RURAL PTF VACANT ROUTE

btdtret

Best answers
Maildude911 -- " If a route is Vacant can a PTF be assigned to it as a hold down?"

-- Is the vacant route a K route?

-- Does the vacant K route have an assigned RCA?

-- Off hand, I'd say no as a PTF is assigned a minimum of 2 K routes. Manglement would have to find a replacement to serve the PTF's other "string" route(s).

-- On the other hand, Article 30.2.D.2. Whenever the leave replacement assigned to serve a route is temporarily unavailable or no leave replacement is assigned to the route, the Employer may require a part-time flexible rural carrier to serve the route prior to requiring those substitutes, rural carrier associates, or rural carrier relief employees who are second or third leave replacements designated for that route on the leave replacement assignment list.

-- Manglement does the assigning of "string" routes and Article 3 - Management Rights - pretty much gives them a free hand to get the job done.

-- Anyone??

gotstamps

Best answers
If a route is Vacant can a PTF be assigned to it as a hold down?
If the route is already a part of the PTF String, it is not necessary for it to be removed. Mgmt can allow it to stay & the PTF can work it. Rules still apply to the PTF position: Mgmt isn’t required to work the PTF any hours over the combined total of the String hours & mgmt doesn’t HAVE to use the PTF on the String routes.
If it not already in the PTF String, mgmt must follow the Contract & allow an RCA to change their Primary to it. If there are no takers, then mgmt may add the route to the String if they choose.

On a personal note... I feel that this is a “glitch” in the PTF position & that a PTF should work those String routes on Relief Days unless the Regular is working. I also feel that the “hold-down” rules should apply when the route is on a String (that it should be removed from the String & bid to an RCA). JMO

drakeME

Best answers
I worked as the defacto regular for over a year as a PTF...it probably doesn't "have" to be done this way, but makes the most sense.

Maildude911

Best answers
Maildude911 -- " If a route is Vacant can a PTF be assigned to it as a hold down?"

-- Is the vacant route a K route?
Yes it is a K route
-- Does the vacant K route have an assigned RCA?
No assigned RCA, It became Vacant while it was part of my string

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ok so I guess I got the answers...correct me if im wrong

1) If the Vacant Route is a K route and is part of your string, you can hold it down

2) If the Vacant Route Is a K route and is not part of your string, another RCA can request to hold it down and make it their Primary Route

Thank you all for your support and time I appreciate it

w2e2w2e

Best answers
If this is due to a change in the route..carrier out for long term, retired, or something similar

I would say that management is required to offer it to RCA by seniority, then if no takers it becomes part of a ( your) PTF String.

If it has been vacant and you were put on it as part of your string you have more rights, but this is where you lose as a PTF because of an RCA has their eyes open they can make a grab for it.