• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Sick leave question.

asher78

Coworker came in a week or two ago sick with a respiratory thing. Passed germs around and then missed two or three days. I don’t remember exactly. Came back in and said it was a virus. Never went to the doctor.

Second coworker caught it and missed three days. Also never went to the dr.

Third coworker went to the dr, got antibiotics, but didn’t miss any work. (Spread it around more, thanks.)

Today I woke sick, called sick leave line and took a day. Was diagnosed with a viral sinus infection and given meds. Fever hit this evening so I called in a few hours before close of day and took another day tomorrow. We have a few coworkers with family members with delicate health situations right now and I do not want to be the one to put them at risk plus I feel like crap.

PM messaged asking if I called in again for tomorrow and says he expects documentation when I come back. I have plenty of sick leave and I’ll only have missed two days. The other two clearly had no documentation since they never went to the dr. I didn’t get a sick note because it’s only two days (though I have my dr receipt in email), but I have my meds if he wants proof.

My question at this point is, if he pushes this, do I have a case for harassment since he clearly did NOT push on the other two carriers for this? I’m clearly angry at this point so I’m not sure if I’m thinking clearly. I am a different gender than the other two carriers, if it makes a difference. I truly cannot think of any reason he’d be pushing on me when he didn’t them as that’s the only difference other than he occasionally gets in a snit and takes it out on whomever is in the way like a toddler throwing a temper tantrum.

(I am aware of the contract 513.361 as I’ve been researching this evening.)

Thanks for input.

asher78 -- When you come back to work be sure to stand around the supervisor's or PM's desk any time you feel a cough or sneeze or worse coming on!

"My question at this point is, if he pushes this, do I have a case for harassment since he clearly did NOT push on the other two carriers for this? "

-- Probably have better luck with "disparate" treatment. And leave the gender issue out of it ( for now ).

-- Most likely the PM will cite the need for "documentation" to "protect the interests of the Postal Service, blah, blah.." despite being out for less than 3 days.

-- You can remind the PM that the former President of the US said to stay home if feeling ill. ( just to prevent what happened at your post office ) Of course, the President didn't get into the details of providing documentation, etc.

-- If the PM wants ( demands ) documentation, go to your doctor to get it. Ask for 8127 time to do so. Tell the doctor to send a bill to the PM for providing medical documentation to a third party. The doctor can set the "fee". ( probably will be the last time the PM requires documentation for an absence of less than three days. )

-- Remind the PM if any thing in the documentation "just happens to get spread around the office", that the PM will be dealing with a HIPPA violation ( which is FEDERAL ) and that "plum" follow-on assignment might not happen. In fact the PM might not have a ( meaningful ) job should District get dragged into the matter.

-- If there is a next time to be out for an illness, might as well request 3 ( or more ) days, provide the documentation, and come back healed - as long as you have sick leave to use.

"I should also add, I’m not one to scream harassment, but I am VERY sick of the harassment and favoritism."

-- Okay! Just one situation at a time, please.

I fought hard so that under only an absolute emergency is a PM ever allowed to call me and is forbidden to ever text me.

Always use the sickline. Never call the office. Seen too many times on here, peeps being nice and paying for it.

Might as well call out for the rest of the week since you're on restricted. You already saw the Dr.

And desperate treatment grievance is the better.

I fought hard so that under only an absolute emergency is a PM ever allowed to call me and is forbidden to ever text me.

Always use the sickline. Never call the office. Seen too many times on here, peeps being nice and paying for it.

Might as well call out for the rest of the week since you're on restricted. You already saw the Dr.

And desperate treatment grievance is the better.
I honestly don’t even want to be out tomorrow and I wouldn’t be if I hadn’t started running a fever. I looked like I’d run a race by the time I got out of the pharmacy.

I did do the sick line for both days (but not at the same time, didn’t call in tomorrow’s until a few hours before the end of day). For some reason they’re not a fan of that. Probably because they can’t tell me no or make me feel guilty. So he’s throwing his weight around via text instead.

asher78 -- " So he’s throwing his weight around via text instead."

-- Save some of the text messages to show to your Assistant District Representatives.

-- Manglement is not to call / text via cell phone or scanner to carriers except for emergencies ( family or weather related ).

-- If you grieve, have "cease and desist" as well as "progressive monetary penalty for future offenses" as part of the settlement.

-- Some have posted here that not all post offices get a notice when a carrier uses the unscheduled leave number. Not your problem. Just be sure to get the confirmation number. Note the time if there is a problem when using the unscheduled leave number.

If he is going to be nasty to you and you have sick time use it take off the week and go back monday. Our problem is that we care to much and have a good work ethic, myself included, but I am pretty sick of the treatment they hand out, they are creating this monster, I am so glad I have only a short time left, and beleive I will use every sick day I have before I go.

If he is going to be nasty to you and you have sick time use it take off the week and go back monday. Our problem is that we care to much and have a good work ethic, myself included, but I am pretty sick of the treatment they hand out, they are creating this monster, I am so glad I have only a short time left, and beleive I will use every sick day I have before I go.
I’m actually on vacation most of next week (which I put in for months ago) so being sick right now is inconveniencing me way more than them. ? I’d like to be well before flying.

I’m “guessing” they think I took off to go to vaca early, but prescriptions here say no. Plus my flight tickets. Lol I’ll work Friday even if I’m vomiting on their desk. ??‍♀️

asher78 -- "I’m actually on vacation most of next week (which I put in for months ago) so being sick right now is inconveniencing me way more than them."

-- When you get back, hopefully feeling well, don't forget about Article 10 - Leave. Section 3 - Sick Leave. c. Employee becoming ill while on annual leave many have leave changed to sick leave upon request.

Just updating: he never asked for anything. I filled out a leave slip with my confirmation numbers from the leave line, a run down of why I was out including that I caught the junk from a fellow sick coworker and threw it in the leave bin. Never heard another word about it. I was mostly better by vacation, but my husband and two of my kid’s got the sickness during that week thanks to my inconsiderate coworker bringing his funk to work. ? (He infected others, too, who got it way worse than us.)

Just updating: he never asked for anything. I filled out a leave slip with my confirmation numbers from the leave line, a run down of why I was out including that I caught the junk from a fellow sick coworker and threw it in the leave bin. Never heard another word about it. I was mostly better by vacation, but my husband and two of my kid’s got the sickness during that week thanks to my inconsiderate coworker bringing his funk to work. ? (He infected others, too, who got it way worse than us.)

Keep all documentation just in case it becomes needed.
When you call the 1-800 #, you don’t need to fill out a 3971 Leave Slip. Calling the # produces a Leave Slip for mgmt & some mgmt will ask for those to be signed when you return.

Your postmaster asked for documentation. Give your postmaster a note from one of the following; your father, mother, brother, sister, wife, husband, boy friend or girlfriend. The should include "Asher 78 was sick and stayed home to get better".

If your postmaster asked for medical documentation. Go to your doctor and get medical documentation and file a grievance to get paid back for your co-pay.

I called out sick. The supervisor required me to get medical documentation. I went to my doctor. My doctor provided me with medical documentation. I filed a grievance over the issue. The grievance was settled at step 1 when the postmaster took $20. out of his wallet and gave it to me to reimburse me for my co-pay.
Love it!

Back