• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Satchel use

Toolate -- "Do we have to wear satchel every dismount delivery? "

-- Has manglement established a policy regarding the use of the satchel? If so, follow it.

-- Was the satchel in use during your last count?

- If so, what was the time allowance for getting it, putting it on, loading it up, returning to the vehicle, unloading it and storing it until the next stop?
- If not, remind manglement doing the above for each stop will add [ significantly ] to your street time.

"what corrective action if caught not using it?"

-- If there is an established policy for the use of the stachel and you are caught not using it, probably expect a warning at a minimum or an LOW at the worst. And progressive discipline for future incidents.

They have never been issued to us in our office.

Yet, our DM emails safety warnings about dog bites...."Make sure you use your satchel to protect yourself."

Well, they were never issued. I only have one due to knowing a retired postal employee. PM worried about them ruining their budget.

@Toolate what district are you in?

If you've been issued one, yes you must use it every dismount because...

You will get emergency placed if caught without it.

In philly district, not the only one to be seen without satchel and or other infractions. Po gone when I returned and sup did say anything and I saw him with Po making the observations. Never heard of any disciplinary action taken for this infraction.

Bluezone -- "What is it supposed to be used for? "

-- Taking small to medium parcels along with the customer's mail, accountable(s), etc. plus dog spray, nanny scanner, pens, flashlight, etc. to the door.

-- To fend off attacking animals or birds.

-- City carriers are supposed to have 35 pounds of mail in it.

Sprocket et al -- "emergency placed"

-- Another term for Emergency Placement found in the ELM's Section 651.4 -- Emergency Placement in Off-Duty Status.

-- An employee may be placed in an off-duty nonpay status immediately, but remains on the rolls when he or she:

- in the case of not using a satchel when directed to do so: Fails to observe safety rules or Fails to obey a direct order.

-- Manglement has been known to prolong the discipline process, so best not to do anything that would result in an Emergency Placement.

-- If one already has some discipline issues such as a LOW in one's record, discipline could "snowball" for the worst in a hurry.

Sprocket et al -- "emergency placed"

-- Another term for Emergency Placement found in the ELM's Section 651.4 -- Emergency Placement in Off-Duty Status.

-- An employee may be placed in an off-duty nonpay status immediately, but remains on the rolls when he or she:

- in the case of not using a satchel when directed to do so: Fails to observe safety rules or Fails to obey a direct order.

-- Manglement has been known to prolong the discipline process, so best not to do anything that would result in an Emergency Placement.

-- If one already has some discipline issues such as a LOW in one's record, discipline could "snowball" for the worst in a hurry.
we work for bullies

I used it during my last count a year ago from last September (special count they were trying to put me in the "L" status). I can't remember how much it added, but it took me up to the next hour change! Sweet satchel! Just threw it on top the of parcel or tucked it under my arm. I had my PM time me - open door, put satchel in, close door, open door pick up satchel, close door - then reported # of parcels I took to the door everyday times satchel time and wha la $$$$$ :)

In philly district, not the only one to be seen without satchel and or other infractions. Po gone when I returned and sup did say anything and I saw him with Po making the observations. Never heard of any disciplinary action taken for this infraction.
Because if there are no subs, any emergency placement would require management to figure out how to get the route delivered including putting themselves out on the route. Can't see management in a big hurry to do that. Satchel use was demanded until use of satchel actual time was to be 8127 time. All of a sudden it was "suggested" that satchels be used. Another "it's built in to the time standards" attempt. But this time it did not work.

Back