Staying in the union

DB.Cooper

The dues are cheaper....

You can still use their health plan, if you can afford it....

You can go to the meetings and conventions and tell war story lies with all the other retirees there.... :giggle:

You stay up-to-date while continuing to receive their highly informative newsrag....

I have a couple of retirees on my route that get the newsrag.... never asked them why they continue payin' the dues tho.... :unsure:

Last edited:

Charlie Brown

Put your name in as a delegate for the National convention and if selected get an expense paid vacation to wherever it's held. Once you get there do what all the other retirees do, read a book, do crossword puzzles, take a nap, occasionally vote on something. Remember if you show up for a few days you'll get paid for the miles there and back, what you do after the convention is all up to you. Oh, one more thing. When it's time to vote on annual conventions or every two year conventions, make sure you vote to hold them every year. After all you won't want to lose out on the gravy train.

eomr

The union sent me a letter congratulating me on my retirement along with a dues withholding form so I could continue being a member. No thanks. I supported it for thirty years while I worked. In retirement I'm concentrating on visiting local breweries and wineries when we travel. Delivering mail is something that I used to do.

DB.Cooper

I think the NALC has a lot of retired members.... but maybe the NALC actually does something for them, either while they're still working or while retired....

NRLCA doesn't foster a lot of loyalty by doing good stuff for us.... just sayin'.... :rolleyes:

That's what I thought exactly. I'm out. Never had union insurance and don't need it. Don't want to know what happens to the poor folks who are left behind because most of them just settle for what they are told. I have my own group of friends and social life that I don't need to have this organization there to fill this need. Yea maybe you could get a free va-ca out of it. But you still have to attend those meetings. Been to a few-- no thanks!

gotstamps

That's what I thought exactly. I'm out. Never had union insurance and don't need it. Don't want to know what happens to the poor folks who are left behind because most of them just settle for what they are told. I have my own group of friends and social life that I don't need to have this organization there to fill this need. Yea maybe you could get a free va-ca out of it. But you still have to attend those meetings. Been to a few-- no thanks!
Friends? Social Life? Outside of the Post Office? Where might I acquire such treasures??? 😂

gotstamps

I could be wrong, but while shopping for health insurance I found Blue Cross to be better for my needs than the health insurance offered as Rural Carriers insurance and no dues required to keep it.
This year the Union health insurance rates skyrocketed due to the majority of the insured being in the 50+ age range. Those folks have more health issues than the younger generation. Plus the excellent Cancer coverage their insurance has likely didn’t help.