USPS is in panic mode - we now have a PLAN B - See NRLCA Web Site for details!

FXDL2003

Any chance you could put a plan together, present it to management, and get it done that way? Use your experience and ability to develop a way that also saves management time and overtime? Some RCA's will probably not like it if it's implemented, but the rest will be positive.
I already got them to agree with a plan for Christmas Eve. Granted it is the same plan that our last Postmaster and myself and one other regular (i am 2nd in Seniority - other carrier is 1st) came up with. Everybody works christmas eve. We pay the holiday pay for those that should be off. All 5 routes in our office and the 1 in the RMPO get split up over the 6 Regulars and 4 RCAs and we all go home by 1pm. massive morale booster!

Old Fart

I already got them to agree with a plan for Christmas Eve. Granted it is the same plan that our last Postmaster and myself and one other regular (i am 2nd in Seniority - other carrier is 1st) came up with. Everybody works christmas eve. We pay the holiday pay for those that should be off. All 5 routes in our office and the 1 in the RMPO get split up over the 6 Regulars and 4 RCAs and we all go home by 1pm. massive morale booster!
Awesome!!!! So move ahead with your experience and expertise for the plan for the couple weeks before also? That's sort of how I started, representing carrier's interests with management, working out a way that was fair and acceptable to us all. Give it a shot.

I’ve been seriously considering looking into UPS. My only holdback is I hate the idea of driving an hour to start work everyday and…..I hate change 😖.

I’m always looking at County and state jobs…but I never see anything that peaks my interest.
Ask the UPS guy on your route. They will help and they get a referral bonus as well. I was instantly thrown into onboarding (as a full time but the lower ranked driver that seems like an rca, but career.) I backed out but now is the time as they are desperate as well.

csparks

We don’t really do package help on the routes like that in my office. We take 1-2 hrs of mail and parcels from reg and run that. Usually first bit or last bit pending when An rca can get to it. Might be weird but it’s the same miles wise and time wise and the regs prefer that over parcel assistance.
I was really just being a lip-off I guess about package help for long routes. Our office, and probably most with long routes, does not get any package assistance, ever. No one to do it. Whoever runs the route just has to come back and get them at the end of the day.

It worst comes to worst, I suppose at 12 hours any remaining packages just come back for the next day.

Deer Smearer

I was really just being a lip-off I guess about package help for long routes. Our office, and probably most with long routes, does not get any package assistance, ever. No one to do it. Whoever runs the route just has to come back and get them at the end of the day.

It worst comes to worst, I suppose at 12 hours any remaining packages just come back for the next day.
That 12 hours includes lunch.

Voglio-il mio

YES. We have great offices, considering. Management is rational, supports us. They go to bat for us. We, regulars and RCA's work together. We all remember when we were subs. We want our subs to stay, we have a great hard working awesome group. We all work too much and too hard, but we try to share the load so everyone knows we're fair and honest. We rarely do much off the clock, but every so often a little bit of give goes a long way. I admit to helping to lead our teams so disagreements are solved equitably and fairly, before they fester into anger and sick calls. Each of us is proud to do their best work, go a step beyond. Our RCA's memorize all the forwards on all the routes they work. When there's extra work they stay in touch with each other as the day closes to be sure nobody is stuck with it all. Sounds too good? No. Result of tons of hard work, dedication, and honestly I've brought much of my corporate management and human resource skills to help wherever I can. And management in our offices works WITH us, not against us.
You and your office sounds a lot like mine. I transferred into mine a little less than 10 years ago and after a PM change, we have had a 110% change the culture in our office. Our new PM was also new to being a PM and very receptive to listening to us as well as instituting many of our ideas. I had a background like yours and feel that I had in impact in effecting that change. We all work together, cover each others back all the way from RCA, Clerk to PM. If there is something to get done, we make it happen! On the clock, off the clock, cross craft it doesn't matter! The PM has been willing on more than one occasion to take the right stance on issues that a typical PM wouldn't have balls to do, because he knows we have his back. PM knows that we give 100% daily, have zero internal HR issues and those that we have are worked out as Step Ones on the spot because we trust and respect each other! Its a great place to work (our office), now if we could only get the operations outside our bubble (USPS) to become the same way. I'm just hoping that things here will stay Status Quo until retirement (3 + yrs) as it will make what is uncontrollable that much easier to deal with until that time!

Last edited:

sinister minister

I cannot wait to bail from this circus. This had better be grieved by every carrier, nationwide. 2 minutes a f'n mile is beyond an insult. The gross amount of free time already donated to these idiots is astounding and they want more. It's no wonder they refuse to release the surveys. Poor little mgmt, mush for brains.
-"2 minutes a f'n mile is beyond an insult."

Other insults:
-POV EMA mileage calculation
-1/2 mile from mailbox delivery
-Guarantee period work hours used for Holiday overtime calculation (What does one have to do with the other?)
-Time worked between end of daily evaluation and 12 hours.
-POV breakdowns are off-the-clock, and often require a days leave. Even when a partial days work has been completed.
-120 day letter
-Free training of RCA's
-Mandates, then grievance
-Lack of timeliness in grievance procedure
-Absorbing management responsibilities via mandates
-Bullying, hostile workplace

A short list. I know there are more. This is just low hanging fruit.

Last edited:

Beanut

THIS ^^^^^

I just love when regulars cry they have something to do, but can't get it off and management will do whatever for them. RCA expected to work all the time and never get help. HECK most of the time when I get done, I'm expected to help others.

Like yesterday (day after holiday), my regular is gone on vacation. Truck breaks down. We don't get most of our mail til 930. I left the office at 1220, and had to bust my butt to get done before 6, which I did (Did help they let me take out packages when waiting for truck) still though. If that was some certain regulars (we will call crybabies), they would be whining how they need help and what not. They would get help.
My regular (we only have the one FT route in our office) has never asked for package assistance in the 19 years I’ve been there. And he could have used it this Friday…I told him ask for it…he deserves it.
He probably won’t.
I also told him to leave the curbed bulk flats for me Saturday morning to sort. I usually have nothing to do while we wait for the truck to arrive…he sorted them all…stubborn 🤷‍♀️

ATCBigE

My regular (we only have the one FT route in our office) has never asked for package assistance in the 19 years I’ve been there. And he could have used it this Friday…I told him ask for it…he deserves it.
He probably won’t.
I also told him to leave the curbed bulk flats for me Saturday morning to sort. I usually have nothing to do while we wait for the truck to arrive…he sorted them all…stubborn 🤷‍♀️

Oh there are few good regulars out there for sure. I know quite a few, but some are just lazyyyyyyy.

Old Fart

You and your office sounds a lot like mine. I transferred into mine a little less than 10 years ago and after a PM change, we have had a 110% change the culture in our office. Our new PM was also new to being a PM and very receptive to listening to us as well as instituting many of our ideas. I had a background like yours and feel that I had in impact in effecting that change. We all work together, cover each others back all the way from RCA, Clerk to PM. If there is something to get done, we make it happen! On the clock, off the clock, cross craft it doesn't matter! The PM has been willing on more than one occasion to take the right stance on issues that a typical PM wouldn't have balls to do, because he knows we have his back. PM knows that we give 100% daily, have zero internal HR issues and those that we have are worked out as Step Ones on the spot because we trust and respect each other! Its a great place to work (our office), now if we could only get the operations outside our bubble (USPS) to become the same way. I'm just hoping that things here will stay Status Quo until retirement (3 + yrs) as it will make what is uncontrollable that much easier to deal with until that time!
We only cross craft when there's absolutely no within craft alternative so nobody complains because it comes back to help themselves at some point.

I'm guessing the culture we enjoy is not common within the post office. It takes the right leadership, PLUS proactive carriers willing to take the extra time, and many of us have the education and experience outside the post office, to enable practical results driven solutions that would never have a chance at District or Area.

Worve

sorry to the good rca's out there but, at Christmas time i see our \s going for rides milking as well as any city carrier could
I fully admit I will milk out parcel on Particular routes in office. only Because if I don’t they are the ones to call PO and ask for more help when they are the smallest routes in office. Smallest by parcel volume mail flats and boxes but the ones who cry the most.

ATCBigE

I fully admit I will milk out parcel on Particular routes in office. only Because if I don’t they are the ones to call PO and ask for more help when they are the smallest routes in office. Smallest by parcel volume mail flats and boxes but the ones who cry the most.

THIS ^^^^^ I don't blame you at all for milking it.

One thing that aggravates me more than anything is the bold. They feel left out if they don't get help.

Mark Oliver

He probably won’t.
Obviously not a high volume Amazon office. Most offices, I've come to learn, have no idea what it is like to be buried by Amazon. No clue at all.

Beanut

Obviously not a high volume Amazon office. Most offices, I've come to learn, have no idea what it is like to be buried by Amazon. No clue at all.
We were buried all last year, along with seasonal homes selling and residents who’ve never had a box on the street putting up boxes and ordering everything!!!! We have households who get 6-10 packages a day.

It was a bit better this summer but for a maxed out k-route and a 30+ yr employee he’s a rockstar. Never asks for help, never takes a sick day, just does his job and does it well.

FYI- I’ve been sent to “Amazon” offices and we get the same ratio of Amazon as they do. No Amazon trucks delivering around here…

Mark Oliver

We were buried all last year, along with seasonal homes selling and residents who’ve never had a box on the street putting up boxes and ordering everything!!!! We have households who get 6-10 packages a day.

It was a bit better this summer but for a maxed out k-route and a 30+ yr employee he’s a rockstar. Never asks for help, never takes a sick day, just does his job and does it well.

FYI- I’ve been sent to “Amazon” offices and we get the same ratio of Amazon as they do. No Amazon trucks delivering around here…

No one can beat the 2080 if that is true. I'm sick of the fake hero regular stories.

Windindaface

" Residents who’ve never had a box on the street putting up boxes and ordering everything!!!!"

New curbside side boxes popping up from customers who are long time POB renters should be less frequent.

The new POB feature https://www.usps.com/pobox/customer-agreement-for-premium-po-box-service-enhancements.pdf now includes acceptance of items for those POB renters. I was expecting growth of curbside boxes with this higher fee. So far no new boxes from the POB renters have appeared.

JS... They found a way to generate revenue, more clerk time, while stagnating Rural Route mail box service growth.

PS... Since this policy went into effect. Our office has new banks of POB'S with Parcel Lockers.

Last edited: