• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Sunday Amazon for RCA on hold down

tlw_nc

I know the Sunday work list collapses during the holiday season, but what about for RCAs in hold down status? Our office currently has 9 subs, with usually 3-4 Amazon routes on Sunday. One RCA is on the 6 day aux route, and one (me) is holding down a full route. We were informed a few days ago that thru the holidays, all subs are "on call" for Sundays, NO excuses. My understanding is that those holding down a route are to be used only in emergency situations when there is no one else available. Can I be legitimately disciplined for not answering the phone on Sunday morning?

I would say <span style="color: #ff0000"><strong><a style="color: #ff0000" href="http://www.ruralinfo.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/sunlist.jpg">no</a>, </strong><span style="color: #000000">you should not be...but if you are, smile and file.</span></span>

You should not be called. The contract addresses subs on hold-down routes are treated like Regs during Christmas OT period. Aux subs are hourly during the OT period & can be used on Sundays.

Last year we had subs who worked over 20 days straight no days off. This year its looking like it might be worse. If you are not scheduled you have no requirement to answer your phone you are not paid to be on call.

Mailboxer -- Search for "sunday parcel" in the KNOWLEDGEBASE section at the top of the page.   You should get the MOU ( signed 24 MAY 2016 ) regarding Sunday/Holiday Parcel Delivery Work List.   ( No idea why it could not have been included in the final contract edition - above what used to be my pay grade ).

First, the good news:

In part from the MOU:  Rural carrier associates serving vacant regular routes or serving regular routes during the extended absence of the regular carriers, including the first 90 days before becoming a Designation 74-0 will not be schedule for Sunday/Holiday parcel delivery unless all leave replacements from both the volunteer and non-volunteer lists are scheduled. ....  In addition, management may bypass leave replacements for Sunday/Holiday parcel delivery if such assigned work hours would result in the leave replacement exceeding 40 hours at the end of the work week.

If your office has hired any ARC's ( LOL ):  ARC's will be entitled to Sunday and Holiday parcel delivery prior to RCA's.

Now the bad news:

It's the beginning of the holiday crunch season.  Sane rationale for doing things sometimes is disregarded by manglement.   Last season there were a few postings that manglement was not at all concerned with overtime for regulars or RCA's, so everybody worked and worked.   

Article 3.f of the contract ( Management Rights ) basically gives manglement carte blanche to get the job done.  Of course, what manglement may consider as an "emergency" may differ from the carrier's view.

============

Make sure you know ALL of the office's phone numbers.  Just don't answer the phone on Sunday as a last resort.

Might as well give your Assistant District Representative a heads up on "all subs are "on call" for Sundays, NO excuses." 

Sounds as if manglement plans on calling everyone so if you don't get called on a Sunday, first thing Monday morning is to ask for an 8127 to be paid for waiting for the phone call that never came.  After all, manglement said you are "on call".

If your body can take it and manglement is willing to throw money around, why not take it?   

They did call yesterday, I had plans for the day so no, I didn't pick up the phone. I was concerned about what I may be walking into this morning, but no one said a word about it. 

The "every sub on call" speech came from one of the sups, not the PM himself, although we were told it came from him. We have a new (to us) PM who's really by the book, so I'm almost thinking that he didn't mean for that order to include me. So far he's the only manglement I've encountered that was actually willing to adhere to that MOU without a fight. 

Does this apply to Aux routes also, if they are still within the 90 days and are classified as a 78-0 still, or does that work the same as on  vacant route waiting to go 74-0?

<blockquote class="spPostEmbedQuote"><strong>w2e2w2e said </strong>
Does this apply to Aux routes also, if they are still within the 90 days and are classified as a 78-0 still, or does that work the same as on  vacant route waiting to go 74-0?  </blockquote>
Aux route subs are subject to working Sundays like other RCAs and can be required to assist other routes in addition to their Aux during the rest of the week. 'Hold-downs' are the only subs that do not have to work Sundays nor assist before or after the 90 calendar day wait.

Does this apply to Aux routes also, if they are still within the 90 days and are classified as a 78-0 still, or does that work the same as on  vacant route waiting to go 74-0?  </blockquote>
You can find the various designation codes explained in Article 7 of the contract. RCAs with designation 74 are the only ones mentioned in the <a href="https://www.nrlca.org/Documents/WebContent/eb84406a-e260-4ec2-875e-9b1119953ca2-01252017-S-106.pdf">Sunday/Holiday worklist procedures MOU</a> that will not be scheduled, except in emergencies.

Does this apply to Aux routes also, if they are still within the 90 days and are classified as a 78-0 still, or does that work the same as on vacant route waiting to go 74-0? </blockquote>
Aux route subs are subject to working Sundays like other RCAs and can be required to assist other routes in addition to their Aux during the rest of the week. 'Hold-downs' are the only subs that do not have to work Sundays nor assist before or after the 90 calendar day wait.
Can you tell me the publication for this please

You could say to your manager that you, "Had to stay at church all day for bad behavior (evil thoughts against my pm), therefore had my phone off". First chance to call was 5 pm.

Des. 74 & pre-74 are last resort for Sunday Amazon. See the S-106 Sunday/Holiday Parcel Delivery Work List.
My problem is I’m on “hold down” working 6 days on a 9hr route, so I’m over weekly and then they have me go help slower RCA’s with their route almost daily. When I say I’m last resort they say it’s not the case. Union rep says they can use me anytime they need to, and can make me work 6 days.
I mentioned I wanted to file a grievance and she tells me I need to have proof ( reference) that says they can’t. (I’m needing to show where it says I’m last resort in contract)

My problem is I’m on “hold down” working 6 days on a 9hr route, so I’m over weekly and then they have me go help slower RCA’s with their route almost daily. When I say I’m last resort they say it’s not the case. Union rep says they can use me anytime they need to, and can make me work 6 days.
I mentioned I wanted to file a grievance and she tells me I need to have proof ( reference) that says they can’t. (I’m needing to show where it says I’m last resort in contract)
If there is an available RCA, you have the right to a Relief Day, Article 30.2.H.
As to assisting during the week, nothing in writing says a Des 74 cannot assist but additional duties cannot put your scheduled day at or over 12 hours; 12-the eval is the total hours You can assist. Sundays/Holidays is the only document that actually states that 74s are used after all other subs.
Article 30.2.Q speaks to additional duties for all subs. Article 30.2.G.5 speaks to a sub needing to complete their Primary assignment prior to assisting. Possibly use these together to limit the assistance.
Slow down & Work your Primary fully as long as it takes... don’t rush. The Leave being earned is dependent on your actual hours worked, not the evaluation. This also limits your assisting time.

You’re the last resort on a Sunday. During the week, you still can be made to help.

We have RCAs scheduled to go to the HUB for Sunday UPS parcels (no amazon for our town). If one of us is willing to work for another's scheduled day, can PM deny ?

Back