• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

the screwing that is the overtime period...

MiddleOfNowhere

i probably was screwed out of an hour today, compared to the rest of the year. about 15 minutes waiting time, (while a couple of clerks sorted the last two pallets of late amazon parcels), two minutes a mile on 12.5 miles for a second trip, 10 minutes unload/reload time, and another 5 minutes for a guard station i have to go through for parcel pickups. i know it's nice that i can still ran at or under eval., but it's time that's paid the rest of the year, as it's not part of eval. i'm sure someone will suggest to slow down, but it's not the way i'm wired. i work the same pace, all day, all year.

just sucks to watch others in the office, walking around, eating cookies, and drinking coffee, or reading a newspaper, just to get into ot.

that surely would suck, when you're pushing on through your mountain of packages at the same work pace you always have and wondering how they have the time to dawdle. same here.

Where are these mythical offices where you can leisurely stroll around, sip your coffee and chew the fat with your fellow carriers all the while earning ot? Not any universe I recognize. Must be nice!

Skierstmoritz -- "Where are these mythical offices where you can leisurely stroll around, sip your coffee and chew the fat with your fellow carriers all the while earning ot? Not any universe I recognize. Must be nice!"

-- Pretty sure HardearnedTan was referring to clerks and probably city carriers.

Skierstmoritz -- "Where are these mythical offices where you can leisurely stroll around, sip your coffee and chew the fat with your fellow carriers all the while earning ot? Not any universe I recognize. Must be nice!"

-- Pretty sure HardearnedTan was referring to clerks and probably city carriers.
actually, a couple of rurals do this in the office i'm in. i overheard one of the city carriers come up a rural carrier next to me, and her greeting was" hey pumpkin", and my thought was "what, we're now nicknaming each other by shape?"

They need to fix this overtime rule. My office, regulars leaves boat loads of parcels because they "cant" make the evaluated time back. A girl yesterday ive seen have the same amount of parcels during a period in the summer and somehow she wasnt going to be back until 5:00 and thats with me casing all of her mail and she left the office at 10:00
Its unbelievable what some of the things these carriers pull.

i probably was screwed out of an hour today, compared to the rest of the year. about 15 minutes waiting time, (while a couple of clerks sorted the last two pallets of late amazon parcels), two minutes a mile on 12.5 miles for a second trip, 10 minutes unload/reload time, and another 5 minutes for a guard station i have to go through for parcel pickups. i know it's nice that i can still ran at or under eval., but it's time that's paid the rest of the year, as it's not part of eval. i'm sure someone will suggest to slow down, but it's not the way i'm wired. i work the same pace, all day, all year.

just sucks to watch others in the office, walking around, eating cookies, and drinking coffee, or reading a newspaper, just to get into ot.
“Waiting time” goes to O-time so not paid. My office has quite a few carriers that beat their eval regardless of the time of year. It’s advantageous to bust your butt Jan-Nov while evaluated, but it’s just plain dumb to do the same in December when you could get OT or assistance for double or triple the packages. I cannot blame a carrier for working at the same pace or a bit slower when mail & packages are heavier. Don’t want to make a mistake by misdelivering because you were rushing.

“Waiting time” goes to O-time so not paid. My office has quite a few carriers that beat their eval regardless of the time of year. It’s advantageous to bust your butt Jan-Nov while evaluated, but it’s just plain dumb to do the same in December when you could get OT or assistance for double or triple the packages. I cannot blame a carrier for working at the same pace or a bit slower when mail & packages are heavier. Don’t want to make a mistake by misdelivering because you were rushing.
Wait time should be 8127 time, not O time.

Step 4 Grievance Settlement on Waiting for Mail that Requires Casing Before Strapping Out

"Step 4 Grievance Settlement on Waiting for Mail that Requires Casing Before Strapping Out
The issue in this grievance concerns waiting for any mail due to late arriving transportation which may or may not include DPS letter mail. The parties agree that when a rural carrier is required to wait for mail due to late arriving transportation that may or may not include DPS letter mail, appropriate compensation will be provided. Waiting time will not begin until all rural carrier duties are completed, to the extent possible, including casing of all available mail that requires casing. Management will determine the compensation of auxiliary assistance equivalent to the waiting time, or by utilizing 8127 for regulars or 1314-A for leave replacements..."

that is why the po would hate to see us hourly: fingering the mail at the box instead of driving down the road and every other time saving/cheat too numerous to list.. Merry Christmas

Nope, I'm thinking of it as a rural with absolutely no extra time to waste--yesterday was a 4-trip day on this POV route. Even with ample assistance right now to avoid any OT for me, I'm with "Skier"--where are rurals having time to relax in the PO? Not here. Barely made dispatch with the load I took, working steadily and not goofing off. RCAs took three trips that I know of, could have been four.

i think it's more along the lines that they slow down and relax all day, trying to get ot, or assistance, or both. if your mind or conscience allows you to work at a pace slower than normal, in an attempt to get help or more money, it's shows a lack of scrupules or morality. if it's that your slower because you have more mail and packages, and your doing the best you can, your conscience can be clear.

No such thing as "milk the clock" in our office. All hands on deck every day. Count average 57 scans. We are now approaching almost 400 scans/ day. Every route. Amazon now drops twice a day, early am and later in day. Most regs are getting 20+ hrs ot every week. Rcas are flat out. I'm tired! We are all tired. Pm has basically taken up residence in the office. She runs parcels as well. Smh, something has to give, just hope it's not me, lol

We have 5 clerks doing all the mail, plus 20 pallets of Amazon and 4 pallets of priority and 6+ pallets of sure post crap. Nothing to gawk at.

The people walking around are those who give away 3 postcons of parcels for the runners, so they just do their route with mail and spurs and a small bit of dismount packages. They still work 11 hour days somehow (plus the 4 hours of work they give to subs!) ....

I work 11 hour days but do parcel runs and take all of my stuff. ~260 scans.

The most hilarious thing.. The photo they took at breakfast they provided for all of the hard work being done.. While the regulars running their own packages were out in the cold at 8am, and the ones in the photo being those who give all of their work away to subs..

They need to fix this overtime rule. My office, regulars leaves boat loads of parcels because they "cant" make the evaluated time back. A girl yesterday ive seen have the same amount of parcels during a period in the summer and somehow she wasnt going to be back until 5:00 and thats with me casing all of her mail and she left the office at 10:00
Its unbelievable what some of the things these carriers pull.
It's a once a year opportunity to get some help.... when they say leave some oversized parcels to let an RCA take... yeah buddy... I don't have to be told twice.... RCA gets a little extra $$$ scratch in their check, and I get done a litlle earler.... how is that not a win-win, winner.... :unsure: (y)

Last edited:
We dont "give" the rcas packages it is all set up and decided before we walk in the door. I know some are gratefully for the help but I am not going to say thank you for taking my overtime when no one is going to be there when they release every thing after the ot period is over and no one is going to give a rats ass that I am over evual then or out after dark then!

Back