Time off

kelker11

As an RCA, I know I don't earn vacation time or sick leave, but I need a break. I filled out the paperwork requesting 4 days off. I checked the calendar ahead of time, and only one person (full time carrier) was scheduled off for one of the days I requested. PM denied my request saying my job was to be available whenever needed. In the 2 1/2 years I've been working, this is my third request. First time was for one day, and it was approved (over a year ago). Second time was three days and denied. So does anyone know the rules that apply to RCAs time off?? A co-worker told me it was supposed to be first come, first served. But management doesn't seem to agree. Can we get time off??

RDruckus

File a grievance.
Even if you don't earn leave, you should be granted your requested time off if coverage is available.
(Because leave is granted on a first come, first served basis, your leave request should have been approved, because you asked for the time before all available coverage was already assigned.)

ATCBigE

As an RCA, I know I don't earn vacation time or sick leave, but I need a break. I filled out the paperwork requesting 4 days off. I checked the calendar ahead of time, and only one person (full time carrier) was scheduled off for one of the days I requested. PM denied my request saying my job was to be available whenever needed. In the 2 1/2 years I've been working, this is my third request. First time was for one day, and it was approved (over a year ago). Second time was three days and denied. So does anyone know the rules that apply to RCAs time off?? A co-worker told me it was supposed to be first come, first served. But management doesn't seem to agree. Can we get time off??

I believe there is was step 4 on this. Someone else who has can mention it about "being available whenever."

Old Fart

File a grievance.
Even if you don't earn leave, you should be granted your requested time off if coverage is available.
(Because leave is granted on a first come, first served basis, your leave request should have been approved, because you asked for the time before all available coverage was already assigned.)
Absolutely. This is how it works in our offices. As long as there's coverage, the leave request is granted. It's listed as NS, non scheduled. The RCA is "on vacation" and can't be called, no matter what the "emergency." Just as a regular. They just don't get paid leave.

Nyfarmer

A year or three (perhaps five or ten I forget!) back in my RCA daze I placed a leave slip in that I'd be out of town for a week (why is generally irrelevant - but Yea ! A close family member passed !). PM was mystified as to why I'd granted him such notification as 'You are not scheduled to work !'. As it came to pass PM was called by the 'Manglement Gods' upwards and an OIC was put in his place. Naturally; the OIC assumed I was 'on call' to fill in and called. So - I replied you've a leave slip on your desk -- yet -- I'd be happy to run the route in about ten hours (to get back to town) or so. Such is why RCA's put in leave slips that should be accepted and validated !!!

Deer Smearer

Yes, RCAs should be able to take leave. And it should be first come, first serve.

However, LWOP is granted at Manglement’s discretion.

Additionally, A regular cannot put in leave for just their relief day. So if first come, first serve was automatically granted, an RCA could put in leave for every relief day that they were basically hired to work.

Grant all RCAs leave at a rate similar to those RCAs in leave earning status. Then approve leave like regulars.

The system is far from perfect.

csparks

Yeah, it sucks wanting a day or three off as a sub when you're short.

In The Good Days, I'd talk with Regular, we'd set our schedule, and he'd tell PM. (Maybe) Done deal. Never any intrusion from without.

Now, the RCAs have an ongoing group text about this stuff.

RCA's where I am at had no problem requesting time until the pandemic hit. Our postmaster told the supervisors at that point that if we requested any time it was to be denied. We have some RCA's that have been able to get a little time off this summer. Now that it is Nov/Dec everyone has been told it won't happen. Seems to be granted based on favortism only.