever becomes reality!
Actually, the formula for refueling says to take the additional mileage (12 miles ) and average it daily and WILL be added to total route mileage. So it's not a negotiation; it's contractual.

Actually, the formula for refueling says to take the additional mileage (12 miles ) and average it daily and WILL be added to total route mileage. So it's not a negotiation; it's contractual.
My point was that I had to point it out to the PM to make it happen, I had to negotiate the results. It wasn't just given to me. We discussed it in great detail without having to file a grievance.

Back