• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Start Times...

formerlyknownas

What time do you all start work? We have been at 7:00 am except during peak season which was 6 because of running parcels. Notice put up by scanners when they got back yesterday that starting the 20th start time will be 7:30. No announcement just posted by scanners. Not sure why, but one reason given is that the clerks are tired of the carriers staring at them as they throw parcels. I just think it's odd during the hottest time of the year to start a half hour later.

We have been starting at 7am our PM is changing our start time to 8. She was making us do 5-6 withdrawals getting just our spurs as the clerks were sorting them into hampers so we started writing down extra withdrawals on our time sheets to get paid for them. She got mad cause we wouldn't do the clerks work for them. we told her it makes no difference wether we start at 7 or 8 the clerks still have to bring them to us. she did it just piss everyone off. We are trying to fight it but I'm sure it will fall on deaf ears...

we have a 6:45 start time, and usually our flats and all letters are at the cases waiting for us. and most parcels have been thrown, except for the amazon trucks, which usually arrive around 7:00. i have time to case all mail, including dps. if you want to take dps to the street, you can get waiting time for a day or two, but i'm sure if it became a regular occurrence, start times would be moved back. there usually done with amazon by 7:30. hardly ever have anyone to work hotcase mail before i walk out the door. they barely make it around with acountables before 8:00.

Every clerk and supervisor should be on the floor in the morning. Even if they only work one hour. That's what they contractually agreed to. So all hands on deck. That would be a viable argument in a grievance. Because next will be: be back by 5, no excuses. At least if you had the grievance, you'd have more ammo to fight and possibly put your start time back to 7 come the November nightmare.

formerlyknownas -- " We have been at 7:00 am except during peak season which was 6 because of running parcels. Notice put up by scanners when they got back yesterday that starting the 20th start time will be 7:30. No announcement just posted by scanners."

-- From past postings here, other offices with even later start times would be happy with 7:30 am.

-- The calendar is not important to the USPS.

-- When do the mail trucks arrive? What time to the clerks start? If it is before 6 am, then they get night time differential pay and money is important to the USPS!

" No announcement just posted by scanners."

-- Too bad manglement didn't post it ON the scanners, then that would have been a grievance since it is not really an emergency.

-- At least you got an advance notice, although not exactly with a personal touch.

-- Check the 4240 to see if the return time has been changed!! Or for the Dispatch truck. ( Probably NOT! )

formerlyknownas -- " We have been at 7:00 am except during peak season which was 6 because of running parcels. Notice put up by scanners when they got back yesterday that starting the 20th start time will be 7:30. No announcement just posted by scanners."

-- From past postings here, other offices with even later start times would be happy with 7:30 am.

-- The calendar is not important to the USPS.

-- When do the mail trucks arrive? What time to the clerks start? If it is before 6 am, then they get night time differential pay and money is important to the USPS!

" No announcement just posted by scanners."

-- Too bad manglement didn't post it ON the scanners, then that would have been a grievance since it is not really an emergency.

-- At least you got an advance notice, although not exactly with a personal touch.

-- Check the 4240 to see if the return time has been changed!! Or for the Dispatch truck. ( Probably NOT! )

7:30 isn't as horrible as 8, but.....Amazon truck shows up at 4 so yes, we do have clerks getting night pay. Not sure why he did it this way usually a really great guy and great with letting us know what it going on. What'll be funny is if the PM has to stay later because of carriers being out later. Usually the super is in at 6 and the PM comes in around 9.

Most districts have already or plan to push start times back due to fewer trucks, fewer plants, fewer machines( half the machines processing 3x the mail they were intended) and fewer concerns by air-conditioned managers of the delivery concerns of carriers in the heat and night.
My district has most rurals start at 8:30 or after. Our office has a 204b who fights to start the carriers earlier. I have been told at district, all carriers will start no earlier than 9 am. We'll see...it's not like mgmt doesn't change boats midstream like a log rider.
And btw, every office delivery supervisor hates this crap. It shortens their window to fix errors or labor issues.

We start at 8.....Auxie at 8:30............the RCA's are starting earlier and putting down 8.............I was at the Feed Store Saturday and witnessed the RCA come in at 7:40..........so this is something that is going to be addressed Monday with the PM.

Doesn't make no nevermind to me if they start at midnight..........but put down when you actually start to work.......quit with the falsifying the time sheet.

This same PM jumped all over the Auxie Carrier one morning...........Auxie Carrier brought in Breakfast to everyone and came in about 15 minutes early to set it all up...........PM made her go out and sit in the car until 8:30..........so let's be honest and fair to all.

if the post office had safety in mind..we would start earlier and get done earlier. but then they would have to bring a clerk or two in early. So $$ supercede safety. It was really nice to start at 630 am. it was like having extra days off. you could schedule a 330 appointment and still make it. now with a 730 start time, i have to use more vacation and sick days. which they dont like. but it cant be avoided.

Our office allows different times for each route. Some start at 6:30 or 7 & others come in as late as 8. A few stragglers come in after 8. Our mgmt doesn’t watch our times in as long as it’s not before our printed start time. Mgmt doesn’t seem to care as long as we show up & work within our evaluation. Half our peeps obviously come in too early since they are loaded & standing around waiting for random mail & parcels, accountables, & “redcard” call.

Our office allows different times for each route. Some start at 6:30 or 7 & others come in as late as 8. A few stragglers come in after 8. Our mgmt doesn’t watch our times in as long as it’s not before our printed start time. Mgmt doesn’t seem to care as long as we show up & work within our evaluation. Half our peeps obviously come in too early since they are loaded & standing around waiting for random mail & parcels, accountables, & “redcard” call.

here, for some stupid reason, they have started figuring start times by the time dispatch truck gets here. So, if you have an 8 hour route, and the truck comes at 430, you start at 8, allowing for a half hour lunch. I dont understand how thats going to work in november. but not my circus.

We start at 8.....Auxie at 8:30............the RCA's are starting earlier and putting down 8.............I was at the Feed Store Saturday and witnessed the RCA come in at 7:40..........so this is something that is going to be addressed Monday with the PM.

Doesn't make no nevermind to me if they start at midnight..........but put down when you actually start to work.......quit with the falsifying the time sheet.

This same PM jumped all over the Auxie Carrier one morning...........Auxie Carrier brought in Breakfast to everyone and came in about 15 minutes early to set it all up...........PM made her go out and sit in the car until 8:30..........so let's be honest and fair to all.
Sounds right... no good deed goes unpunished... Geezy Louisy... no wonder the USPS is such a whale hole to work in.... I used to try to bring in stuff and try to make a better work environment... but after being slighted and $#!+ upon one too many times, I just said to hail with it... I go in keep my head down, and mouth shut, and try to make it thru one more day... truly sucks to be us... our mngt geekazoids have the people skills of buzzards...?‍♀️
1563196832625.jpeg
Image result for image do I look like a people person

Last edited:
callofthewind -- "This same PM jumped all over the Auxie Carrier one morning...........Auxie Carrier brought in Breakfast to everyone and came in about 15 minutes early to set it all up...........PM made her go out and sit in the car until 8:30..........so let's be honest and fair to all. "

-- As long as the AUX carrier was not at the case - big deal. Hopefully the PM's breakfast was especially cold!

gotstamps et al -- "Our office allows different times for each route. Some start at 6:30 or 7 & others come in as late as 8. A few stragglers come in after 8. Our mgmt doesn’t watch our times in as long as it’s not before our printed start time."

-- My last post office was like that with different start times. Played havoc when manglement tried to implement the "Golden Hour" policy where carriers were supposed to work at the case - no coffee, no talking, no etc for the first hour of the day.

-- The "Golden Rule" lasted a couple of days. Tossed onto the pile of other failed postal policies and programs.

Back