• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Walking Distance Limits?

Bukowski

A regular carrier in my office is in a dilemma. A cray cray customer who has gone to the extent of contacting congress because his carrier will not, by permission of management, deliver parcels to the door, has possibly emerged victorious in the wake of a safety inspectors decision. There are a plethora of reasons the carrier reached the point at which they would no longer drive down the driveway, all of which are valid. The customer obsessively watches every move the carrier makes, calls continuously with false complaints, hassles the carrier to no end. In addition, the driveway is apparently in less than ideal condition. Management has inspected the area and determined the carrier would no longer deliver to the door. The safety inspector, whom I believe was summoned by el crazio, decided the carrier will walk the 377 feet to the door, and of course, 377 back to the truck. The carrier has contacted the union steward and is waiting to hear back. They know I participate in this forum and asked me if I had ever heard of rules regarding distance on foot to the door. Does anyone know if there is any recourse for this carrier?

Backing 50 feet is unsafe. That's a base to start from.

Slips trips and falls are the #1 injury. I would want management to sign off liability when the carrier gets hurt.

Does said customer have a psform4027 on file? That one authorizes delivery service.

I have never found anything in writing that specifies a particular distance that is required of us to walk nor a distance that is considered "too far".

The price one pays when doing a 6 point turn at the end of the driveway and "kiss" their lawn with ride.

This customer is a Inside their mask licker nuts. A HARDSHIP for delivery could also be considered. We have 603. It needs serious updating.

Meanwhile at the office.. leaders put on their masks while speaking on their own phone.

Last edited:
If the driveway is not safe to drive then it would be unsafe to walk as well. If it is unsafe only because of a backing issue and not a bumpy deteriorated roadway then that carrier will have to walk if so directed. They should, however, ask for the extra time to be added onto their route's evaluation, if this is a daily event.

The PO 603 says we are to deliver parcels to the door if the customer has a passable driveway. Logically if you can't go down the driveway, then they don't get parcels to the door.

331.2 Oversized Parcels 331.21 Attract Customer to Box If a parcel is too large for the box, make a reasonable effort to attract the customer to the box to receive the parcel. Do this by sounding the horn or by hailing the customer. If unsuccessful, you must deliver parcels to any residence or business that is on the line of travel, or within one-half mile of the route and has a passable road leading to it. You are required to dismount to effect delivery if there is no response to your efforts to have the customer come to the vehicle, or if the customer requests that you do so.

Bukowski et al -- " Management has inspected the area and determined the carrier would no longer deliver to the door. The safety inspector, whom I believe was summoned by el crazio, decided the carrier will walk the 377 feet to the door, and of course, 377 back to the truck."

-- And no doubt will be summoned to the office each day the carrier walks to the house and back as to why the vehicle was in one place for 10 minutes!

-- And that is assuming the carrier only needs one trip for the delivery.

-- Has the carrier submitted a 1767 ( with photos ).

-- Any loose or wild critters in the area?

I'm concerned about the safety of this carrier being harrassed by the customer. Carrier walking to the door, almost 400 feet away from the safety of their vehicle really worries me. If carrier is forced to do this, I suggest they carry their cellphone with them. It almost sounds like the customer needs a restraining order placed against them.

I am a little confused by this post.

First I read about the customer contacting their Congress Person then I read a safety inspector said the drive way is not safe to drive down so the carrier has to walk 377 feet each way.

Who is this safety inspector? Is this a Postal Service Employee? Was this inspector asked by the Congress person to make this safety check? Was this safety inspector hired by the Customer to check the driveway for safety?

I don’t believe the Safety inspector has the authority to to decide that the Carrier must walk 754 or feet or almost .15 miles to make a delivery. The safety inspector may tell the decision maker his opinion but that should be it. If the Safety inspector is a Postal Employee the inspector may say the driveway is unsafe or impassable which has been done.

I don’t know of a specific rule that limits how far a carrier may be forced to walk to deliver a package. I think btdtret has the right idea of the way to approach the problem.

I also believe we need more information such as who the mediate opponent really is at this time. A Congress person and a manager should be approached in different ways.

The PO 603 says we are to deliver parcels to the door if the customer has a passable driveway. Logically if you can't go down the driveway, then they don't get parcels to the door.

331.2 Oversized Parcels 331.21 Attract Customer to Box If a parcel is too large for the box, make a reasonable effort to attract the customer to the box to receive the parcel. Do this by sounding the horn or by hailing the customer. If unsuccessful, you must deliver parcels to any residence or business that is on the line of travel, or within one-half mile of the route and has a passable road leading to it. You are required to dismount to effect delivery if there is no response to your efforts to have the customer come to the vehicle, or if the customer requests that you do so.

Can you define passable? What if I told you managements handbook m38.400 roads, has already defined passable. What if driveways and private roads are not passable unless a ps4027 was approved and a written commitment was made to maintain that roadway as passable? Would you believe it?

A regular carrier in my office is in a dilemma. A cray cray customer who has gone to the extent of contacting congress because his carrier will not, by permission of management, deliver parcels to the door, has possibly emerged victorious in the wake of a safety inspectors decision. There are a plethora of reasons the carrier reached the point at which they would no longer drive down the driveway, all of which are valid. The customer obsessively watches every move the carrier makes, calls continuously with false complaints, hassles the carrier to no end. In addition, the driveway is apparently in less than ideal condition. Management has inspected the area and determined the carrier would no longer deliver to the door. The safety inspector, whom I believe was summoned by el crazio, decided the carrier will walk the 377 feet to the door, and of course, 377 back to the truck. The carrier has contacted the union steward and is waiting to hear back. They know I participate in this forum and asked me if I had ever heard of rules regarding distance on foot to the door. Does anyone know if there is any recourse for this carrier?

Just don't do it. Safety, safety, safety. Number one priority at the USPS. If that Carrier doesn't feel safe doing it, they should NOT do it. Call their effing bluff people. Stop being a candy ass.

I am a little confused by this post.

First I read about the customer contacting their Congress Person then I read a safety inspector said the drive way is not safe to drive down so the carrier has to walk 377 feet each way.

Who is this safety inspector? Is this a Postal Service Employee? Was this inspector asked by the Congress person to make this safety check? Was this safety inspector hired by the Customer to check the driveway for safety?

I don’t believe the Safety inspector has the authority to to decide that the Carrier must walk 754 or feet or almost .15 miles to make a delivery. The safety inspector may tell the decision maker his opinion but that should be it. If the Safety inspector is a Postal Employee the inspector may say the driveway is unsafe or impassable which has been done.

I don’t know of a specific rule that limits how far a carrier may be forced to walk to deliver a package. I think btdtret has the right idea of the way to approach the problem.

I also believe we need more information such as who the mediate opponent really is at this time. A Congress person and a manager should be approached in different ways.
All good questions Surprise! I'm not exactly sure of the answers unfortunately. The carrier told me the story but my memory of specifics like who the safety inspector is/how were they brought in, etc. is muddled or perhaps the carrier never said. I've encouraged coworkers to join this forum, including the one for whom I'm seeking answers. Would make more sense if it came from the horse's mouth.

All good questions Surprise! I'm not exactly sure of the answers unfortunately. The carrier told me the story but my memory of specifics like who the safety inspector is/how were they brought in, etc. is muddled or perhaps the carrier never said. I've encouraged coworkers to join this forum, including the one for whom I'm seeking answers. Would make more sense if it came from the horse's mouth.
Management is responsible for the carrier’s safety period. Management has the final say. If they feel it’s unsafe for the carrier to deliver to that address for the reasons you stated, that’s sufficient. We have Postal Inspectors, never heard of Safety Inspectors.

You should ask your management to put the postal inspector to inspect the safety inspector and the crazy person. And probably suspend the mail delivery as well for creating a dangerous situation.

Last edited:
The PO 603 says we are to deliver parcels to the door if the customer has a passable driveway.
Where does it say in the PO 603? The PO 603 say we can leave it next to the mail box in the next paragraph.

From the OIG report, we are delivering parcels to the front door as a free service.

No..but there is a mandate requiring carriers not to drive down a driveway if they can not see whether they can turn around or not in the driveway so as not to use reverse...USPS rules smh

No..but there is a mandate requiring carriers not to drive down a driveway if they can not see whether they can turn around or not in the driveway so as not to use reverse...USPS rules smh
I guess that's why they're making the carrier walk.

Back