• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

this is getting ridiculous

johnwayne

started training an rca 3 weeks ago. ojt had to be done in office(thanks covid). So this is my new rca. 3 days ojt. 8 days training on route, sorting and half days. Still almost two hours late the first day. So, week 4. pm has the bright idea to make me come in 2 hours late after rca tries to sort route. making it nearly impossible for me to make it back by dispatch. Rca does not have a problem with sorting. he took about 1.5 hours to PULL DOWN. and there seems to be no way to motivate him to move faster. at least without a whip. Im mostly venting here. but anyone got any suggestions?

Unless you are (have volunteered to be the office ojt) the on the job trainer, you should get paid for any extra time this training is taking you. Your schedule can NOT be changed without a 2 week notice.
Most newbies need route training, so your newbie should be carrying parts of the route until he is proficient. You could separate the mail out of your mail for him, let him case his own DPS and pull down his section. That way he learns on a small portion of the route (changing daily to a different section) until he gets faster. You should never be putting in any extra hours or if you do, you should be paid for that time on form 8127.

johnwayne, have you watched said RCA doing his pull down? What's he doing--double and triple checking himself? Maybe remind him if he put it in the case, to trust his work enough to know it didn't move since then, it'll be ok...I've had some newbies check and recheck at so many different points of handling their mail that it was just ridiculous, but they were so intent on being accurate and careful it never dawned on them how much time it was using up.
Offer some suggestions on his pull-down habits/style? Using or not using rubber bands--maybe band a more easily handled "handful" instead of an overly big one, or not banding so many tiny bundles (Like if he bands every cell or every address!)...

I don't know. I came in two hours late. He was still on presort flats. 2.5 hours. I sorted all the raw mail and dps in 1.5. ran my rear off. Got done 15 minutes before truck. Thank God it was easy package day. But I have to do this again tomorrow. And my patience is wearing thin.

Maybe point out the times on the 4240. Many RCAS never see this therefore they dont know the times we are held to. Hopefully yours is right, mines off

I don't know. I came in two hours late. He was still on presort flats. 2.5 hours. I sorted all the raw mail and dps in 1.5. ran my rear off. Got done 15 minutes before truck. Thank God it was easy package day. But I have to do this again tomorrow. And my patience is wearing thin.
It is not an easy job to learn, i know it is frustrating watching them learn, BUT if you refuse to give this person, any person, time to learn , then you must start over? Good Lord it takes 5 months to get hired, so which would benefit your more? Pull up a stool, watch them work instead of coming in late, make notes as you observe about how they can improve, suggest these improvements after their day is over. Be positive as possible, this is a very diffucult job, if you encourage your brand new sub, they will learn, maybe not be like you AT ALL but can still get the job done>>>

It is not an easy job to learn, i know it is frustrating watching them learn, BUT if you refuse to give this person, any person, time to learn , then you must start over? Good Lord it takes 5 months to get hired, so which would benefit your more? Pull up a stool, watch them work instead of coming in late, make notes as you observe about how they can improve, suggest these improvements after their day is over. Be positive as possible, this is a very diffucult job, if you encourage your brand new sub, they will learn, maybe not be like you AT ALL but can still get the job done>>>
4 weeks. already. when i was an rca. 5 years ago..i got 3 days..

No amazon. Some election mail. Point is, I'm walking into who knows what two hours late, and expected to pick up whatever pieces and make it all work. There are better ways to train. Plus pm took the guy away to deliver packages on another route when I came in. So now I'm the one who is going to be late, and trainee really has no motivation to get much done because he doesn't have to deal with the consequences.

So the postmaster is treating the new hire as a way to keep your hours down and has no intention of ever having him run the route on his own? This is NOT training. Time to schedule a full week of vacation and warn the postmaster that it better be cleaned up when you get back. Or you will be filing a grievance for full days of relief. I bet the postmaster will deny the leave.

Trust me I have heard ALL about how it was back in the day - much respect - but these days have many albeit different challenges - I believe we can agree on the nature of the work ethic these days ? - so this is what we have to work with -
i know. im kind of venting here. he did better today. hopefully he is getting the hang of moving a little bit faster. and the poor kid put in 120 hours this paycheck. the $$ might motivate him a little..

Back