• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Simplified Mapping

I think your right about some carriers casing their dps during the study. To get 86 ppm something like this could of happened. I know for me, I case dps, and on the street I honestly just peek in my taco and put it in the box. I trust my accuracy, and rarely make mistakes. This would give me a high number in ppm on the street to verify my mail. Average that with those taking dps to the street, and you could come up with that number. Those in the study should not of had the option to case dps. They should of had to take it to the street. Don't know if this happened, but it's possible.

This has always been my assumption. According the the PO-603 we are to verify address before placing mail in the box. ( Don't want a discussion) Some do some don't. Some finger the mail. The engineers let the carriers work DPS how they work it. Try not to influence the work habits. How low would the standard be if all of the casing carriers were made to take DPS to the street ? :unsure:
We have always had the option to case. I guess we still will.
We now have the new standard.

• This has always been my assumption. According the the PO-603 we are to verify address before placing mail in the box. ( Don't want a discussion) Some do some don't. Some finger the mail. The engineers let the carriers work DPS how they work it. Try not to influence the work habits. How low would the standard be if all of the casing carriers were made to take DPS to the street ? :unsure:
    We have always had the option to case. I guess we still will.
    We now have the new standard.
    To me, I verify the mail when I case it in the morning. Takes me 12 to 15 minutes per tray. That's at a rate anywhere between 30 to 38 ppm. Like I said, I peek at my bundle to make sure it's the right address, about 1 or 2 seconds. This shouldn't of happened, IF IT DID HAPPEN, during the study. To answer your question, I believe the standard should be closer to 30ppm on the street. Reaching across body, dealing with misthrows, forwards, etc, is more difficult than in office, and slower to me.
  • Another theory, is carriers were allowed to finger the mail between boxes while driving. Something happened to get 86ppm. Whatever it was, it should not be allowed.

is this ironic or what, we got 43 as it was halfway between what we had and what the po was asking the standard to be. now we end up with a number that is exactly double what it was. something tells me the engineers are just throwing fricking darts to determine the numbers...
Good point, even the arbitrator thouht the USPS high-ball request for 67 ppm was riduculous... now we get 86 ppm... this is even exceeding the USPS's wet dream... totally ridiculous.... the NRLCA was asleep at the switch during this entire "study"... and it shows... SSDD.... :(

• To me, I verify the mail when I case it in the morning. Takes me 12 to 15 minutes per tray. That's at a rate anywhere between 30 to 38 ppm. Like I said, I peek at my bundle to make sure it's the right address, about 1 or 2 seconds. This shouldn't of happened, IF IT DID HAPPEN, during the study. To answer your question, I believe the standard should be closer to 30ppm on the street. Reaching across body, dealing with misthrows, forwards, etc, is more difficult than in office, and slower to me.
  • Another theory, is carriers were allowed to finger the mail between boxes while driving. Something happened to get 86ppm. Whatever it was, it should not be allowed.
It is certainly a combination of already cased DPS and fingering while driving. Frankly, I don't see how we could ever finish our routes if we didn't do that.

DB.Cooper et al -- " the NRLCA was asleep at the switch during this entire "study"... and it shows.. "

-- More than likely the switch as become rusted in the same position ( OFF ) from lack of use!

The entire problem with this RRECS results is... Not a one of them delivered mail, as a newbie or as a REG.

I will also toss this out there for those who case all like I do... Change your case to a Book Read set up so you are not spinning like a corkscrew while casing pre sorted, DPS or pulling down.

These are the documents that need to be released:

"The report consists of an 85-page document containing the Chairperson’s determinations of how the system will work, including capturing the data necessary to evaluate routes, determining the standard time for all carrier work activities, and specifying computer logic for calculating route evaluations.

Dr. Martin-Vega’s submission included an appendix consisting of hundreds of pages of documentation of work content, standard methods, and step-by-step work measurement and statistical procedures used in developing standard times.

It also contained an appendix of 47 support documents that provide background on how he reached his final determinations."

Windindaface et al -- "I will also toss this out there for those who case all like I do... Change your case to a Book Read set up so you are not spinning like a corkscrew while casing pre sorted, DPS or pulling down."

-- To change the case labels, you may come up against Step 4 ( C-6 ). In part: Management WILL determine the initial casing system when a rural route is created. In addition, manglement MAY change the casing system when:

- when a regular route is vacant
- when a route changes regular carrier ( including during the awarding process, provided the carrier is notified prior to accepting the route )
- any time on an auxiliary route
- when unserviceable equipment causes the need for change
- any time by mutual agreement ( that one seems to leave the door ajar for change )

-- That being said, I have nothing to base the pros or cons on using the "Book Read" set up as everyone in both post offices used the carousel set up - around and around we'd go.

-- Does your DPS come in the "Book Read" order?

Wilco et al -- "Dr. Martin-Vega’s submission included an appendix consisting of hundreds of pages of documentation of work content, standard methods, and step-by-step work measurement and statistical procedures used in developing standard times. It also contained an appendix of 47 support documents that provide background on how he reached his final determinations."

-- What a coincidence - there are 47 new standards just for driving.

I wonder how many of the carriers in the study really understood or were instructed properly what to do while they were performing their duties. Did the engineers who know squatt about rural carriers and our jobs, instruct these carriers during the whole process? Something went wrong with some of these horrible standards. Where was the association during this process? Where are they now? Can anyone prove a tray of dps on the street in 5 minutes doing it as we would be paid? No office filing, or pulling holds out, or fingering mail while driving. Example. A average day, a tray of dps would take care of about 100 customers. Again this is average, some days less, some more. 400 customers on average 4 full trays. At 5 minutes per tray on the street, that is doing the dps for each delivery at 3 seconds each. It takes that long just to reach across the body and get your hand in position to start going thru the dps. Not getting the mail, dealing with misthrows etc. Virtually impossible. Waiting for cash$$ to do strap down time. Looks a little complicated, but I see another horrible standard if I'm seeing it correctly.

It is certainly a combination of already cased DPS and fingering while driving. Frankly, I don't see how we could ever finish our routes if we didn't do that.
Some of us can...

and do.

This is why our standards are screwed up, past, present and future.

How hard is it to do the job the way it supposed to be done? Especially when you know the future of the craft is hanging in the balance.

I'm sorry, not yelling at you...just responding to your sentiment. I am so frustrated over this whole mess...between the union not providing any direction, the engineers' ridiculousness and carriers who could care less. They are going to care when they find out what their running did to us all. (I also know that there were plenty of good and conscientious carriers in this study as well. I just think they were outnumbered by the "bad" ones.)

Some of us can...

and do.

This is why our standards are screwed up, past, present and future.

How hard is it to do the job the way it supposed to be done? Especially when you know the future of the craft is hanging in the balance.

I'm sorry, not yelling at you...just responding to your sentiment. I am so frustrated over this whole mess...between the union not providing any direction, the engineers' ridiculousness and carriers who could care less. They are going to care when they find out what their running did to us all. (I also know that there were plenty of good and conscientious carriers in this study as well. I just think they were outnumbered by the "bad" ones.)

I find that just about every rural carrier that I meet, including the 7 or 8 that I have had over the years that serve my home, as well as all the carriers in my office, and ones I have met over the years, don't have a clue with mail counts, second trips, etc and most couldn't tell you one thing about rrecs. Most haven't even heard of it. Total ignorance. How many of these types were in the study? On top of that we have a association that's clueless. No wonder we are in this mess. The blind leading the blind. How is the craft to get informed. The nrlca website has no info, and only for members, national magazine only has fun photos and stupid stuff. The majority aren't going to do the homework necessary to be informed.

Last edited:
I wonder how many of the carriers in the study really understood or were instructed properly what to do while they were performing their duties. Did the engineers who know squatt about rural carriers and our jobs, instruct these carriers during the whole process? Something went wrong with some of these horrible standards. Where was the association during this process? Where are they now? Can anyone prove a tray of dps on the street in 5 minutes doing it as we would be paid? No office filing, or pulling holds out, or fingering mail while driving. Example. A average day, a tray of dps would take care of about 100 customers. Again this is average, some days less, some more. 400 customers on average 4 full trays. At 5 minutes per tray on the street, that is doing the dps for each delivery at 3 seconds each. It takes that long just to reach across the body and get your hand in position to start going thru the dps. Not getting the mail, dealing with misthrows etc. Virtually impossible. Waiting for cash$$ to do strap down time. Looks a little complicated, but I see another horrible standard if I'm seeing it correctly.
They weren’t given any direction and that’s par for the course with the Nrlca. Just as the PO wanted it.

They weren’t given any direction and that’s par for the course with the Nrlca. Just as the PO wanted it.

I subbed in a study office a few times. This office had the disc in the trucks and the enhanced scanner. My first time there, I asked, "what's up with this? The clerk, and the pm gave me a blank look and said, " deliver the route as u normally would" that was my training. I had no clue. I'm sure the info , on the days I worked, was highly accurate! NOT! That, my friends, is what our pay from rrecs will be based on. I'm so over this rrecs crap. Doomed! No instruction what so ever! Multiply that times 4250 test study routes! 2 more years and gone, thank you lord! I love my customers, but nrlca and management? A marriage made in hell!

There were posters way back that stated they were filmed while delivering. They were yo keep 2 hands on the steering wheel until fully stopped at the mail box. Only then could they work the mail.

If that system was used fingering mail would not have contributed to the 86 ppm rate.

Deer smearer et al -- "would not have contributed to the 86 ppm rate."

-- Time out! Exactly where did this "86 ppm rate" come from?

-- The 4241-M RRECS comparison table? Or...

There were posters way back that stated they were filmed while delivering. They were yo keep 2 hands on the steering wheel until fully stopped at the mail box. Only then could they work the mail.

If that system was used fingering mail would not have contributed to the 86 ppm rate.

Doesn't mean they actual kept both hands on wheel. Doesn't mean they didn't file dps in office and just tossed bundle in box without verification of each piece. Doesnt mean they didn't finger the mail. This is ridiculous if this is how they did it. What did they do with the film? How did they get 86ppm? Did they break the film down in segments at every stop and calculate the time that only involved working the dps? You could do this with carriers on the parking lot in the truck with trays of dps with a stopwatch. Hands on stirring wheel, start watch, carrier reaches for dps and gets all of customers mail, stop watch. Hands back on stirring wheel. Repeat over and over until dps is gone. Get average. Ain't no 5 minutes a tray!

Doesn't mean they actual kept both hands on wheel. Doesn't mean they didn't file dps in office and just tossed bundle in box without verification of each piece. Doesnt mean they didn't finger the mail. This is ridiculous if this is how they did it. What did they do with the film? How did they get 86ppm? Did they break the film down in segments at every stop and calculate the time that only involved working the dps? You could do this with carriers on the parking lot in the truck with trays of dps with a stopwatch. Hands on stirring wheel, start watch, carrier reaches for dps and gets all of customers mail, stop watch. Hands back on stirring wheel. Repeat over and over until dps is gone. Get average. Ain't no 5 minutes a tray!

Don't shoot the messenger. The post said everything they did was filmed.

Two hands on the wheel looking forward until stopped was the instruction.

FOIA the arbitration addendum and see how it explains the calculations.

Back