Something I noticed has changed with flats. Not FSS

Windindaface

Best answers
There is no FSS here. There is something new I noticed today with the plastic wrap flats.

Instead of 1 flat in individual wrap. I counted up to 5 in plastic wrap for the customer. I tore a corner off of one of the 5 bundles to see what rags were in the 5 pack. 3 were monthly mags. 2 were weekly mags.

It made it obvious to me the Machine has reached out to mailers for those of us not under FSS to combine their flat mailings in a one pack. For a 1 flat credit for 5 in a bag under RRECS.

The annoying part besides the PHAQ You credit was the biggest flat was in the center. You grab biggie and sense baggage.

neciat

Best answers
Years ago, there was talk about having "packs" or bundled mail for each address. For example, a given customer on a route would receive their 4 letters and two flats wrapped. That is how we would receive it and that is how it would be delivered along with any residual / hot case, etc. mail.

neciat

Best answers
Now, the next logical question is which entity is going to pursue this issue as influencing a count ? We have all heard of and / or been threatened with termination for just that very reason. Will it be the NRLCA ? I think not but that is just me. Will it be the the NALC ? Perhaps. Or, will it be some lone warrior that brings this to the attention of say the NLRB or the like ?

Lloyd Christmas

Best answers
I think it probably has something to do with rate pricing. Maybe USPS recently started offering cheaper rates to publishers to bundle together multiple subscriptions for the same customer.
As a customer, I think I would rather get them like that.
As a carrier, my biggest peeve about them is they like to stick together. You have to pull at the bottom to make sure it's all one bundle.

neciat

Best answers
It may or PROBABLY NOT have something to do do with rate pricing but it is MOST CERTAINLY has everything to do with how we are paid. The P.O. screws up all the time with stuff like this. They give a mailer a break in price to have a mailing ECRWSS and they turn around and bust those bundles and run them in the DPS all the time and inverted at that. The reason ? 18 of those would make a minute if they came the way they came. But in DPS with an LLV it now takes 43 to make that same minute and 30 in a POV to make that same minute. Then say that they had to run them inverted because they would not run otherwise but they do n ot go back and charge the mailer a non-machinable rate. What a cluster !!

btdtret

Best answers
neciat et al -- "Years ago, there was talk about having "packs" or bundled mail for each address. For example, a given customer on a route would receive their 4 letters and two flats wrapped. "

-- Yep, I remember that- although the mail would be in a plastic bag -- probably similar to the morning paper.. And I submitted a suggestion to send up the chain that "The Carrier Is Not Responsible For The Contents." be printed on the bag.

-- Neither my suggestion nor the "bagged" mail plan went anywhere -- thankfully.

neciat

Best answers
BTDTRET----Then, you'll also remember those AARP newsletters, not the "real" magazine, but the other ones. They USE to come as a flat. 8 of those made a minute, which was subsequently changed to 10. Well, then that mailing "all of a sudden" came folded so now they met letter size criteria. All about cutting our pay.

btdtret

Best answers
neciat -- "-Then, you'll also remember those AARP newsletters, not the "real" magazine, but the other ones. They USE to come as a flat. 8 of those made a minute, which was subsequently changed to 10. Well, then that mailing "all of a sudden" came folded so now they met letter size criteria. All about cutting our pay."

-- Sure do! The good old AARP Bulletin.

-- Along those lines, probably in 2002, VALASSIS / ADVO suddenly went from addressed to a box holder ( right before Count in our area, no less! ).

-- Probably just a postal "coincidence" that it happened after the PMG ( probably Potter ) visited VALASSIS / ADVO HQ for a photo op tour.

-- Those were the days!!

neciat

Best answers
Then there those A.O.L. disks we got at count , a ton of them, that came in a tin that we had to dispute ( document and grieve ) and we finally "won" and got parcel credit added to our times and the next time they came they were all packaged differently. Gee, I wonder why ?

btdtret

Best answers
neciat et al -- "Then there those A.O.L. disks we got at count , a ton of them, that came in a tin that we had to dispute ( document and grieve ) and we finally "won" and got parcel credit added to our times and the next time they came they were all packaged differently. "

-- As long was we are traveling down "memory lane", might as well toss in NetFlix disks had to be separated from the outgoing mails, but GameFly ( I think ) didn't. Although GameFly did win a grievance later on to get separated.

-- See the "fun and games" the younger generation missed out on?

DB.Cooper

Best answers
8/18.... wow, what a trip down memory lane... with RRECS's 86 ppm, we've come a long way.... and not in a good way.... 😢

PastOThirty

Best answers
Besides the immediate and personal impact, switching to a bundled flat of 5 periodicals vs 5 individually measured gives me the impression the employer threw away a lot of revenue. I know flats and periodicals are a money loser, but this seems to exasperate it.

Wilco183

Best answers
Pretty much gone are the good old days when under the evaluated system, we are able to finish early and have some time for ourselves and family.
Not so much today.
Just my two cents, but if they offered me hourly I would take it.
At NALC wages with proportional clothing allowance for footwear and inclement weather gear.