September 2019 Count?

Iguanus

Anyone hear or know anything about a count this September? Been waiting to find out before I mail my contract ballot but all I hear is crickets. July Amazon Prime Days reminded me what Christmas this year will be like. Our package handling time should of been negotiated up (at least temporary until RRECS is implemented) for this contract but I'll take a mail count to help ease some of the burden.

nickiegirl62

Is September a all or nothing count? I recently got dps and am expecting to be counted in September falling under the significant change clause but others are saying that it doesnt qualify?

btdtret

nickiegirl62 -- "Is September a all or nothing count?"

-- Article 9.2.C.3.a.(3). The Employer reserves the right to conduct a national count of mail for ALL ROUTES during the last twelve ( 12 ) working days in September of any year. The Employer agrees to notify the Union at the national level at least thirty ( 30 ) days in advance of the commencement of the count. Notification date should be 17 August.

-- The National Convention is from 13-16 August 2019. Folks will be winding down, heading for home. Probably no one at NRLCA HQ on the 17th to get the FAX or certified letter telling of the impending mail count.

-- Special Counts need to have a change in excess of 2 hours or change from L to Non-L or vice versa. Article 9.2.C.11.

-- The part about something negating the validity of the last count and evaluation seems not to matter any longer.

-- MOU #1 certainly has been ignored as well as being vague.

magnolia72

I have a vacation planned for the first week in October. The last mail count we had, my hubby had planned a vacation a year in advance and boom, we lost money on it after I refused to go because of the mail count. I know since our office has gone to DPS in the last couple of weeks, we will be forced into a mail count.

I was told yesterday by PM she got an email saying they must ride all routes before mail count. Shes starting to ride them next week. Has anyone else been told this? If they are telling them to ride the routes I figure mail count is going to happen.

Haychica

I was told yesterday by PM she got an email saying they must ride all routes before mail count. Shes starting to ride them next week. Has anyone else been told this? If they are telling them to ride the routes I figure mail count is going to happen.
We are all be ' stalked' I've heard NOTHING about the MAIL count. .I believe they're waiting to see if we accept the contract.

gotstamps

My PM said last week that there’s been NO chatter at all about a September count. Although there are 3 weeks before deadline for notification, he claims there’s usually a lot of buzzing around.

Windindaface

At aprox of 83,000 eligible voters based upon 2013 #s. . Does anyone know how many will verify these as legitimate voters? How are they counted once verified? By hand or a "pass" scanner device?

Doubt if vote will have any impact on a Sept count. At the speed the Association works it could take 2 weeks to verify and count ballots. So AUG 2 receive deadline. 2 weeks later AUG 16. 30 day notification of a count deadline Aug 17. I feel no empathy for the pack mule who has to drop this mail at our Association ADDY. A 96 from Monday until the 3rd if not held out by clerks as a 1 drop?

The Machine knows Sept is a heavier volume month compared to FEB volume.

DB.Cooper

Is September a all or nothing count? I recently got dps and am expecting to be counted in September falling under the significant change clause but others are saying that it doesnt qualify?
My office got DPS in July a few years back, and it "qualified" us... we were counted that September... just sayin'... :unsure:

Everybody got counted, but if the eval didn't change by at least 2 hours, then no change was made... and your old eval was left standing...

Last edited:
My office got DPS in July a few years back, and it "qualified" us... we were counted that September... just sayin'... :unsure:

Everybody got counted, but if the eval didn't change by at least 2 hours, then no change was made... and your old eval was left standing...
Ok off subject and stupid question but you said yall got DPS a few years back? You are talking about our letter mail that's presorted? Yall havent had that until a few years ago?!? I've worked for PO for over 10 years and worked at many offices all had DPS I just assumed every office was already receiving DPS. If not that blows my mind! Shows how much I know! 🤯

DB.Cooper

Ok off subject and stupid question but you said yall got DPS a few years back? You are talking about our letter mail that's presorted? Yall havent had that until a few years ago?!? I've worked for PO for over 10 years and worked at many offices all had DPS I just assumed every office was already receiving DPS. If not that blows my mind! Shows how much I know! 🤯
Exactly... and a couple above have said they JUST got DPS in the past couple of months... go figure.... I think it was just 3 or 4 years ago for my office... who knew, right??? 🤪

magnolia72

DB, that gives me some hope in my dark tunnel. I'm exhausted from thinking about what's coming because I know it can't be good.

gotstamps

At aprox of 83,000 eligible voters based upon 2013 #s. . Does anyone know how many will verify these as legitimate voters? How are they counted once verified? By hand or a "pass" scanner device?

Doubt if vote will have any impact on a Sept count. At the speed the Association works it could take 2 weeks to verify and count ballots. So AUG 2 receive deadline. 2 weeks later AUG 16. 30 day notification of a count deadline Aug 17. I feel no empathy for the pack mule who has to drop this mail at our Association ADDY. A 96 from Monday until the 3rd if not held out by clerks as a 1 drop?

The Machine knows Sept is a heavier volume month compared to FEB volume.
Ballots go to a PO Box so no “pack mule” will be harmed. 😂

btdtret

gotstamps et al -- "My PM said last week that there’s been NO chatter at all about a September count. Although there are 3 weeks before deadline for notification, he claims there’s usually a lot of buzzing around."

-- "NO chatter" could mean it has already been decided to have a September count.

-- Not to besmearch your PM, but were his / her lips moving?

-- Bits and pieces of anecdotal info has been posted lately, such as "Imibackinhighschool?'s" PM being told to do route instections ( soon ).

-- Then there are the offices that recently got DPS.

-- If someone recently won a DPS review, expect to be counting in September.

-- MOU #18 -- Anyone recently got DPS Flats? Or lost them? That could result in a September count.

-- It's been a while. Is it just during a National Count that all vacant and AUX routes are counted?

EthelAnne

These "ride alongs" are supposed to be performed annually--I've been with the USPS for fourteen years and this will be the second time I've had a ride along (a very new supervisor in my office currently).

Not specifically designed as preparation for the mail count, but a lot of what they're confirming/observing (# of deliveries, stops, dismount distances, etc.) affects our evaluations.

btdtret

PastOThirty et al -- "They like to hire extra help to do a national count. How long is that process? "

-- Probably just refer to the Rolodex of retired postmasters, clerks, etc. Never had any retired carriers during my counts.

-- Anything planned for the last couple of week of September? Need some extra $ for Christmas?

-- Supposedly there is a Count School for "counters"; so probably just a refresher course for some. While I would question if some counters ever attended the school.

Windindaface

@ amIback…There are some small offices in a nearby county who get their letter mail raw and the addys are RR X box #

I have had DPS for 18 years. At Christmas time I still get some letters for customers addressed that way.