• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Unscaned parcel scans

This is straight from the RRECS guide. Unscan can be delivered to the mailbox, porch or parcel locker. Reading the RRECS guide is the only training some of us have gotten, and more training than many. It was asked in the RRECS Q&A about unscan parcels and the answer was to look at the RRECS scan instruction sheet. So, here it is.

View attachment 8966
BUT what is the definition of a parcel under RRECS?
You assume you know?
You know what they say about making assumptions?

Our supervisor just got back from training and said our union rep was there and anything that fits in a mailbox shouldn’t be an unscanned parcel?? What are the new standards for a parcel under rrecs without a scan? Size rigid etc.
Resolve this please.

DO YOU FEEL LIKE THE SUPERVISOR INSTRUCTED YOU NOT TO ENTER IN UNSCANNED PARCEL FOR ANYTHING THAT FITS IN A MAILBOX?

Since they haven't stated what a parcel is they must be what each carrier decides.
Or what management says they are.
If you are a relatively new carrier you might not know management has unilaterally changed the definition of a parcel before
For decades or more, anything over 5 inches in height and rigid was a parcel.
Then AOL and Blockbuster Video (remember them?) started sending out CD's and all of the sudden the definition of a parcel changed mid-contract.

This is straight from the RRECS guide. Unscan can be delivered to the mailbox, porch or parcel locker. Reading the RRECS guide is the only training some of us have gotten, and more training than many. It was asked in the RRECS Q&A about unscan parcels and the answer was to look at the RRECS scan instruction sheet. So, here it is.

View attachment 8966
Yepper. Right there in the guide.

Right between CLOCKIN before any other entries & WSH is full coverage.

From the OP "Our supervisor just got back from training and said our union rep was there and anything that fits in a mailbox shouldn’t be an unscanned parcel??"
Well, when you hit "unscanparcel" and then enter, the FIRST option is "in Mailbox". That alone should be enough to let the OP know to just stop listening to that PM. With respect to "shouldn't be" ; DPS letters "shouldn't be 86ppm "either.

On a side note, about February Mini Count and withdraw time.

PMs have been advised no credit for this function. If they don't want to credit you for this function. Office Clerks should be hauling their sorted Flats and letters to you in the next couple of days.

If not, you can claim less than 30 days for change prior to count. Do not sign off on whatever new RRECS PS form # is.

There should also be another round of plotting if changes have happened since initial plotting for verification by the carrier.

This seems like a petty debate.
Maybe I see this differently because of the dynamics of my route.
I had 3 unscannable parcels today that I delivered into 3 different mail boxes and I retrieved them out of my parcel buggy.

I arrived at work at 7 am. I have 680 some boxes
I had a total of 91 flats(bundled, tub, raw)
106 raw letters.
I was done casing at 7:16. I was pulled down by 7:21

Flats are going to be nonexistant. This is similar to my Christmas flats and raw.
When I no longer need a case to sort my flats and letters....wouldn't it make sense to let us handle parcels and get proper credit for those parcels.
Maybe my route is the exception but if I can't scan a parcel unscannable that I treat like a parcel then how do I get credit for the work?
These unscannable were also items that I would not have cased to begin with.
You cased 91 flats-106 raw letters and marked your packages in 16 minutes? May I ask how many parcels you had?

PMs have been advised no credit for this function. If they don't want to credit you for this function. Office Clerks should be hauling their sorted Flats and letters to you in the next couple of days.

If not, you can claim less than 30 days for change prior to count. Do not sign off on whatever new RRECS PS form # is.

There should also be another round of plotting if changes have happened since initial plotting for verification by the carrier.
Similar… PM does not want to give round trip to collect flats. Mine are on floor separated bundled and raw. It takes at least two trips, maybe more maybe less Advices PSE if not given round trip, she’ll be bringing flats to case or I’ll only make one trip and leave the rest. It is what it is

I am sure they will try this again this time around. Regs won’t say anything, but I will 😈

BUT what is the definition of a parcel under RRECS?
You assume you know?
You know what they say about making assumptions?
Well, we can “assume” it’s what a parcel has been any other time since no one has given written guidance on what one is in contrast to what they have always been. Semi rigid, won’t fit in one inch slot with other mail, says do not bend, etc

I’ve started getting va meds in 4x4x8 boxes, no barcode. if they aren’t parcels in the mailbox, I’ll take them to the door where they’re more secure, and magically become parcels.

So when I get bundled flats (presort standard or first class mix) in my parcel bin, i can’t claim it as a parcel? I break it open and claim each flat as an un scan parcel. It wasn’t measured. I measure it for Rrecs… option c (it wasn’t measured for proper credit. Why should you deliver it for free?

Our supervisor just got back from training and said our union rep was there and anything that fits in a mailbox shouldn’t be an unscanned parcel?? What are the new standards for a parcel under rrecs without a scan? Size rigid etc.
of course your union rep was there (i assume you mean DR)

just because that person was there does not mean that that he/she agreed with this "directive".

pick up the phone and ask.

So when I get bundled flats (presort standard or first class mix) in my parcel bin, i can’t claim it as a parcel? I break it open and claim each flat as an un scan parcel. It wasn’t measured. I measure it for Rrecs… option c (it wasn’t measured for proper credit. Why should you deliver it for free?
I read where someone here said they're marking them all, then delivering them as UNSCANPARCELs at the boxes when delivered.... wth.... :unsure: 🤷‍♂️(y)

Without using previous mail count definitions, this seems like a circular definition.

QUESTION:
WHAT IS CONSIDERED A PARCEL?

ANSWER:
ANYTHING THAT HAS A SCAN ON IT.

QUESTION:
WHAT IS AN UNSCANNABLE PARCEL?

ANSWER:
A PARCEL WITHOUT A SCAN?

QUESTION:
WHAT IS CONSIDERED A PARCEL?

ANSWER:
ANYTHING THAT HAS A SCAN ON IT.

QUESTION:
WHAT IS AN UNSCANNABLE PARCEL?

ANSWER:
BEEP BEEP BOOP BOP

Until they put any of these Q& As in writing...just keep doing what cya

Back