• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

UNSCANPARCEL Definition

Can I get some help from people?
Can others email and ask for a definition of an UNSCANPARCEL from the Union?
here is the email for RRECS questions?

RRECS@nrlca.org

hope this is not inappropriate to ask as I have seen others saying to send letters and emails off.

Ok, so this is a deal to me as I get about 5 a day on average, sometimes I can have twenty..I have hospitals and medical businesses on my route that get CD galore in large stiff packaging...pictures in reincforced envelopes, Ulines and Grainger up the wazoo for all those businesses (every week!), and I have a UPS sstore that gets about a tub of mail and flats everyday by itself.

OK so that said, this will be long, this is what I was told WAS a ParcelL by the union:
-A parcel is considered a parcel if it has a bar code on it, or it is obviously a parcel without a bar code

and this is what I was told is NOT a Parcel:
it no longer matters if it is rigid or does not fit in the case.
Ulines, Graingers and Bass pro etc, catalogues are not parcels.
hold mail bundles are not parcels.
large bundles of mail ( like i stated i get a tub a day for my UPS store) are not parcels
pictures in reinforced envelopes
thick bubble mailers are not parcels
cd in large rigid envelopes are not parcels

Now talking to a new 204B that I am friends with (don't shoot me!!) that just went to count training with PM. She said she was also trying to get a straight answer at the training and our union rep was there. He stated over and over again that an UNSCANPARCEL is only a parcel that you cannot read the barcode or cannot enter a barcode in for manually. They even asked about boxes that have to go in parcel locker, nope, asked about boxes that had to go to door, nope.
So hopefully when we have our regional zoom mail count training we can get some better answers.
as I do deliver a lot of what I consider UNSCANPARCEL items and I want to get credit for them.

I have always argued for every item and every minute during mail counts ( I was an RCA on hold downs and jumped to new routes that needed counted so did one about every year for 5 years.) each route I was on went up after the count, and the mail volume factor also went up. Other carriers who just agreed with everything always went down. so, in reply to those that think that these times do not add up...THEY DO!

ok, so anyone got an answer yet :) :) :) :)
They will make a difference if you receive them regularly but if you get 10 in 1 day and no more for 10 days then your average drops. They didn't take questions during the zoom meeting, maybe yours will.

You myself and many other carriers may do this FOR A WHILE but it will get old and noone wants to do this every single day from here on out...as this is a count that NEVER ends EVER...it is ongoing every single day!! The numbers dont match today-will they next week...next month...next year...in 10 years? NO they want and never will...As I say it WILL get old and they know that and also know that NO carrier will keep track every single day. It is not like the 2 week mail counts.These NEVER end!!!!
i've been keeping track for 10 years.

it's all what you get used to doing.

Exactly how do we know. Answer: we don't!

Our new eval that supposed to happen in march includes Christmas. How long does this current eval count back? Years? Months? Or two weeks? With Christmas included you would think we shouldn't drop all that much if any at all. In the past we where told the heavy Christmas season makes up for the light summer season. That was the reasoning with only counting two weeks. So are we supposed to believe all of a sudden we will have higher eval because Christmas is counted? Then the next count in six months will be less because it will include summer months? If we got down a few hours with Christmas included in the count wait until your next count that mostly includes the light summer months.
evals are rolling.

it will always be the previous 52 weeks.

So, if you had a questionable parcel for a customer with a 2" slot, could you not check it? Or did you have to check it with some random 1" slot with a random amount of mail in it?
You just try it in a 1” slot. Not fit?, parcel. 2” slot doesn’t factor, like it doesn’t even exist.

Can I get some help from people?
Can others email and ask for a definition of an UNSCANPARCEL from the Union?
here is the email for RRECS questions?

RRECS@nrlca.org

hope this is not inappropriate to ask as I have seen others saying to send letters and emails off.
It does need to be asked because their own guide doesn’t answer it.

13. Parcels
The time standards applied to parcels and the method in which parcels are identified and categorized are two of the major improvements in RRECS versus the current ECS. First, the time standards are more complete and accurate for the actual work involved in handing and delivering parcels. Second, the methods used to determine what is credited as a parcel and which category it falls into are very simple. All arguments over size, rigidity, contents, damage etc. are eliminated.
First, we will discuss what qualifies as a “parcel” under RRECS. Simply put, any normal mail piece with a delivery bar code is credited as a parcel. There are some parcels remaining without a barcode, but the panel made allowances for those items, also. (See RRECS scans below.)
UNSCANPARCEL
Record each parcel that cannot be scanned, and label number cannot be entered manually
Enter at delivery and indicate delivered to door, mailbox, or parcel locker

It is contradictory One says some parcels will not have barcodes and are covered in the scan section, then the scan section reverses that.

That's been my feeling all along.... how much could these "optional" scans really change anything anyways???? My guess is, not much.... it's the new inverted DPS head fake distraction.... they make a big deal about it, but it's just a distraction as it isn't really gonna make any diff anyways.... it's like watching a dog chase it's tail.... here, punch a bunch of buttons just to sell a stamp.... then stand back and watch and laugh.... :unsure: 🤷‍♂️(n):poop:😁
How will we know let’s be real. We can not verify any of the data that goes into the eval. Don’t get me wrong I keep track and a running tally daily/weekly on all rrecs scans. They never match what the system has for daily amount.
I know I'm continually just guessing the worst of all this, but I feel like it MAY end with lots of carriers waving notebooks saying, "but look at MY numbers!"

Meanwhile, USPS will push some kind of appeal form at you, and adjust the route however they want.

We're all just guessing and venting anyway to pass the time. Like a con on death row. "Warden, did you hear from the Guv'ner?"

You just try it in a 1” slot. Not fit?, parcel. 2” slot doesn’t factor, like it doesn’t even exist.
Isn't it supposed to be attempted on a slot WITH mail already in it? I was allowed to try the ACTUAL address the parcel was going to.

If I was forced to try some random 1" slot, I would just pick one that was filled to the brim, bending the divider, full.

Isn't it supposed to be attempted on a slot WITH mail already in it? I was allowed to try the ACTUAL address the parcel was going to.

If I was forced to try some random 1" slot, I would just pick one that was filled to the brim, bending the divider, full.
All I’m saying is a 2”slot doesn’t matter. It’s not a factor. Standards don’t change with each individual address.

But if you “have to try” you take that persons mail, with the Uline or whatever, and try it in an empty 1” slot. Orrrrrr, keep a spare divider and stick it in the 2”slot. Orrrrrr, use the first slot in each row of the case that supposed to hold the pink forwards cards.

Of course all that is moot since RRECS apparently doesn’t recognize old mail count standards.

Last edited:
All I’m saying is a 2”slot doesn’t matter. It’s not a factor.

But if you “have to try” you take that persons mail, with the Uline or whatever, and try it in an empty 1” slot. Orrrrrr, keep a spare divider and stick it in the 2”slot. Orrrrrr, use the first slot in each row of the case that supposed to hold the pink forwards cards.

Of course all that is moot since RRECS apparently doesn’t recognize old mail count standards.
While contractual mail count language is gone, does that mean that the Step 4 settlements surrounding mail count standards are gone as well?

The specific settlement regarding what counts as a parcel never references a mail count. Obviously, this was the impetus around the grievance but it simply says "is considered a parcel."

I'm not sure these Step 4s are no longer applicable.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230201-095412_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20230201-095412_Drive.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 7
While contractual mail count language is gone, does that mean that the Step 4 settlements surrounding mail count standards are gone as well?

The specific settlement regarding what counts as a parcel never references a mail count. Obviously, this was the impetus around the grievance but it simply says "is considered a parcel."

I'm not sure these Step 4s are no longer applicable.
I agree with you on that, shouldn’t change one bit.
That last comment of mine was an offhand one about my earlier post with the UNSCANPARCEL scan definition from the union RRECS guide.

They will make a difference if you receive them regularly but if you get 10 in 1 day and no more for 10 days then your average drops. They didn't take questions during the zoom meeting, maybe yours will.
Really, no questions for a training session on a totally new routine affecting our pay???
Sounds right I guess

No, just read the instructions to us.
Whereupon thou mayest encounter mailed objects which are too largeth to fitteth within the slot-thing in the case;
Thou shouldth setteth aside said object with others of similar size, and placeth a plastic placard into the corresponding case slot-thing;
Whilst thou doth driveth the route, and locate a plastic placard, searcheth for said corresponding mailed object;
Then, ESC/R/C the sacred object and placeth within given box.

Actually at least 1 per stop usually and 3 to 5 at UPS store and several more at medical plaza and hospital. So yeah at about 10 + a day.

It does need to be asked because their own guide doesn’t answer it.

13. Parcels
The time standards applied to parcels and the method in which parcels are identified and categorized are two of the major improvements in RRECS versus the current ECS. First, the time standards are more complete and accurate for the actual work involved in handing and delivering parcels. Second, the methods used to determine what is credited as a parcel and which category it falls into are very simple. All arguments over size, rigidity, contents, damage etc. are eliminated.
First, we will discuss what qualifies as a “parcel” under RRECS. Simply put, any normal mail piece with a delivery bar code is credited as a parcel. There are some parcels remaining without a barcode, but the panel made allowances for those items, also. (See RRECS scans below.)
UNSCANPARCEL

Record each parcel that cannot be scanned, and label number cannot be entered manually
Enter at delivery and indicate delivered to door, mailbox, or parcel locker

It is contradictory One says some parcels will not have barcodes and are covered in the scan section, then the scan section reverses that.
so in the old days there was no argument over what was and was not a parcel, we had a ruler with certain sizes and a flow chart to go with it...now we have...confusion and lack of clarity.

so in the old days there was no argument over what was and was not a parcel, we had a ruler with certain sizes and a flow chart to go with it...now we have...confusion and lack of clarity.
According to this if it doesn't have a barcode its not a parcel and that it is already adjusted for any others. Our office is still allowing anything that won't fit in the case without a barcode ro be an unscanned parcels. I'm not going to push the issue then.

if it is obviously a parcel, then it is a parcel with or without barcode.

if it's a do not bend, aka marked pictures/shutterfly/etc, it's a parcel.

VFW/etc do not bends are not. same as it ever was.

some states are firm that Ulines, etc are not.

if in doubt, check with your DR. that is who will be seeing your dispute.

this information comes from a trusted source. :) (1st sentence and 5th are my information)

Back