• Please keep questions in the Questions forum to contract, procedures, and requests for documentation. Vehicle, TSP, retirement, etc questions please post in the regular forums. Thank you
  • Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

SL denied

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granny

PM denied SL. Is this grievable? Is there a article pertaining to this in the contract? If I schedule SL it gets denied. If I call in sick then its gets me in hot water. Any advice is appreciated.

Is there a leave replacement available? This means anyone that is breathing within 50 miles that is a leave replacement.

Personally, it has been my experience by the time you grieve something like this you have missed your appointment.

Some in Management think they can play God and deny sick leave " FOR THE GOOD OF THE SERVICE". Did Management give you a reason ?

PM denied SL. Is this grievable? Is there a article pertaining to this in the contract? If I schedule SL it gets denied. If I call in sick then its gets me in hot water. Any advice is appreciated.
Speak with mgmt & ask them to show you where they have nobody to cover the day you are needing. If they refuse or you don’t believe that there isn’t a sub to cover you, file your grievance. Hopefully, you asked for it far enough in advance so it can be settled with you getting your SL day.

If you do decide to call out, be sure to keep ALL documentation to CYA in case of a Pre-D Or discipline.

Speak with mgmt & ask them to show you where they have nobody to cover the day you are needing. If they refuse or you don’t believe that there isn’t a sub to cover you, file your grievance. Hopefully, you asked for it far enough in advance so it can be settled with you getting your SL day.

If you do decide to call out, be sure to keep ALL documentation to CYA in case of a Pre-D Or discipline.
I rarely disagree with @gotstamps, but here I do. Immediately file a grievance. They don't need to show you that they don't have coverage--their job is to find coverage. Grieve it, contact your union rep. Your district needs to know your office is refusing use of sick leave. If you get into any "hot water" file a retaliation grievance.

Whether or not an office has coverage, carriers still get sick, our kids still get sick and we all have doctor's appointments. Your office needs to hire or borrow RCAs to cover. Make them do their jobs.

Good luck.

Is there a leave replacement available? This means anyone that is breathing within 50 miles that is a leave replacement.

Personally, it has been my experience by the time you grieve something like this you have missed your appointment.

Some in Management think they can play God and deny sick leave " FOR THE GOOD OF THE SERVICE". Did Management give you a reason

Some in Management think they can play God and deny sick leave " FOR THE GOOD OF THE SERVICE". Did Management give you a reason ?
The reason for denial is the same bs that is always given. "Need of service". There is a sub available in my office but not scheduled! I doubt that PM tried to find someone within 50 miles. Pm is out of the office alot and when there is constantly on the cell phone. The last grievance I filed took 6 months to settle.

I rarely disagree with @gotstamps, but here I do. Immediately file a grievance. They don't need to show you that they don't have coverage--their job is to find coverage. Grieve it, contact your union rep. Your district needs to know your office is refusing use of sick leave. If you get into any "hot water" file a retaliation grievance.

Whether or not an office has coverage, carriers still get sick, our kids still get sick and we all have doctor's appointments. Your office needs to hire or borrow RCAs to cover. Make them do their jobs.

Good luck.
1st step in filing a grievance is a discussion.
Way to many carriers are handing over 8191s without even discussing what the issue is. A Carrier is supposed to TRY to remedy the problem they have with mgmt first THEN file a grievance if they cannot come to an agreement.
The Grievance process is:
* Step 1 Discussion- Carrier discussion with mgmt
* Step 1 Meeting- Union Rep meet with local mgmt
* Step 2 Meeting- DR/ADR meeting with District Labor Relations
etc…

Mgmt is also NOT required to go outside of the office to find coverage for a Carrier’s Leave Request nor are they required to count RDWL peeps as available for Leave Request coverage. It is a “Catch 22” sometimes for mgmt where approving/denying 3971s are concerned. The more time between submission & the date needed you can allow, the more likely it will be approved or be able to be settled in a grievance.

1st step in filing a grievance is a discussion.
Way to many carriers are handing over 8191s without even discussing what the issue is. A Carrier is supposed to TRY to remedy the problem they have with mgmt first THEN file a grievance if they cannot come to an agreement.
The Grievance process is:
* Step 1 Discussion- Carrier discussion with mgmt
* Step 1 Meeting- Union Rep meet with local mgmt
* Step 2 Meeting- DR/ADR meeting with District Labor Relations
etc…

Mgmt is also NOT required to go outside of the office to find coverage for a Carrier’s Leave Request nor are they required to count RDWL peeps as available for Leave Request coverage. It is a “Catch 22” sometimes for mgmt where approving/denying 3971s are concerned. The more time between submission & the date needed you can allow, the more likely it will be approved or be able to be settled in a grievance.
I disagree, sick/annual leave is an earned benefit that should be approved, pm can work a route if he can’t hire enough people to get the job done. His/his manager’s lack of ability to hire is NOT something that the carriers should fix, that’s their problem. When the job is too hard or pays too little to gain new hires, we shouldn’t be the ones fixing their problem by having our CONTRACTUAL BENEFITS denied. I’ve called other offices and asked if any Rca’s were available when I needed a day off for something and after checking with a few Rca’s, always found someone willing to help, usually because they were my friends.
After that, with a filed grievance being sustained, due to management Not doing their due diligence in finding help, I had a “precedent set” grievance to be used over and over. Don’t let their problem become yours.

Last edited:
I wouldn't put my health in jeopardy. Make the PM do their job. How many times have we heard "safety first, we care, or just today some hot air being pumped up where the sun doesn't shine (on the scanner), "thank you for your service to the American public". You can't be of service to anyone if you don't take care of yourself. You have earned it. The PM has a leave replacement, use it. I would leave a paper trail and DOCUMENT everything. This kind of BS fries my eggs.

You could always take /show your DENIED 3971 to YOUR physician and have YOUR physician contact the Postal Medical Dept. and speak with their medical personnel to emphasize the importance of the appointment(s) and, in turn, have the Postal Medical Dept. contact YOUR office regarding the matter. Perhaps that might put a different perspective on the matter. Your medical information WILL remain confidential and ONLY discussed between the medical professionals and NOT anyone from your office.

Please take care of your health and don’t let bad management get in your way. Over the years seen way too many people bow down to management and cancel their appointments and put their health and well-being on the back burner. Call in sick, go to your appointment and get a sick excuse. Then come back to work and hand your piece of trash postmaster your “Get out of Jail free card”.

If you have a doctors appt. why wouldn't you just call in sick and ask the doctor for a note.Deny my doctors appt 2 weeks in advance I don't think so write me I don't care.
Carriers are allowed to schedule sick leave. If you have doctor’s appointments that can be scheduled in advanced, sick leave can be used. Management shouldn’t be denying a SL slip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back