Step 4 Grievance Settlement – (E15R-4E-C 17354013) Requiring Carriers to Case DPS Letters Last

Ruralinfo

Administrator
Staff member
The issue in this grievance concerns whether management can mandate rural carriers, who have the option to case DPS letter mail in lieu of taking it directly to the street, the order in which they must case DPS letters. Handbook...

Continue reading...

Gotrope

There has always been the choice by mgmt to have carriers case first class residual letter's prior to any other mail. But, I guess, they are self admitting the DPS is received in no better sortation sequence by their machines than regular old mixed, residual letters😂

Last edited:

gotstamps

This is about mgmt trying to tell Carriers that they have to case DPS last instead of first.
Mgmt everywhere is pushing to get parcel missorts done before anything else along with trying to hold Carriers to the “Leave time” on the 4240s. I’ve heard about mgmt trying to instruct Carriers that they can case DPS if there’s time after the rest of the mail.
In my office, we’re also told to stop what we’re doing & go through our parcels to look for mispitchs. If you don’t # or case your parcels, then this can be a big inconvenience. The only time I take “DPS to the Street” is for my neighborhood delivery on heavy-DPS days. The curbs still get cased since I’m on a busy County roads. It’s bad enough trying to do a scan at the box so sitting there putting mail together ain’t happening.

Deer smearer

Typical NRLCA.

"Management does not have the right to require rural carriers to case DPS letter mail in any other particular order."

The article says they can require Dps 1st if carrier chooses to case it. But not last.

"But not last"
Where is that specifically stated in the actual step 4?

gotstamps

Typical NRLCA.

"Management does not have the right to require rural carriers to case DPS letter mail in any other particular order."

The article says they can require Dps 1st if carrier chooses to case it. But not last.

"But not last"
Where is that specifically stated in the actual step 4?
Strangely enough, it’s not in those words. It’s implied since the grievance was about mgmt forcing DPS last.

gotstamps

Funny thing... I’ve had mgmt try to tell me I need to load my Parcels as I go through them. Ummm... nope. Then I’d have to unload & reload them again when I try to load my mail later. My pkgs are sorted in a tray in order for curbs & tossed into CBU stops tubs. I have an LLV so it’s easier to stay organized. Heavy oversized pkgs interrupt that system though 😒

Crispcracker

There has always been the choice by mgmt to have carriers case first class residual letter's prior to any other mail. But, I guess, they are self admitting the DPS is received in no better sortation sequence by their machines than regular old mixed, residual letters😂
I routinely get oos and Dps for other routes in my DPS trays. So screw sequence, I case everything, speed comes with practice. We also routinely have to go back out after finished for late pkgs.

Gotrope

Well, I sincerely hope you are requesting additional hours pay for return trip on late pkgs. That is not second trip pay at 2 minutes a mile, that is actual time and mileage. Second trip only applies when all mail is available and can not fit in first load.

Gotrope

I would still file over this. They pay in my district and area. Depends how hard core you want to get. Parts of this award have been challenged over the years. The 8127 payment is no longer at straight time national average. It is earned at each carriers hourly rate. The constant late trucks have been challenged as well. Many districts now have any available rca's run late parcels, if available. If not, the carriers have been known to work in a very safe, methodical, fashion after a long frustrating day.😉 Necessitating much loading time...and rehydrating between parcels. Safety first. Push the issue a few times. You might be surprised with a better outcome.
And parcels are never considered a primary receipt of mail. That is letters, flats, DPS. This is why that step 4 is able to challenged.

Last edited:

neciat

While I did not file , I did look into it with our ADR. He said there was nothing we could do. Was told there was no grievance. The part that says "including but not limited to express, priority, and missorted mail" as well as "for mail received after the carrier originally left for street duties " is what gets them out of it. Just ONE of the reasons it's not good is because it opens the door for the plants to NOT get everything done on time. Example............run half of GOTROPE'S DPS and get it there on time and THEN send the other half at noon. Now, you are just getting two minutes a mile for that whole second trip. And this is being done nationwide. Not necessarily with DPS but with Priority and DAILY at that !! So, once their foot is in the door there is no telling which category of mail is next to show up late on a daily basis. As I said before, this agreement is INTENDED for the handful of times a year that "things happen." Truck got stuck in traffic due to an accident, plane got snowed in, Mother's Day weekend, etc. It is NOT intended for everyday use. Now, these situations fall into that daily or weekly recurring work function that should be part of the route evaluation.

Gotrope

I would File and tell your ADR you expect them to resolve these issues. If they do not you will be filing labor charges against the union. And let them know they can pass that up the chain of command 😗
Seriously, I'm done playing nice. I file on everything that costs me time these days. Screw the play nice and maybe the sweet USPS will fix the issue. If the union won't grow a backbone by themselves, I'll Force them to with NLRB charges. Won't be the first time. Good luck

And oddly, there was a lookout at my office this morning. And all the mice scampered into the break room when I pulled in to work. I guess they don't understand how a lighted interior room works when viewed from outside the building.😂

Wilco183

Gotrope: "I would File and tell your ADR you expect them to resolve these issues. If they do not you will be filing labor charges against the union. And let them know they can pass that up the chain of command."

Absolutely. Give the Association the rope to run with, afterall, they have a mandated charter to act on all Carriers' behalf...in good faith. A monopoly comes with that responsibility.

"The Association, as the exclusive bargaining agent, is the only organization authorized to represent Rural Carriers in matters of labor-management disputes."

If they break the deal, spin the wheel.

neciat

I would file but it would go nowhere in my area. My ADR and I argued this ( professionally and respectfully ) at length. Of course, one of my many inquiries was why this was not already filed at the National Level as a class action. Hopefully, somebody somewhere will have success. Make no mistake gang ; I am a warrior and I'll file if one of our clocks has a smudge on the glass covering it. I started in '93 and can vividly recall ALL of us being able to fit our 48K in one of those old DJ Jeeps. And I am talking low mileage in town routes. Real low, like nothing over 20 miles. Even after the implementation of DPS, you could still fit a mid to upper level K route in that same jeep and still be back by noon. So, I have seen the flat out erosion and almost elimination of our so called "incentive system."

Gotrope

My first rt was a 48 k walking rt. I had maybe ten strapped bundles of mail, and 10 packages that wouldn't fit in a box. Another small tub of spr's. I could fit that and another rt with a training rca in a DJ-5. I think I had a whopping 315 deliveries 😂 no DPS for another ten years, just random, I never exceeded evaluation. I used to think I was paid silly money to do this easy job.
I now make almost double what I did then. But I now have 800+ delivery points and walking to every other door for parcels. I think the daily fatigue , along with lousy mgmt environment has taken more of a toll than any other factors in not liking the job as I once did.

Jess

Well, I sincerely hope you are requesting additional hours pay for return trip on late pkgs. That is not second trip pay at 2 minutes a mile, that is actual time and mileage. Second trip only applies when all mail is available and can not fit in first load.
They message us on the scanner and tell us to come back and pick up expresses.. pay regulars 2nd trip. Most of the packages are actually due the next day too.

Attachments

Jess

I know.. however, I’m only a few mins from my route in the beginning. I’d rather come back to the PO then finish my route and have to go back out 40 plus miles.