Starting to buy into the sabotage theory

drakeME

So quit. I'm on an overburdened route, working six days a week. Parcels have lightened up considerably since February and March in my area. A lot of states have opened back up to some extent. I'll be damned if an RCA is going to be sitting at home on a Saturday while I work. Sorry.
Parcels have lightened up considerably for some. Some don't even have Amazon at all. Again, congratulations if that's you. I wish we all could have it so easy.

Gotrope

So quit. I'm on an overburdened route, working six days a week. Parcels have lightened up considerably since February and March in my area. A lot of states have opened back up to some extent. I'll be damned if an RCA is going to be sitting at home on a Saturday while I work. Sorry.
We all share our experiences here. Not everyone will have the same results, as they say. The nation is a large and varied place. So is the terrain and mail volumes experienced by our carrier's. To make an assumption, sight unseen, of another route can be misleading. Not all routes are having 8 times average mail with political random. Some have amazon; some don't. Some are cbu; some are single dismounts on gravel roads.

I find it very revealing when carrier's describe a route and seem to make evaluation. Yet, another with different delivery tasks, takes in excess of evaluation. I'm certain the usps is aware of the faster delivery types. Just as I'm certain those types, because of actual time study, will probably lose time. I hope I'm wrong. But, I do know the districts have been eagle eyeing rims of late. Sort of makes one wonder. Especially since birdies are talking about changes in late January or February.

Deer smearer

We all share our experiences here. Not everyone will have the same results, as they say...

...To make an assumption, sight unseen, of another route can be misleading. Not all routes are having 8 times average mail with political random. Some have amazon; some don't. Some are cbu; some are single dismounts on gravel roads.

It’s posts like yours that keep me from responding to other posters and their belief that a carrier must be asleep at the case because they are way over evaluation without a clue of the route being discussed.

My responses would likely get me banned from this site forever.

Thanks.

Quivo

My latest non-Christmas day as a regular carrier. Started at 6:40am and left at 9PM. All because of stacks and stacks and stacks of political mail, and a DPS that every thin little political piece had 2 or 3 stuck to it for another route.

They had 2 city carriers come over to the rural side to help, and the supervisor who used to be an RCA in this office helped, but when I got back close to 9PM, one route was not pulled down, heck, it wasn't even cased up all the way!

Finally, around 6PM they told everybody to look through our DPS, pull the ballots out, and deliver those along with the packages, to be done before 8PM, then resume normal delivery. This is obviously completely stupid and as a rural carrier who cased in everything, I didn't have any DPS anyway.

At least I'm off the next two weeks. This political season has been the worst.

Gotrope

I agree. It has been the worst. When carrier's of over 20 years are walking away short of retirement guidelines or RCA's who have been in the trenches for 10-15 years and never had bad thoughts before. This, this election mail has broken everyone. From supervision to clerk's to carrier's - we are all exhausted and fed up. This morning, an rca picked up their lunch pail, walked out to their car and left. Never said a word. They just walked out. They had enough. Same thing with 30 year employee on Saturday. Just walked out, didn't care.

I really do think many of us have a form of diagnosable PTSD from this election mail. It's a bit like having redplums for your route. But, not one set - 20+ sets of redplums( running backwards and forwards)...everyday, without end.

Old Fart

A key factor most of us are experiencing is the torrent of political mail, from flats to letters to raw mail. This wasn't occurring until the last month or so. Parcel volume was so strong because of Covid, as so many were confined and found new ways to get basics and luxuries.

These two factors are making more work than expected and causing many to go over evaluated times. These times ARE abnormal. What was three months ago is different today. Neither the PO or the union could possibly act to remedy things so quickly.

Carriers and subs should be able to weather highs and lows, it's part of how our system works. The problem is, there isn't a fair and equitable process to re-evaluate a route when extraordinary circumstances occur. Our current system isn't horrible, but what would make it better for all is if the carrier could initiate a count when certain criteria are present -- such as "x" time over evaluation worked over 60 days, or "x" increase in parcel volume over same. Exclude the 4th quarter because of Christmas period.

It won't ever happen, but that would be a simple solution to make work more equitable for carriers experiencing different situations. One count for all at a certain time doesn't equal fairness to all.

Rural Runner

12 hour days on a 42?? Is that RCA sleeping at the case?
I hate to start confrontation online. But I just cant help myself. This was just not a good response on your part. It just shows that you are oblivious as to what is going on outside of your area. As many others have stated, not all offices are like yours. Some are being literally crushed. Not "high volume". CRUSHED. Your job is to defend rural carriers and our contract. That's it. I don't know where all this other stuff is coming from. I suggest you become a 204b. It would be a much better fit.

Last edited:

gerl2

I hate to start confrontation online. But I just cant help myself. This was just not a good response on your part. It just shows that you are oblivious as to what is going on outside of your area. As many others have stated, not all offices are like yours. Some are being literally crushed. Not "high volume". CRUSHED. Your job is to defend rural carriers and our contract. That's it. I don't know where all this other stuff is coming from. I suggest you become a 204b. It would be a much better fit.
It's amazing how they fail to remember the incentive to this job is to work hard and smart go home early has been null for years, they have trained us for years to do this so they can dump on us and we are doing 10 hours in 8 for them. If we were to go hourly everyone would be compensated correctly. Twingie statement explains why everyone is turning antiunion. I hear this kind of attitude in our area, when you start pissing people off who are exhausted and fed up there will be a change.

Surprise!

For what it's worth, I know different subs have different personal goals. Some want tons of hours, some just want a few. In our offices we have subs who will ask for other sub's hours so they work a full week. The "giver" doesn't really need to work as an example their spouse is a huge wage earner and he's subbing because he needs to stay active. He gives 100% when working. But he just wants a couple of days a week. Some subs crave to be a regular, some just want to sub. A smart manager, who creates the right environment, (yeah, I'm asking alot, I know) realizes this and tries to accommodate each sub in accordance with their personal goals. If subs work more what they want, then everyone is more satisfied.

Most PM's are too pinheaded to ever try to make employees happy.
When I was new, in my office, these problems were usually handled within the craft. Management wanted the responsibility of scheduling and made a point of taking over this. Before management decided to take control social pressure to make our part of the Postal Service work was very high.

csparks

It’s posts like yours that keep me from responding to other posters and their belief that a carrier must be asleep at the case because they are way over evaluation without a clue of the route being discussed.

My responses would likely get me banned from this site forever.

Thanks.
It would be nice, however, to see some of the experts that believe everyone's route is a Karen within easy reach of eval-- come out and have a go at some of the new monsters.
High mileage, unmarked rutted roads, far from the city, a Uhaul load of uncounted Amazon for a POV, mud, heat, snow, rub-board stretches that knock you into a ditch.

That would be alright. But its only probably 30-something% of us now.

Last edited:

Deer smearer

It would be nice, however, to see some of the experts that believe everyone's route is a Karen within easy reach of eval-- come our and have a go at some of the new monsters.
High mileage, unmarked rutted roads, far from the city, a Uhaul load of uncounted Amazon for a POV, mud, heat, snow, rub-board stretches that knock you into a ditch.

I guess that would put those of us with routes like you described in the basket of deplorables.

Twingrlie

I have zero management aspirations and no problem defending the carriers in my office. With that being said, 12 hours on 42........cmon.

Twingrlie

Don't get what? He should be happy to work 32 hours for 24 hours pay? He should be happy about this?

There is no way to "help" him get to 40 hours. The PO, as you should well know, watches to make sure he stays under.
Who said help him? I said “help” as in run expresses, take splits, help regulars with parcels etc. If that office has an RCA that’s working under 40 and not helping regulars with this volume, those regulars need to file.

D

Deleted member

It would be nice, however, to see some of the experts that believe everyone's route is a Karen within easy reach of eval-- come out and have a go at some of the new monsters.

Doesn't even need to be high mileage, unmarked rutted roads. True story, on one of the most overburdened routes I've run, I finally asked, why hasn't it been cut. Answer was, District thinks it can be done. You ever see those fat bastards behind desks at District? I could smoke them by hours on this route and have time to call 911 as they were having a heart attack trying to keep up with me.

LOSERS make too many decisions at USPS.

D

Deleted member

Carriers and subs should be able to weather highs and lows, it's part of how our system works. The problem is, there isn't a fair and equitable process to re-evaluate a route when extraordinary circumstances occur.

No fair and equitable process needed to re-evaluate a route if it were hourly, period. EVAL is an antiquated piece of crap system ripe for management abuse. Face it folks. You can see it with your own eyes.