Rural Carrier Contract Negotiations Update

Deer smearer

"The Postal Service is now considering these proposals and the parties will have a follow up meeting in early January. At that time, we will have a better picture of whether we are heading towards a fair and just negotiated agreement or whether we are looking at the possibility of impasse followed by mediation and/or interest arbitration."

It's way past early January.

W.T.F.

Voglio-il mio

Did they say it was going to be early January 2019? I just bet they didn't just so that they CYA that statement!

Last edited:

DB.Cooper

Yeah, they're great at sticking to schedules... like the Time Study results WILL be implemented by May 2015... :rolleyes:

Gotrope

I don't think I'll ever work under compensation from rrecs. The last five years my rt has constantly been under DPS s/s revision from failing reviews. It's actually nice knowing you can do the rt in evaluated time now😉

But, I do worry with the LACK OF INFORMATION forthcoming from national that they are putting the rural carrier job in peril. I've been in study offices and I would estimate 70% of the carriers were incorrectly instructed on new rrecs duties and 100% were not instructed on the " why are procedures changing" because that was need to know. Who was so concerned the actual carriers in the study couldn't understand the impact on their jobs/income they couldn't answer such a simple question? This is the modern age, we have mail, internet, social platforms, telenet meetings, etc.

Please, I beg the Union, get your message out there directly. Do not rely upon your locals to get the word out - it's not happening. How difficult is it to solicit 30 pre-approved questions to answer and video or post the answers.

I understand it is every employees responsibility to inform themselves to the best of their ability to protect their rights. But, with 99% of the information being provided by management, the union needs to step up their information access to members at the very least. Every week in my office I observe about 200 hours of unpaid off the clock time. Per week. Is mgmt interested in fixing this? I don't think so!
There are a meriad of work tasks that affect us at every negotiation. The union needs to get the word out on what those are and how they can negatively impact ones pay when done incorrectly. Think outside the box on how to provide information. It's a brave New day, seize it!!

Getting off my soapbox...🏃

Bleostic

Depending on the outcome of the new contract, I might decide to leave the union. It has done nothing for me, stewards are incompetent, in bed with management and the union has secretive meetings with USPS and the member is not able to see or hear what is being negotiated right now. People keep working hours they will never get paid for (consequently lowering your hourly wage already) Where is the union when they brought on all that Amazon, No where.. Then, the union protects all those crappy carriers that would have lost their jobs ages ago at any other business. Should the union protect their members, YES, but not when they are clearly incompetent and a drag on the USPS's bottom line, period. Also, here in the state I live in, they have just passed a $15 minimum wage. Now, just making a couple bucks above minimum wage and ruining my body at this pace, without benefits or appropriate compensation just isn't worth it. So if the contract is going to be a dud, then I will leave the union as they have proved themselves to be irrelevant at this point. I can use the union dues for other bills I have. Any thoughts on this?

Last edited:

DB.Cooper

💩Hail we got "Dave" right here on this message board... and "Dave" said he was sent here by the Union, and he's here to help... maybe he'll put out the straight poop... 💩

Any thoughts on this... yeah, my thought is, the sooner you get the funk out... the sooner you'll be realizing a several hundred dollar pay raise... and that's your best shot at getting a $$$ raise... 🤑

Voglio-il mio

I understand it is every employees responsibility to inform themselves to the best of their ability to protect their rights. But, with 99% of the information being provided by management, the union needs to step up their information access to members at the very least. Every week in my office I observe about 200 hours of unpaid off the clock time. Per week. Is mgmt interested in fixing this? I don't think so!
There are a meriad of work tasks that affect us at every negotiation. The union needs to get the word out on what those are and how they can negatively impact ones pay when done incorrectly. Think outside the box on how to provide information. It's a brave New day, seize it!!
This would require NRLCA to communicate! I was hoping that with the draining of the swamp that happened at the last convention communication would improve but it looks like my hopes were unfounded.

Voglio-il mio

Depending on the outcome of the new contract, I might decide to leave the union. It has done nothing for me, stewards are incompetent, in bed with management and the union has secretive meetings with USPS and the member is not able to see or hear what is being negotiated right now. People keep working hours they will never get paid for (consequently lowering your hourly wage already) Where is the union when they brought on all that Amazon, No where.. Then, the union protects all those crappy carriers that would have lost their jobs ages ago at any other business. Should the union protect their members, YES, but not when they are clearly incompetent and a drag on the USPS's bottom line, period. Also, here in the state I live in, they have just passed a $15 minimum wage. Now, just making a couple bucks above minimum wage without benefits and ruining my body at this pace without benefits or appropriate compensation isn't worth it. So if the contract is going to be a dud, then I will leave the union as they have proved themselves to be irrelevant at this point. I can use the union dues for other bills I have. Any thoughts on this?
I have set myself up to do just that, come the end of the dues year (which is June 30th), I will no longer be sitting on the fence about being a NRLCA member. last year I sent in my sf1188 to cancel my payroll deductions. After being successful in doing so, I became an annual cash paying member. My thought process in doing this is that if I agreed with the results of the new contract as well as the new pay system I would renew my membership for at least another year! Should I renew each year after that will be based on the old saying, "what have you done for me lately ". This site and all the information that is available through the use of its links is all that one needs to stay informed about our craft. Its been proven that our vote on contracts and such means very little and that any other communications from the NRLCA is nonexistent.

Last edited:

DB.Cooper

I so badly want to have faith and confidence in our union, it's just difficult with what they release to the membership. Or don't release.
Wouldn't it be great if we could all get on here and yuck it up about how the union was gonna kick @$$ and take names at the contract table... like we're all gonna end up with 10% pay raises, new USPS-supplied delivery vehicles, 30 minute paid breaks every day, etc., etc... 🤪🤩🤑

But instead, all we get are pay cuts, cuts to the old, worn out, hand-me-down LLVs, NO paid breaks, etc., etc... 😥

Reality... what a concept... :oops:

R5

For the longest time I couldn't figure out the real reason for the ARC position created a few years ago. Didn't understand how a ARC can be guaranteed hours on Sundays over a RCA if the RCA wanted to work. Then I noticed through the Maryland rural mailer the hundreds of NEW union members every 3 months. Guess who they are? ARCS. What a great deal for our ASSociation. Create a lower paying craft employee, screw the RCAS that wanted to work Sundays, all to get new paying members. The ones in my office told me that they were all told during training the importance to becoming members. What a racket.

gotstamps

For the longest time I couldn't figure out the real reason for the ARC position created a few years ago. Didn't understand how a ARC can be guaranteed hours on Sundays over a RCA if the RCA wanted to work. Then I noticed through the Maryland rural mailer the hundreds of NEW union members every 3 months. Guess who they are? ARCS. What a great deal for our ASSociation. Create a lower paying craft employee, screw the RCAS that wanted to work Sundays, all to get new paying members. The ones in my office told me that they were all told during training the importance to becoming members. What a racket.
ARCs make the same as an RCA. The position was created to give RCAs a day off in offices that work them 5-6 days per week... like mine. Unfortunately, I don’t think the PO cares to hire for this.
It’s the perfect job for the 9-5er that needs a little extra pay or even a College kid. I wish this had been available when I was in the “office world”. Working evenings & weekends for minimum wage was exhausting!

Crispcracker

I would love to know how many"lengthy meetings" have actually been held and what it is that our association is looking for from the USPS. But that info is "top secret" and the membership is not on the "need to know " list. Looks like it will be arbitration and a long wait. My immediate concern: our cola and no raise for the foreseeable future
Transparency is key yah ole

Bleostic

ARCs make the same as an RCA. The position was created to give RCAs a day off in offices that work them 5-6 days per week... like mine. Unfortunately, I don’t think the PO cares to hire for this.
It’s the perfect job for the 9-5er that needs a little extra pay or even a College kid. I wish this had been available when I was in the “office world”. Working evenings & weekends for minimum wage was exhausting!
More like 6 to 7 days a week, until the 7th day was no longer allowed since the fall of last year, in our district anyway.