• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Something I noticed has changed with flats. Not FSS

I remember, doh doh, I remember, doh doh…...

Seems like long ago I was getting a periodical, something like Boy's Life, or a Boy Scout monthly. It came in bundles wrapped for an individual address. Naturally I opened a few before I realized what was going on there. Thought I noticed it with others like National Geographic, but then again it wasn't a big deal and has been years now.

Sounds to me like something of a natural evolution, some times thought of as progress. Why is something that should make things easier for you labeled as an attempt to take money out of your pocket? You'll be paid for less work because you are doing less work.
wth? i know, our employer has the right to control costs, but most people not in a bubble, know that this bunch will spend/offer discounts/turn away business/ to save pennies on the dollar!!

uselesshasbeen
Because EVERY SINGLE TIME the P.O. implements something to "make our life easier" , it costs US thousands of dollars per year and/or adds hours per day/week of actual work and/or does very little to nothing to actually make our life easier. I , like most of our brothers and sisters in arms here, tend to work a whole lot better when we don't have any "help."

Last edited:
I remember, doh doh, I remember, doh doh…...

Seems like long ago I was getting a periodical, something like Boy's Life, or a Boy Scout monthly. It came in bundles wrapped for an individual address. Naturally I opened a few before I realized what was going on there. Thought I noticed it with others like National Geographic, but then again it wasn't a big deal and has been years now.

Sounds to me like something of a natural evolution, some times thought of as progress. Why is something that should make things easier for you labeled as an attempt to take money out of your pocket? You'll be paid for less work because you are doing less work.
Think back and you might remember that Rurals have an innate motivation to be concerned about any potential loss of time, especially when considering the unbalanced instances that we don't get paid commensurate for the work we do.

Not sure what is being made easier???
As I already stated, some of these bundles are so thick they can't be rolled and have to be worked as chunks which takes longer but of course I won't get the parcel credit for it. And as someone else stated the sticky plastic is not quick to work and you really have to be careful to only pull one of these bundles out. There is not a carrier out there who could work a stack of 100 of these bundles as fast as they would work 100 flats and since 100 is what we would get paid for that is the proper comparison.

There is no FSS here. There is something new I noticed today with the plastic wrap flats.

Instead of 1 flat in individual wrap. I counted up to 5 in plastic wrap for the customer. I tore a corner off of one of the 5 bundles to see what rags were in the 5 pack. 3 were monthly mags. 2 were weekly mags.

It made it obvious to me the Machine has reached out to mailers for those of us not under FSS to combine their flat mailings in a one pack. For a 1 flat credit for 5 in a bag under RRECS.

The annoying part besides the PHAQ You credit was the biggest flat was in the center. You grab biggie and sense baggage.

Just another wage cutting engineered sorting scam. To scam all carriers out of evaluated pay!

STR a nge day s indeed. Spending a lot of time and money trying to keep rural costs down. Going hourly may just save billions. Evaluate d pay is manipulation always in USPS s favor. Disgusting they feel the need and seem to take great satisfaction by continuing to 3rd class rural s.
Already spent billions on sorting machines, nanny scanners, engineered studies, arbitrators and lawyers and stand down talks to cut our paid hours while are working hours keep going up.up.up!

Guess we will need to make the case slots bigger AGAIN. I have noticed it and it takes way more time to work these little mini bundles of flats, they are a big pain in the buttocks. Our union needs to address this standard change, when an opponent changes the rules there needs to be additional compensation.

It's probably about both compensation and rates. I formerly worked in the publications industry. Time, People, Sports Illustrated, InStyle, etc are all owned and published by one company in the same plant for a section of the country. when customers subscribe to several magazines from one publisher, it's better for them to deliver them as a bundle. Time and Sports Illustrated and People are weekly magazines and customers who subscribe to them all get them all on the same day. There may be some rate advantages to doing it that way, and the PO likely pushes the concept because it's ONE flat vs FOUR flats., but it's also a plus for the publisher. Those that include Robb Report should be PARCELS! That thing is huge. Remember though that City gets credit for FEET of flats, not the number, which is different from us. Delivery Supervisor measures each morning how many FEET of flats each carrier has, and adjusts their route accordingly. So this bundling impacts Rural routes more significantly. Right?

Nahhhh...........All I really got out of the post was genuine sincerity. UHB was just asking ; that's all. I was not the least bit offended or taken by the post and I hope that no one else was either. My post directly responding to UHB was not delivered with any anger, malice, sarcasm, etc. I was just responding with the facts that can and have been documented, verified, witnessed, as well as attested to by many of the various previous posts on a topic awhile back when some of us were recalling the days when a 48K could fit into a DJ5 delivery jeep and we'd be done by noon. So, all the "improvements" the P.O. has done has brought us to where we are now and the NRLCA is most certainly not without blame as well. I have a saying that I use quite often ; STOP THE CYCLE OF IMPROVEMENT FAILURES. Me, I learn from my "improvements". I also don't make the same "improvement" twice. So, everyone please cut UHB some slack.

We get at least two a month end to beginning. Our rurals don't care, but city has a moo cow as they have to take to the street and work backwards.

Besides the immediate and personal impact, switching to a bundled flat of 5 periodicals vs 5 individually measured gives me the impression the employer threw away a lot of revenue. I know flats and periodicals are a money loser, but this seems to exasperate it.

right on the money there pastothirty....or....right on throwing away income...

Ok, we all complain about hourly vs salary here, and how USPS is trying to get us all the time.
Did we not all have the option when we first went regular to be hourly or salary?
I distinctly remember signing the paper...dont remember what it was called...
But every new conversion to regular is offred that choice.

There is no FSS here. There is something new I noticed today with the plastic wrap flats.

Instead of 1 flat in individual wrap. I counted up to 5 in plastic wrap for the customer. I tore a corner off of one of the 5 bundles to see what rags were in the 5 pack. 3 were monthly mags. 2 were weekly mags.

It made it obvious to me the Machine has reached out to mailers for those of us not under FSS to combine their flat mailings in a one pack. For a 1 flat credit for 5 in a bag under RRECS.

The annoying part besides the PHAQ You credit was the biggest flat was in the center. You grab biggie and sense baggage.

I remember getting those even before I retired 4 years ago. But then it seemed to be all low circulation magazines, stuff I'd never heard of. None of the biggies like Time or Sports Illustrated, etc. I just thought that those smaller magazine companies must have found it cheaper and/or easier to use an independent mailer/distribution company that worked with several or more publishers.

Ok, we all complain about hourly vs salary here, and how USPS is trying to get us all the time.
Did we not all have the option when we first went regular to be hourly or salary?
I distinctly remember signing the paper...dont remember what it was called...
But every new conversion to regular is offred that choice.

When new that is offered to you for the balance of the current guarantee year that you are working in. At the start of the new guaranteed year you go on to the evaluation system (Salary). In most cases being hourly for the balance of your first year is only worth it if you will be working through the holiday season due to not being able to make the evaluation for several weeks.

Years ago, there was talk about having "packs" or bundled mail for each address. For example, a given customer on a route would receive their 4 letters and two flats wrapped. That is how we would receive it and that is how it would be delivered along with any residual / hot case, etc. mail.

That sounds cool, but there's no way USPS could iron that out. That would be an engineering feat!

Not to hijack this thread...but following what Voglio said....hourly is only worth it if you are on a new route for holiday season ..
So otherwise our evaluated system is better??

Back