Starting to buy into the sabotage theory

csparks

Exactly. When eval works in favor of carriers, no one is screaming to pay the money back. Before COVID tons of routes were clocking in less time on their routes and still getting paid extra.
You asked for an example where "an RCA working less that 40 hours a week isn't gaming the system."

Somehow working 30+ hours and being paid 24 is still gaming the system?

Before Covid this route was not getting done early, just on time. Now, working close to a full day extra per week. Before Covid tons of routes were also NOT clocking in less time. This isn't always gooses or ganders.

shoe72

Today, 1 week before the election, half a dozen or so offices of all sizes didn't get any DPS letters, none, zip, zero. We were told it was lost at the plant. Over half the plant called off Sunday. It's a Monday and we were told to case our political mail(9 different ones) and flats and go. Now Tuesday is going to be a very bad day when it shows up tomorrow.
How can the PO say we can handle the ballots but we can't even get our normal mail to our offices daily?
Sabotage.??..maybe
Ineptitude??..definitely.

FrozenToes

You asked for an example where "an RCA working less that 40 hours a week isn't gaming the system."

Somehow working 30+ hours and being paid 24 is still gaming the system?

Before Covid this route was not getting done early, just on time. Now, working close to a full day extra per week. Before Covid tons of routes were also NOT clocking in less time. This isn't always gooses or ganders.
I'll have to look for the statement. But supposedly routes were underttime, even during Covid. For whatever reasons. Per NRLCA.
Direct response from "Package Calendar" project: Link
"
3) Rural carriers are being exploited...

c. I assure you [sic] we are looking at the numbers. Since the pandemic, national parcel volumes have been up anywhere from 60-80% versus the same period last year. During that same time, the number of regular carriers working over evaluation in a single pay-period peaked in PP11 at 22%. That 22% of regular carriers worked an average of 4 hours per week over their evaluation. The other 78% were under evaluation. The total average hours worked for all routes in that pay period was 4.4 hours per week under evaluation. Other pay periods since March show a very similar pattern with the number of carriers working over evaluation averaging 13% and the total average hours worked averaging 6.7 under evaluation for all regular routes. I understand the feeling that you are being exploited. However it would be very hard to make an argument before an arbitrator that a work force of 78,000 employees who work, on-average, 4 to 6 fewer hours than they are paid weekly is being exploited. That is why we filed a grievance in which we do believe we will be successful. The goal being to get those carriers who are exceeding their paid evaluated work hours compensated at the overtime rate for those hours for as long as it continues without new evaluations."

Last edited:

PastOThirty

I'll have to look for the statement. But supposedly routes were underttime, even during Covid. For whatever reasons. Per NRLCA.
Direct response from "Package Calendar" project: Link
"
3) Rural carriers are being exploited...

c. I assure you [sic] we are looking at the numbers. Since the pandemic, national parcel volumes have been up anywhere from 60-80% versus the same period last year. During that same time, the number of regular carriers working over evaluation in a single pay-period peaked in PP11 at 22%. That 22% of regular carriers worked an average of 4 hours per week over their evaluation. The other 78% were under evaluation. The total average hours worked for all routes in that pay period was 4.4 hours per week under evaluation. Other pay periods since March show a very similar pattern with the number of carriers working over evaluation averaging 13% and the total average hours worked averaging 6.7 under evaluation for all regular routes. I understand the feeling that you are being exploited. However it would be very hard to make an argument before an arbitrator that a work force of 78,000 employees who work, on-average, 4 to 6 fewer hours than they are paid weekly is being exploited. That is why we filed a grievance in which we do believe we will be successful. The goal being to get those carriers who are exceeding their paid evaluated work hours compensated at the overtime rate for those hours for as long as it continues without new evaluations."
What’s the average income in the US and what is the average cost of living in California?

Averages aren’t often statistically relevant, especially if outliers remain.

Parcels up 60-80 percent ytd, but year after year of that kind of growth and any idiot investor would be a gazillionaire. Meanwhile, I don’t get anything out of it, because it hasn’t been counted against my incentive.

I’d be less incensed if they used a median, eliminating outliers. I’d be less incensed if we stopped arguing as if the bump is a failure of our system. It is by design supposed to provide the incentive. The concern shouldn’t be that there is a bump but by how rapidly it shrunk and failed to reinflate.

Last edited:

FrozenToes

What’s the average income in the US and what is the average cost of living in California?

Averages aren’t often statistically relevant, especially if outliers remain.

Parcels up 60-80 percent ytd, but year after year of that kind of growth and any idiot investor would be a gazillionaire. Meanwhile, I don’t get anything out of it, because it hasn’t been counted against my incentive.
Just like saying " since I'm working over evaluation, everyone is"

csparks

All right, minutiae. '"tons of routes"
I was never trying to say "because I work over everyone is" simply trying to point out that because some are under, equally some are over. Refute the whole its either hot or cold notion. My beef is that its not OK to exploit anyone, anywhere regardless of the norm.

The letter from the NRLCA you cite is from July. The data in his response was from PP11. That was in May. I'd say that things have worsened considerably since then. The last few weeks have been a further escalation.

At any rate, I was trying to address the "Please give me an example of where an RCA working less than 40 hours a week isn’t gaming the system."

An Aux RCA getting worked 8 hours a week right now without pay is OK because an NLRCA stat claims some regulars somewhere were under eval sometime before July doesn't cut it for me. Its sure not gaming any system.

Obviously there are carriers that don't have Amazon, etc that are cruising. It may well be a majority given the inaction of the union. Doesn't make alright to screw the rest.

Last edited:

FrozenToes

Just a reminder that this website seems to represent that a significant number of carriers (routes) are/have been overworked for months now. Its all over here, every day. No one has shown any real effort to correct that.

Also the letter from the NRLCA you cite is from July. The data he cites in his response was from PP11. That was in May. I'd say that things have worsened considerably since then. The last few weeks have been a further escalation.

At any rate, I was trying to address the "Please give me an example of where an RCA working less than 40 hours a week isn’t gaming the system."

Saying that an Aux RCA getting worked 8 hours a week right now without pay is OK because an NLRCA stat claims some regulars somewhere were under eval sometime before July doesn't cut it for me.

Obviously there are carriers that don't have Amazon, etc that are cruising. It may well be a majority given the inaction of the union. Doesn't make alright to screw the rest.
Never said it was all right.
But saying "Before Covid tons of routes were also NOT clocking in less time." is not accurate in my opinion.
significant number? 78,000 routes
how many members on this board? 6,274

csparks

Never said it was all right.
But saying "Before Covid tons of routes were also NOT clocking in less time." is not accurate in my opinion.
significant number? 78,000 routes
how many members on this board? 6,274
Alright, should have omitted the word "tons"? Are "tons" under eval, now?
Still, there are/have been routes out there for a couple years that had Amazon dropped after count, that don't make eval.
Like this Aux route in question. 2.5 years he's been over eval, never making 40 hours a week to go hourly, always paid less that he works.
He's getting gamed, bad. Yet he's invested years at USPS, has a family, needs insurance, the whole bit. Hard to watch, and not to feel it should have already been addressed.

Last edited:

Skierstmoritz

That, in essence, is what our union does not do! Stand up for the carrier who is being abused by the system. Imho, the majority of rural carriers are not buried by Amazon and being worked into exhaustion. The majority seem to be ok eval wise. However a significant number of carriers are being abused and nrlca does nothing except pooh pooh the issue. 22% over eval seems to be ok for the union as 78% are ok. It's not right except 78% are loyal dues paying members who only care about their own individual situation and the union is ok with that while the po gleefully exploits that 22 % and divides and weakens the union. Why should leadership care, majority are quiet, union leader salaries are fat, no leaders have had to carry a route for at least 15 years, pension are being built up. Meanwhile 22% are breaking down. No one in power cares. Most carriers have no clue. Just read twingirls posts and you will see the chasm that exists in the rural craft. Personally, no way can i come close to making eval. Evaluated with 57 parcels and carrying over 250-300+ /day. Oh well, guess im just supposed to grin and bear it according to the NRLCA. NOT!

drakeME

Lol. I am the steward in my station and when I was an RCA too. If you think I was bending over to the lazy supervisors, you got another thing coming. I ran an Aux and they would love to try to schedule me the Aux plus a full route. Guess what? Not happening. When they tried to make me help RCAs who were there longer than me because they were slow on their primaries, not happening. No one is coming in under eval during Christmas. I didn’t say that. When I was a sub they definitely tried to pile the work on me, but I also knew my rights as a carrier. As an RCA, you’re not entitled to any days off. The regulars in my office are working seven days so an RCA should be doing the same. It sucks. I know but now that you know, quit if you don’t like it. I happen to love the job so when they tried to schedule me off on Sundays, I grieved it and won. Don’t love what you’re doing, do something else.
No, not Christmas - Covid Christmas. Most "normal" days for many of us are as heavy or (usually) heavier than peak season 2019. There has been no let down this year. The political load on top of it takes it to absurd levels. I finished today in 10.75 hours on an 8 hour route and it felt like a short day.

I don't give a single sh*t what the useless union says I am and am not entitled to.

Twingrlie

No, not Christmas - Covid Christmas. Most "normal" days for many of us are as heavy or (usually) heavier than peak season 2019. There has been no let down this year. The political load on top of it takes it to absurd levels. I finished today in 10.75 hours on an 8 hour route and it felt like a short day.

I don't give a single sh*t what the useless union says I am and am not entitled to.
So quit. I'm on an overburdened route, working six days a week. Parcels have lightened up considerably since February and March in my area. A lot of states have opened back up to some extent. I'll be damned if an RCA is going to be sitting at home on a Saturday while I work. Sorry.

Twingrlie

Our Aux RCA works about 30-32 hours per week (or more) and is paid for 24. This has been going on for months.
2 weeks ago I worked 21 hours and was paid 17.50
I don't even get that. The RCAs here would love to work less than 40 hrs a week. If I were you, I would be helping wherever I could to get to 40.

DB.Cooper

So quit. I'm on an overburdened route, working six days a week. Parcels have lightened up considerably since February and March in my area. A lot of states have opened back up to some extent. I'll be damned if an RCA is going to be sitting at home on a Saturday while I work. Sorry.
You really do sound like a great NRLCA steward... a real advocate for WORKING carriers.... js.... sheezy Louisy.... :rolleyes: