Thinking about back up vehicle....

vajoker

Has anyone purchased a RHD from Duncanimports.com? They have 724 Japanese domestic imports titled in Virginia. Some logical choices, some not.

johnwayne

i dont know what is right anymore. Usdriveright seems to be a good place. but expensive. On the other hand, they are all jeep(i think) and the jeep brand has widespread parts availabillity for most parts. I looked at duncan imports. they are actually on the high end of import pricing. However, they seem to do a better job inspecting and maybe fixing their vehicles than some of the other importers out there. But then you have the problem of parts availability. Most imports are the same as the american counterparts, except for the engine and transmission. If you have problems with either of those, parts might be weeks or more away.

So i have an old buick and and old honda crv. its worked for me so far. I really want a rhd. but the prices are ridiculous. And there are the problems mentioned above with the cheaper options.

PastOThirty

i dont know what is right anymore. Usdriveright seems to be a good place. but expensive. On the other hand, they are all jeep(i think) and the jeep brand has widespread parts availabillity for most parts. I looked at duncan imports. they are actually on the high end of import pricing. However, they seem to do a better job inspecting and maybe fixing their vehicles than some of the other importers out there. But then you have the problem of parts availability. Most imports are the same as the american counterparts, except for the engine and transmission. If you have problems with either of those, parts might be weeks or more away.

So i have an old buick and and old honda crv. its worked for me so far. I really want a rhd. but the prices are ridiculous. And there are the problems mentioned above with the cheaper options.
Electrical and heating and cooling and steering..not the same in a lot of cases.

Morty

*cherokees
There's subtle changes made for the Japanese market, grill/headlights/paint. Some annoyances like kilometer speedometer and Japan radio.

When ypu insure it, there won't be a registered VIN. And even tho you paid $10,000 for it. Insurance will value it at $500 like all other 30 year old rusted out cherokees.

Check the east coast importers for Range Rover Defender. Probably will all be manual, but it's not hard delivering with a stick. I did it for 3 years.

shoe72

just googled jeep rhd
carfax has over 15 for sale right now from $7300 to $40000
and thats only the first website i've looked at.
Galena Chrysler has a ton of used also.
RHD Jeeps on facebook has some for sale also.
Sure some have over 250000 miles, some don't. Depends how much you want one I guess.
got my 2017 in 2018, paid $37000 from west virginia dealership and now I can probably sell it with 27000 miles on it for more than I paid for it.
I looked long and hard for mine every day for about 2 months. Not easy to find a good price on newer ones.
Stay away from cherokees, in my experience I've had tons of trouble getting parts and they were sky high in price when I did find them.

csparks

I've wondered about this, and keep thinking a AWD Subaru with a RHD kit put on it could be a great deal. The main hitch is whether or not its big enough in the Amazon world.
The only other factor is how well the RHD kits perform. Never experienced that. The Regular on my rural route has always drove a stock Subaru, from the left side. Don't know how he does it, but he does.

RDruckus

I've wondered about this, and keep thinking a AWD Subaru with a RHD kit put on it could be a great deal. The main hitch is whether or not its big enough in the Amazon world.
The only other factor is how well the RHD kits perform. Never experienced that. The Regular on my rural route has always drove a stock Subaru, from the left side. Don't know how he does it, but he does.
Did your regular remove any of the seats?

csparks

Did your regular remove any of the seats?
Nope, it all looks stock. I think he may have a small pillow or something to toss over the parking brake/console in emergencies.

To be clear, this is the guy that delivers the mail to my house, out of a different office than where I work. If I saw him more often I'd be badgering away to figure out how he does this.
I have mentioned it to him, and he just kinda shrugs it off without griping. There has to be a secret.

Morty

@csparks i used a forester, 2015, for 2 years. Stock with dualbrake pedals.

More cargo space than a wrangler. High clearance. Great MPG. Every vehicle has its issues. The dealer offered a 100k bumper to bumper warranty no questions asked. And they gladly honored it.

callofthewild

Find a route vehicle that fits you. I have two Ford Escape, tough little guys, both have RHD kits. Have never had any problems with the RHD kits. As far as room, have stripped everything out except the seat I sit in. This has a advantage, you can't be given a last minute ride along. I do have a seat for a rider but need to be told in advance to install it. As far as room, this depends on your route and the volume the route gets, all of last year (not during Christmas no overtime period) I only had about 6 second trips, so room isn't a issue. I have been known to bungie parcels on the top of the car or use a bumper trailer on days parcels are heavy in order to not have a issue with 2nd trips.

To me, the most important thing is a Carriers' comfort level as you are going to be spending a big portion of your day in the vehicle. I am short so in order to bale out 40 times a day I need a smaller vehicle.

Gotrope

It's been a long day. I read the thread as thinking about backing up vehicle. I was imagining a carrier just driving backwards down the route, lol. But, in answer to your question, depends on route volume. I hear Honda cr-v is great on routes.

Skierstmoritz

Find a route vehicle that fits you. I have two Ford Escape, tough little guys, both have RHD kits. Have never had any problems with the RHD kits. As far as room, have stripped everything out except the seat I sit in. This has a advantage, you can't be given a last minute ride along. I do have a seat for a rider but need to be told in advance to install it. As far as room, this depends on your route and the volume the route gets, all of last year (not during Christmas no overtime period) I only had about 6 second trips, so room isn't a issue. I have been known to bungie parcels on the top of the car or use a bumper trailer on days parcels are heavy in order to not have a issue with 2nd trips.

To me, the most important thing is a Carriers' comfort level as you are going to be spending a big portion of your day in the vehicle. I am short so in order to bale out 40 times a day I need a smaller vehicle.
only 40 times a day? We can only dream! I'm an Amazon hater. Minimum bale (bail), 75/day. Sigh

Morty

If you don't mind wrenching and welding. You can buy an RHD clip. Cut out your firewall and weld in the RHD one. Replace all the dash, pedals, steering.

Clips are around a grand. Steering pedal kits are 2 grand.

A carriers husband in a neighboring town does this for rurals. Newish cars look factory with airbags and correctly oriented wipers. Not for everyone, but not a hard thing to do.

MNPostman

So a 4 door Jeep wrangler is only new vehicle in US you can buy stock RHD? Wish they offered the 2 door wrangler in RHD, remove all seats but drivers and I think that would be plenty room for my route.

What is everyones favorite RHD kit?

Sprocket

I have a 2003 escape.

I deliver from the driver laft side with a mailhawk.

plenty of room even with no seats taken out.

like to get another one.

would install rhd but doesn't pay until / if i become a regular.

MNPostman

just googled jeep rhd
carfax has over 15 for sale right now from $7300 to $40000
and thats only the first website i've looked at.
Galena Chrysler has a ton of used also.
RHD Jeeps on facebook has some for sale also.
Sure some have over 250000 miles, some don't. Depends how much you want one I guess.
got my 2017 in 2018, paid $37000 from west virginia dealership and now I can probably sell it with 27000 miles on it for more than I paid for it.
I looked long and hard for mine every day for about 2 months. Not easy to find a good price on newer ones.
Stay away from cherokees, in my experience I've had tons of trouble getting parts and they were sky high in price when I did find them.
What does your Wrangler get for gas mileage on the route? I imagine it pretty bad, 13-14 MPG?