Satchels Again

RDruckus

District has ordered us to carry satchels any time we dismount. Went through this about 12 years ago, and here we go again. Shop steward said he'd check into getting us paid (He hasn't yet, only been 6 days). We got no training, and some, including me, got no strap! I LOVE juggling one more thing on my way to the door. I've been timing myself daily and putting it on the 4240, along with requesting 8127 time. Supervisor also doesn't know how we get paid, either.

stillfirstclass

District has ordered us to carry satchels any time we dismount. Went through this about 12 years ago, and here we go again. Shop steward said he'd check into getting us paid (He hasn't yet, only been 6 days). We got no training, and some, including me, got no strap! I LOVE juggling one more thing on my way to the door. I've been timing myself daily and putting it on the 4240, along with requesting 8127 time. Supervisor also doesn't know how we get paid, either.
pretty simple. 8127

Morty

Well, your district has to approve it. In the USPS mind, it is a safety issue, thus you do it pro bono, goodwill, free.

You have to grieve it as a permanent change, column 17. When you time, you time to take out of vehicle, put on your shoulder, take off, and put back. LLV about 6 seconds, POV about 10 seconds. During the 2 week study, dismount for every package. Its your time to screw them over, so do it.

My district enacted this last year, went up to step 3, took 4 months. All the 4240 entries i put in were pointless.

Rt2mailman

No training? I hope you don't hurt yourself by tripping when you are wearing it over your neck and it catches on a fense or hand rail. That type of injury would be the USPS's fault not the carrier. When they wanted to start that in our district our District rep. jumped down their throats with several class action grievances. Haven't ever seen a satchel.

btdtret

RDruckus -- " I hope you don't hurt yourself by tripping when you are wearing it over your neck and it catches on a fence or hand rail."

-- To add to "Rt2mailman's" examples: or when a dog grabs the satchel when the strap is around your neck -- better have the can of dog spray in your hand. ( not that it is all the effective )

RDruckus

No training? I hope you don't hurt yourself by tripping when you are wearing it over your neck and it catches on a fense or hand rail. That type of injury would be the USPS's fault not the carrier. When they wanted to start that in our district our District rep. jumped down their throats with several class action grievances. Haven't ever seen a satchel.
I put the strap on my shoulder, my 100lb+ dog has given me personal training on some things a dog can do! BTW, satchel is now covered in dog hair from the many dogs I encounter daily.

RDruckus

RDruckus -- " I hope you don't hurt yourself by tripping when you are wearing it over your neck and it catches on a fence or hand rail."

-- To add to "Rt2mailman's" examples: or when a dog grabs the satchel when the strap is around your neck -- better have the can of dog spray in your hand. ( not that it is all the effective )
I carry both, will do my best not to be a dog attack victim. I'm not a lion tamer though, I can only do my best. (If anyone doesn't get that, it's because they're a manager)

Jess

It's in city contract to use mail bags.. However, rural is paid based on the route size. Mileage, volume, packages etc...We were timed how long it takes to take to put the bag on and off daily X that number say 3 mins getting out over Well 100+ times a day. It was an hour extra a week. District didn't want to pay us for that time and said we no longer have to carrier them. It is NOT in rural carrier contact to carry a mail bag for dismount. It's an additional duty and a total pain in the ass. We were being followed and if we were caught without them when we dismounted we would get written up. This last 6 month till finally our union backed us up on this and said if they want us to use them they must pay us.

I’m sure thoes mail bags cost a lot of money and most of them went in the trash. Buying one for every single route in the whole entire Richmond (Virginia) district sounds like a a few Thousand.

mwellis32

The 603 says nothing about satchels? Who comes up with these loony rules? And we are just to do it because of who said so? I've got enough to carry to the door. You want me to carry a life preserver around my neck too? I guess I'll toss my satchel in the closet with my shoe ice tracks that I never wore! When ya'll going to follow us around with a port-a-potty and change our diapers for us?

Windindaface

Been there, done it, over it. An old rule devised by people who never delivered Rural mail. Filed 8127 time for this new procedure. My old holey reissued satchel developed mold from moisture seepage in LLV. Did I keep it secure? No I placed it for easy grab. Requested another, never got it because I'm not tossing it into my washer. What ever happened to scanner prompts of known animal location? Another idea fail.

SOP for my offices is.. If you are aware of critter and spot them, blow horn obnoxiously to draw customer attention even if home is on the otherside of road. . If customer does not exit dwelling scan item as animal interference, no notice. Bring item back the next day repeat. Upon 2nd day, critter spotted, horn blow and no response write item up.

borkna

All -- Google "dog attacks Detroit mailman".
That was intense. A good reminder to never mess with dogs. Just yesterday there was a German Shepherd the size of Caldwell County on the other side of a fence looking like he wanted to eat my face off. I took the parcel to the door, but I was thinking, "if this dog wanted over that fence, pretty sure he could get over it." I probably should have backed out.
People always act like I'm such a wimp if I don't want to get near their dogs. I had a guy on Wednesday who just let his terrier thing come at me. Didn't even bother to call the dog away or tell it to stop. I hoped back in the van, rolled the window down to hand him his package, and he mean mugged me like he wished my entire lineage never existed.
Another guy told me, "he'll probably lick ya to death..." I'm like, uh, yeah right....that dog looks like he'd make an exception for me today.

Rt2mailman

Since there were no guidelines/directions/training on the safe use of the satchel I took the opportunity to write some up myself. Please post these important instructions on your bulletin boards.

Safe use of "The Satchel"
1) The weather will soon be changing and all carriers will be asked to drink plenty of water and sit in the shade when over- heated, not now with the NEW and improved SS (safe satchel) which can also be fashioned into a type of sombrero, and worn on your head for sun protection.

2) The SS can also be used when a large dog is in attack mode. With 3 smooth rocks always kept in your satchel pockets any carrier can use the straps and satchel together as a type of sling, like David used to "slay" Goliath. Practice is needed to become proficient with the SS in sling mode, so every morning your supervisors will be instructed to run through the office at exactly 8:30 AM for carriers' "target practice".

3) Last but not least your SS can be used to carry mail, small parcels or your lunch.

4) Be advised that discipline will be issued for:
Carriers that are found to line the inside of the satchel with tin foil and make their scanners seem to "disappear" while backing or going on unauthorized deviations on their mail routes, or when used in place of comfort stops and then left in the pm's office.

charlie

You can also pull a Sir Walter Raleigh with your satchel... He's the guy who laid his cape in a puddle so the queen would not get her shoes wet...
If they ever had suggestion boxes...Suggest satchels be made of Nomex. When llv's catch on fire the satchels could be used as fire protection as you bail out...

hockey94

The other day we were told, we are supposed to carry a box, say the size of a shoe box, to the door if we need to get a signature, the box will be used to ward off a dog, oh yeah, use the dog spray as well.

So we have our scanner, dog spray, certified (pen if ppl are not signing the scanner), 3849, small box, am I forgetting anything. Oh yeah, many of these items can be clipped on our clothing ! Fat chance !