• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Stand up about blinkers

MikeCr.

I usually lurk here, and hardly post. Thank you for all the information I come across here. It's an excellent community.

Rural side, we were told we are to use blinkers at every box we are servicing. Blinker to box, and then blinker leaving box. I tried finding the wording in the Rural Carrier Handbook, but to now avail. Can anyone please point me to the actual wording to this? And if not in there, is this a grievance? This is solely about blinkers, and not flashers.

Bonus question: We are a matrix office, for a route that doesn't have a primary sub, is there an order of consideration based on seniority?

Thank you for any replies.

I usually lurk here, and hardly post. Thank you for all the information I come across here. It's an excellent community.

Rural side, we were told we are to use blinkers at every box we are servicing. Blinker to box, and then blinker leaving box. I tried finding the wording in the Rural Carrier Handbook, but to now avail. Can anyone please point me to the actual wording to this? And if not in there, is this a grievance? This is solely about blinkers, and not flashers.

Bonus question: We are a matrix office, for a route that doesn't have a primary sub, is there an order of consideration based on seniority?

Thank you for any replies.

I guess this would be in what state you are in, once you go all the way of brim the car behind has right of way so technically that is when you would use your blinker to merge back onto road, if your tire is still on road that gives you the right of way and blinker should not have to be used. I believe they are just doing this so the cars behind are aware of what you are doing, I guess call it an annoying safety thing. My boss tried that with me and I went over our laws, so far that seemed to pacify her for now

I guess this would be in what state you are in, once you go all the way of brim the car behind has right of way so technically that is when you would use your blinker to merge back onto road, if your tire is still on road that gives you the right of way and blinker should not have to be used. I believe they are just doing this so the cars behind are aware of what you are doing, I guess call it an annoying safety thing. My boss tried that with me and I went over our laws, so far that seemed to pacify her for now

Okay, will check out state laws. Was curious if there is any actual wording in any official USPS papers. Thank you for the reply.

MikeCr. -- you will have to get a bit more specific in the use of terms.

-- POV or LLV?

-- What to do you mean by "blinkers"?

- direction turn indicators?
- 4-way flasher?
- strobe lights?

-- As "gerl2" noted different states have different laws governing their use. About 2/3's of the states prohibit using 4-way flashers while driving in the rain. Sort of like each post office seems to do things a bit differently.

-- Some of our city side LLV have strobe lights which do not interfere with directions turn indicators.

-- The rural side LLV's have 4-flashers which DO interfere with the directional turn indicators. Probably the same for POV's.

-- VMF personnel have told rural carriers NOT to use 4-ways flashers unless stopped by the road side. As do some states.

-- The real problems arises when on real rural routes servicing along highways as the 4-way flashers over ride the direction turn indicators.

-- Not so much a problem when servicing off the highway in residential areas. ( I kept mine on, as well as the head lights, as I wanted the LLV to be seen. )

-- Good luck in finding anything specific in USPS / NRLCA handbooks, manual, etc.

-- Google: "use of 4-way flashers"

-- For some specifics -- Google "LLV operator's manual - nalc" POV users -- you are on your own.

PS -- Blinkers, Part 2:

-- Academy Instructors, LLV Driver Course Instructors, recent Academy "graduates" -- what is being taught regarding blinkers, 4-way flashers, strobes, etc??

-- Anything in the RCA "check-off" O-J-T-I manual / course?

- page 10 -- Hazard Light Switch -- operate switch to make ALL TURN SIGNALS turn signals and side marker light flash

- page 29 -- EMERGENCIES -- Hazard Warning Flasher -- use the hazard warning flasher to warn other drivers any time the vehicle becomes a traffic hazard, day or night. ( side note -- since LLV's can catch fire at anytime, that IMHO would make them a traffic hazard all the time! ) Avoid stopping on the roadway, if possible. To activate the hazard warning flasher, operate the switch on the instrument panel ( #17 on page 7 ).

Be sure to turn off the hazard warning flasher when it is no longer needed. If a turn signal is activated while the hazard warning flasher is on, IT WILL NOT be clear to on-coming traffic that the turn signal is operating. To turn off the hazard warning flasher, operate the switch on the instrument panel.

-- If you find something specific in state laws, manglement will probably say it does not apply to postal vehicles.

PS -- Academy Instructors, LLV Driver Training Instructors, recent Academy "graduates" -- any info regarding blinkers, 4-way flashers, strobes, etc??

PPS -- Since PS Form 4584 ( 2006 ) ( Observation of Driving Practices ) has Block # 18: Used vehicle flashers when appropriate under the Responsiveness to Weather section -- ask manglement when would be be appropriate to use vehicle flashers ( in writing if possible )! ( If the answer is: "Use the flashers when it is raining." could very well be against the law in some states! )

Last edited:
Here’s another one, I don’t have a deffinate answer to, but is what I do is:
As I’ve stated before, I don’t use my 4 way flashers (beings my POV uses brakes, blinkers, and flashers all on same bulb in rear, 4 ways over rides brakes and blinkers) unless I’m pulled over and out of vehicle to deliver a package.
When I’m pulling up to a box to deliver mail, I don’t worry about signaling I’m pulling over (my 2 mail carrier signs on the back, and my roof mounted strobe light is telling you, I make frequent stops). However, I always look in my mirrors before pulling away from a box, if I see a car in my mirrors, if they are close, I wait until they pass me before I pull out, but if I can safely pull out, without interfering with them driving, I do use my turn signal to let them know I’m re-entering the road way (this also depends upon oncoming traffic, if an oncoming car, and a car from behind are some what close to the same distance from me, I’ll just sit at the box and allow both to pass by). And, if no car behind me, but there’s an oncoming car, again, I signal my intention to re-enter the road way..... when I see no vehicle in my mirrors, and there’s no oncoming cars, I don’t bother with signals.... but I also try to stay on the shoulder of the road (or off in the gravel part of most of my rural roads) until I’m almost to the speed of the road before I fully re-enter the road.....
Twice now (on my old aux route) I noticed I was being followed/being observed, and since there was a car in my rear view mirrors, I signaled my intentions to re-enter the road......
The way I look at it: use common sence. If you see a car, in front or behind you, use signals to let them KNOW your intentions. Use common sence, if they are so close to you that you’d put them in danger, wait til they have passed you before pulling away from a box. But if you can safely get moving without hindering them, signal your intentions....

Remember one thing. Common sence, isn’t very common any more. Always assume those behind you, or in front of you, don’t have any at all. Signal your intentions.

Last edited:
The US Mail sign and flashing light might not be enough.

You're right, it wasn't enough.
When I was rear ended at the box in July of 2016, and rear ended in a snowstorm in February of 2019, I was in a rural LLV with strobes going.
(The lady playing Pokeman-go said she saw me and my strobes, the lady eating spaghetti said, "I just couldn't get around you." I don't know when she took her eyes off her plate. :rolleyes: )

Some of this safety stuff can get kinda crazy but what can you really expect from people who make the rules but have never spent a single day delivering the mail?

I run an LLV on my route. I use my four-ways every day, all day when delivering the mail. We had the same stand-up probably where they told is every time we approach a box we are to turn off the four-ways and use the turn signal while approaching the box. When stopped at the box turn off the signal and turn on the four-ways. When pulling away from the box, turn off the four-ways and turn on a signal. When back on the road, turn off the signal and turn on the four-ways.

Six. Hundred. Times a day.

Meanwhile, keep an eye on the road, everything around you and your seven mirrors.

And don't forget that if anything happens it's your fault. This stuff is getting insane.

Some years back district tried to mandate curbing wheels and putting vehicle in park at every mailbox!
Local Union reps nipped that stupidity in the bud by asking for base hour changes to all routes.

I would expect these idiots to take the RCA training and deliver a route for two weeks. ? :ROFLMAO: ???????????

Back