Rural Route Evaluated Compensation System (RRECS) Pilot Test Begins

Old Fart

Just have to restate, again. City carriers in our offices, and those I've worked in, nearly ALL want to be evaluated. They're angry, upset, have zero control over anything in their world, are constantly pushed by management to stop wasting time and work faster. The exact opposite for rural carriers. Yes, many of us work an hour for free, but the trade off for peace and the ability to run our own show is priceless, even to those who are financially struggling. NO rural carriers want to be managed like city.

It's city who is envious of us. Not the other way around.

I know all offices are different, I've worked in different ones myself. Just saying for what my world looks like.

RDruckus

I'm glad to hear offices exist without the draconian tactics exhibited by my Abrasive PM.

I hope it continues, and spreads!
I forget, at times, that professionalism exists in USPS management in places, despite the overall management culture.

(In my office, Rurals are ridden much like city carriers.
I continue to document, and fight infringement of my rights.
But......RCA told me yesterday she went home and cried because of lies spouted by PM in floor talk a few weeks back -- subs not allowed to ask for days off, etc. I told her most of the info barked out by PM was bogus. Told her to contact ADR, and outlined what rights she has that are being denied.
BTW, most of our RCAs knew the information in that floor talk was not accurate. )

In the meantime, I will contractually continue to create a ruckus!

Jacob6875

Just to remind everyone..... a test run of rrecs was done 2 years ago with 2500 routes involved in that test. What happened during that test run? How come the NRLCA won't divulge those results to the craft. I'm very curious. DR by the way claims to have no knowledge of those results. Why another test?

Our office was one of those. Each route had to go in and map our park point and delivery point for all of our packages. And make sure all of our mailboxes were in the correct place etc.

Never heard anything after we went in and did it.

RDruckus

Just to remind everyone..... a test run of rrecs was done 2 years ago with 2500 routes involved in that test. What happened during that test run? How come the NRLCA won't divulge those results to the craft. I'm very curious. DR by the way claims to have no knowledge of those results. Why another test?
I asked our grand exalted Poobah @ Duke Street those very questions.
I sent my questions through the mail.
I never got a reply.

Oi veh.

Staff member
Shh I’m still learning what I need to know for a count if and when it ever happens. Don’t want me and the regs I work for to get screwed. Feels like I am back in school again everyday I swear 😂😂.
Thank you so very much. Wish all RCAs were as conscientious as you. Bravo!

too many yrs left

Just have to restate, again. City carriers in our offices, and those I've worked in, nearly ALL want to be evaluated. They're angry, upset, have zero control over anything in their world, are constantly pushed by management to stop wasting time and work faster. The exact opposite for rural carriers. Yes, many of us work an hour for free, but the trade off for peace and the ability to run our own show is priceless, even to those who are financially struggling. NO rural carriers want to be managed like city.

It's city who is envious of us. Not the other way around.

I know all offices are different, I've worked in different ones myself. Just saying for what my world looks like.
I've always laughed at how envious other crafts claim to be when our days are light. Since we always have openings in our craft I've offered every one of them the ability to switch over. Not a single one has ever did it. Meanwhile we have had plenty leave rural to go to both city and clerk. And I would bet once RRECS starts measuring time every day for loading, end of duty duties, etc... these mgrs will have plenty to say about you rurals too.

Old Fart

I've always laughed at how envious other crafts claim to be when our days are light. Since we always have openings in our craft I've offered every one of them the ability to switch over. Not a single one has ever did it. Meanwhile we have had plenty leave rural to go to both city and clerk. And I would bet once RRECS starts measuring time every day for loading, end of duty duties, etc... these mgrs will have plenty to say about you rurals too.
Regular carriers don't trade because they can't, either way, without resigning and starting over.

RCA's have moved to CCA and clerk for two basic reasons. They gain benefits fast and the path to regular is much swifter. It's not the nature of the work that causes the shift. I've helped train 200 RCA's and it's NOT our work or evaluation, it's benefits and fast track to regular carrier, job security. Those that have moved have been straightforward about their motivation.

Agree with you though. The benefit of rural craft is independence. When we are monitored, confined, harassed just like city, then the only difference is the pay and the strength of our union. No more breaks when we feel like it. Lunch at specified locations, no deviations. Load times strictly enforced. Take DPS to the street since no credit allowed for casing....and on and on. We are going to become city carriers, so with a loss of the freedom and managing our own mail, etc, then why not go hourly? Lots more work for management, too, as they will have to do all the analysis of every action, and make clock ring adjustments every morning for rural carriers too.

FrozenToes

Load times strictly enforced. Take DPS to the street since no credit allowed for casing....and on and on. We are going to become city carriers, so with a loss of the freedom and managing our own mail, etc, then why not go hourly? Lots more work for management, too, as they will have to do all the analysis of every action, and make clock ring adjustments every morning for rural carriers too.
Don't want to discus city vs rural since this thread is about RRECS.
We can case DPS, but there is no compensation for doing so. Same under RRECS.
If RRECs gets implemented , management will be monitoring our variable times daily.
Just like SPM and driving reports.
Why are you taking so long to load?
Why are you still in the office after completing the route?
What are the details of the rural reach discussion?

Itstillfun

Machine is one way and only gets worse. This new improvement, that is really an anchor to pull it all under, is just a cog. Wooden Cog when everything else is titanium. How weak is wood ? Priceless when it buys machine T.I.M.E.

EthelAnne

why not go hourly? Lots more work for management
There's your answer right there, and why the USPS is so determined to keep the evaluated system. I don't think it necessarily saves them money on carrier pay; I think it saves them money on management pay.

A couple of other comments I wanted to make on this long thread: as others have noted, why another "pilot test" (from the Department of Redundancy Department, btw--a "pilot" is a "test" you freaking morons)? Back right before Covid hit, in my district we were about to do training for people to go out into the field to offices to help carriers map their delivery points and this was to be the final step before implementation. This was it, this is done, we are ready to go live after this last thing--at least that's what we were told--and I was desperately trying to get out of that training session because it would have me traveling all over the freaking state and then I got the email saying it was cancelled due to Covid-19 concerns.

So what happened in the last year that made them jump back to "pilot" phase, adding a really inconsequential number of routes (20 per state?) to the "test"? Covid and the influx of parcels and decline in letters/flats? Wasn't this new system supposed fairly account for all that? Why did Covid make a difference?

Because this system is unworkable and even though it was supposedly designed to address those variations in mail volume, it could not, which is why they decided to "collect more data" (which at this point is nothing more than a delaying tactic) rather than implement.

Someone needs to bite the bullet and abandon this whole thing, but I'm afraid too much time and too much money has been invested and too many egos will be hurt by admitting it was folly all along. Both the USPS and the NRLCA will continue to go along because 1. No one wants to admit what a colossal mistake this whole thing was and 2. No one has an alternative (except for hourly, which neither party wants to do)

Last edited:

Gotrope

If RRECs gets implemented , management will be monitoring our variable times daily.
I want to know if anyone is addressing the driving your route twice because of delayed parcel distribution. Whether late trucks, using rcas for parcel sorting or stupid large volume - we are having to be more efficient by the second just to get home at night. Dropping large stuff first for safety/efficiency should not be a negative. Most actual paper mail at local offices rolls to the next day. But not the glorious Amazon stuff. Priority baby.

Voglio-il mio

I agree yes they may try to micro manage all those variable times for a short time or periodically. But after the newness wears off, everything will be back to normal. Our evaluations changes with the RRECS adjustments will be annually or biannually, "Yet to be determined" . Managements abilities to focus and carry through with something like that will be unlikely for that length of time!

What I'm saying is it doesn't effect daily or weekly income. So the urgency to keep Carriers in line will wane! Managements attention span wont be able to handle it!

Last edited:

Old Fart

I want to know if anyone is addressing the driving your route twice because of delayed parcel distribution. Whether late trucks, using rcas for parcel sorting or stupid large volume - we are having to be more efficient by the second just to get home at night. Dropping large stuff first for safety/efficiency should not be a negative. Most actual paper mail at local offices rolls to the next day. But not the glorious Amazon stuff. Priority baby.
Bottom line? Someone in an office somewhere ALWAYS knows better about how we should do things.

We are time wasting, potential criminals, and should be monitored and directed more closely than criminals incarcerated themselves.

Old Fart

Agree, the "city" point was just to indicate that's the direction we're moving for references.

That IS the KEY, it gives management lots more bogus data to come hammer carriers with. Gives them power to dictate exactly how we use our time. Gets exception reports so anyone over or under the line is questioned.

Labor point -- when we have our every move dictated, NLRB says that's an hourly job. We can only be salaried if we have lateral flexibility in our specific routines daily and are not clocked for each routine, but for the sum total of them. I'm paraphrasing, in general.