• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Ups+Amazon rumor

Stillfirstclass -- "taking candy from a baby is the baby's fault??? "

-- Sure -- The baby should have eaten the candy faster.

Box sizes have basically doubled since January
Here, too. And just heard today there will be no mail count in Sept, and no mail count in Feb. So, those of us that were stuck with Amazon after the last count are going to continue to be exploited, at an ever-increasing rate.

We've got routes that are 9 hours or close that would be probably be 11 hours if counted.

Last edited:
If you are in a state where the union leadership is good?....What about a class action grievance on the extra amazons since last mailcount... This is a major change and we are supposed to be paid a fair day's wage for a fair day's work?.....Never understood why national never brought this up?...Oh, what the hell am I talking about, I know why national would NEVER bring this up...They are lazy illegitament children. (there now, I did not curse).

If you are in a state where the union leadership is good?....What about a class action grievance on the extra amazons since last mailcount...

That would be a big NO in Ohio. I asked about this a year and a half ago. I said every route that started getting an Amazon dump ion the morning had it's evaluation invalidated. All I received in response was, "They wouldn't cut your evaluation if the parcel count went down." Yeah? I'm guessing they figure out how to do that if Amazon goes away.

The packages are getting WAY TOO BIG, and WAY TOO HEAVY!! This is getting really old.
I kiddingly asked our previous PM to please get me a RH drive big brown delivery van to handle all the monstrous parcels. He just laughed and kept on walking. No compassion whatsoever for a serious problem.

So today I got another Amazon parcel in my mail... it only had a USPS scan on it, and it was a PS LIGHTWEIGHT parcel... also on the label it said UPS Mail Innovations... :unsure:

Here, too. And just heard today there will be no mail count in Sept, and no mail count in Feb. So, those of us that were stuck with Amazon after the last count are going to continue to be exploited, at an ever-increasing rate.

We've got routes that are 9 hours or close that would be probably be 11 hours if counted.
In the same boat here. I thought I had a good count last time. Then 1 week after count they were told we were going to start getting amazon drops. It's been almost 18 months now not getting paid for amazon and it looks like it will be at least 12 months more. In all reality I should just accept the fact I will NEVER get paid to carry amazon. On top of that we also started getting FedEx drops since the count as well.

I don't blame the post office to much, you make a dollar when you can. The union is just absolutely worthless and solely exists to get new members.

Lucky for me I only have about 27 years left.

In the same boat here. I thought I had a good count last time. Then 1 week after count they were told we were going to start getting amazon drops. It's been almost 18 months now not getting paid for amazon and it looks like it will be at least 12 months more. In all reality I should just accept the fact I will NEVER get paid to carry amazon. On top of that we also started getting FedEx drops since the count as well.

I don't blame the post office to much
, you make a dollar when you can. The union is just absolutely worthless and solely exists to get new members.

Lucky for me I only have about 27 years left.

Same thing here. An underhanded stab in the back....(that really is tricky).

Granted, the union should have reacted to this, anticipated it, or raised a stink. Still, I do blame the PO for their actions. Clearly, they were aware that routes were going to increase substantially, and consciously elected to withhold that info, wait until after the count to drop Amazon. If you tried to pull that tactic in a deal in the private sector, you'd get slapped down.

Today my parcel pick up location mentioned 2 items. I arrived and the 2 items were sitting on the front counter. 1 item only had our barcode on it. The other has UPS SurePost scan along with ours.

Since the clerks at this store were busy serving walk in customers, me not wanting to interrupt them in the middle of customer service. I scanned our barcodes on both items as prepaid and went on my merry way.

Got back to the office and they called about 1 item being for UPS and was questioned. I showed my sheet of 2 items. They called back the store and told them of the issue and if they want the item back there will be a "Parcel Intercept Fee" . That 1 item for UPS start point scan is in our stream now.

Everyone pays for shipping. Just because there isn't a separate line item listed on the receipt doesn't make it "free." And yeah - I know companies claim they provide "free" shipping. I believe most people like to hear it but also know it's actually false.
Ive been thinking about that... if I make a $35 Wal-mart order online.... and those items... say maybe a 50 lbs bag of dog food and some Anti-freeze for my mail car, would cost me the SAME amount as if I had driven to my local store and toted (lugged) myself... how is it not "free" shipping for me??? It almost seems better than free, as I didn't have to drive to the store and burn my gas, and I saved my back.... and it doesn't cost me an extra dime.... seems "free" to me.... :unsure:

Last edited:
Ive been thinking about that... if I make a $35 Wal-mart order online.... and those items... say maybe a 50 lbs bag of dog food and some Anti-freeze for my mail car, would cost me the SAME amount as if I had driven to my local store and toted (lugged) myself... how is it not "free" shipping for me??? It almost seems better than free, as I didn't have to drive to the store and burn my gas, and I saved my back.... and it doesn't cost me an extra dime.... seems "free" to me.... :unsure:

Well, to start, Walmart.com and 'brick-and-mortar Walmart' are probably two economically independent divisions of the same company. So I'm guessing that what one does has little to no effect on the other. That being said, they each have different components to their overhead which every purchase is supposed to support. If the full cost of shipping and handling is not a line item on the bill, the remainder (or all of it in the case of 'free' shipping) must be built into overhead because someone has to pay it. Overhead is built into the price of every product.

The fact that you can get things cheaper by ordering online rather than going to the store yourself really doesn't have anything to do with it. I used to do this with puppy pads.

I have three dachshunds (because it's not possible to have just one lol). We live on the second floor and it gets too cold to let them out in the winter as they're too small. They're rescues and were already trained to puppy pads at any rate. Sam's Club was the cheapest place we could get pads. So every payday we would run to Sam's and get a box. Now, I piggyback on my son's 'plus' membership and it doesn't cost me anything and with that I get free shipping. So rather than running to the store every payday I just have them delivered. Do I pay for shipping? Maybe, maybe not. Whatever shipping and handling isn't covered by the 'plus' membership fee has to be built into overhead or come out of profits. Some small amount for shipping may be built into the price and everyone would pay for that whether or not they have the product shipped.

In the end, however, shipping is not free. Someone is paying for it. It's an expense of business which must either be recouped through sales or taken out of profit. I rather doubt there's very many businesses which would plan to pay it out of profits.

Well, to start, Walmart.com and 'brick-and-mortar Walmart' are probably two economically independent divisions of the same company. So I'm guessing that what one does has little to no effect on the other. That being said, they each have different components to their overhead which every purchase is supposed to support. If the full cost of shipping and handling is not a line item on the bill, the remainder (or all of it in the case of 'free' shipping) must be built into overhead because someone has to pay it. Overhead is built into the price of every product.

The fact that you can get things cheaper by ordering online rather than going to the store yourself really doesn't have anything to do with it. I used to do this with puppy pads.

I have three dachshunds (because it's not possible to have just one lol). We live on the second floor and it gets too cold to let them out in the winter as they're too small. They're rescues and were already trained to puppy pads at any rate. Sam's Club was the cheapest place we could get pads. So every payday we would run to Sam's and get a box. Now, I piggyback on my son's 'plus' membership and it doesn't cost me anything and with that I get free shipping. So rather than running to the store every payday I just have them delivered. Do I pay for shipping? Maybe, maybe not. Whatever shipping and handling isn't covered by the 'plus' membership fee has to be built into overhead or come out of profits. Some small amount for shipping may be built into the price and everyone would pay for that whether or not they have the product shipped.

In the end, however, shipping is not free. Someone is paying for it. It's an expense of business which must either be recouped through sales or taken out of profit. I rather doubt there's very many businesses which would plan to pay it out of profits.
I see it as a long term business strategy... they want people to do stuff online... and in many ways that's cheaper for them, and they know they must do this to compete long term with outfits like Amazon.... but for the individual, as you pointed out, shopping online is often cheaper than actually going to a store.... and the items are brought right to your home by someone else.... no need for you to take the time and effort of going to the store.... and all at a lesser or same cost as going to the store.... no wonder we're being buried by online shoppers....

The concept of having it built in to the price is sort of like buying gas at a gas station.... some stations have a "cash" price and a higher "credit" price.... so at those stations, they are not charging cash customers the price the credit card companies charge for the transactions.... of course most stations just charge everybody the same price so everybody is paying for the credit card costs, whether they use cash or credit.... so really if you're not using it, you're paying for somebody else to use it.... same goes with "free" shipping... somebody is paying for it... and if you're not using it, you're likely paying for somebody else who is....

On the Wal-mart deal... not sure how separate they are, altho there may be some separation... but they usually give you the option to pick up the items at your local store within a few hours of ordering... they even have automated pickup kiosks for this purpose... and many (most) brick and mortar businesses usually offer local pickup or free shipping with most orders, so there's definitely not too much separation between the online and actual stores....

But this is the trend... and we're seeing it daily in our parcels buggies.... ?

Btw, I have a fellow on my mail route that has 2 or 3 dachshunds... and he also has a German Shepherd.... they all seem to get along famously, but they just look like an odd band of friends... the guy has a bumper sticker that asks "do you wanna pet my wiener?"

Last edited:
"Free" here is red herring, IMO. It may not cost any more as it relates to you and your bank account. It is slowly, subtly changing the world around us, though. Most obviously, some businesses we patronize, and people working there are being impacted as they cannot do business in the same way. Their lives, and spending will be altered, and affect those they transact with. Businesses will close, others will change their stocking and prices to cope. Items will disappear, or have fewer options.

I see it a a long-wave ripple that I don't know what will ultimately happen. What I worry is that I won't be able to drive to my nearest small town, and find a garbage disposal or window unit a/c in an emergency. Won't be able to buy paint, vet supplies, or a chainsaw chain in a timely fashion. It will be the rurals that feel this first, I think.

Last edited:
"Free" here is red herring, IMO. It may not cost any more as it relates to you and your bank account. It is slowly, subtly changing the world around us, though. Most obviously, some businesses we patronize, and people working there are being impacted as they cannot do business in the same way. Their lives, and spending will be altered, and affect those they transact with. Businesses will close, others will change their stocking and prices to cope. Items will disappear, or have fewer options.

I see it a a long-wave ripple that I don't know what will ultimately happen. What I worry is that I won't be able to drive to my nearest small town, and find a garbage disposal or window unit a/c in an emergency. Won't be able to buy paint, vet supplies, or a chainsaw chain in a timely fashion. It will be the rurals that feel this first, I think.
I think it's already happening... I have customers all the time telling me the parcels I'm delivering are items they couldn't find in a local store... and sometimes I'm shocked at how "common" some of these items should be... one lady told me she couldn't find "sure-jell" to do her canning, so she had to order it online.... :unsure:

DB.Cooper et al -- "Wal-Mart stock"

-- Some items are only available on line because they don't sell enough to justify keeping them in stock in the store.

Back