What 4wd makes, models work good for this job?

driftdodger

Hi guys.. time to car shop again. With ya'lls' experience, wondering if there are any recommended reliable makes/models..perhaps year ranges. that work well delivering mail in winter? I know about the CR-V and the RHD jeeps, etc.. but are there any others I should check out?

Many thanx!

ATCBigE

People may laugh at me for saying I drive car, but nothing a good pair of snow tire can't help with winter more than 4WD.

I have pair of snow tires I put on my 95 Lesabre for winter and throw some weights in the back. Works real well.

PastOThirty

4 door pickups or suvs can work well, especially if they are split bench without a console. The bigger they are the more they carry but lose nimbleness. The longer they are the turning radius tends to increase and you can weave less in and around cars parked street side in the suburbs.

vans and especially minivans are typically cheaper

If you go with a pickup you will need something to secure the contents of the bed, even if it’s a lockable tonneau cover.

Unclewolverine

I'd enjoy a 4x4 Chevy Astro van. So cool. That's my dream my reality is a older tj. Real estate is the issue. I go anywhere I want to though. Crank handles are a good thing too.
Thats my plan when I make regular, keep the xj as backup; convert an awd astro or safari to rhd. Someone did it online, almost looks factory. A lot of people do like Subaru, do they still have head gasket issues?

johnwayne

if you dont have 4wd..you cant get places safely.:unsure:. people expect less of you, you dont go where you are going to get stuck. that being said..im 5 ft 8. and my truck is too wide for me to sit in the middle and reach the mailboxes. I do have a crv and a buick. the buick gets around pretty well for an old, low slung car. The crv does better just for the ground clearance factor.

Morty

Subaru Forester. Only put a pedal kit in it. Jeep RHD:$36+k, certified used subaru +100k bumper to bumper warranty $19+k. Hence "good price/value/peace of mind".

Unclewolverine

Subaru Forester. Only put a pedal kit in it. Jeep RHD:$36+k, certified used subaru +100k bumper to bumper warranty $19+k. Hence "good price/value/peace of mind".

JK jeep rhd (wherever morty lives) 36k
JK jeep rhd (here in the midwest) 10-15k
XJ jeep rhd $2.5 k

Same cargo space, same route gas mileage, way more reliable, cheaper and easier to work on. Xjs are all high miles now but mileage has never scared me. Mines got 270k and doing great. Rca that just quit bought a jk with less than 200k, threw a rod, was quoted 3k for a used engine + labor. Last time I bought a used engine for an xj it was $100 and took a weekend to put in. But I do my own work, your mileage may vary. Also, some people just won't feel safe driving something designed in the Regan administration, I dont fault them for that.

Haychica

People may laugh at me for saying I drive car, but nothing a good pair of snow tire can't help with winter more than 4WD.

I have pair of snow tires I put on my 95 Lesabre for winter and throw some weights in the back. Works real well.
The best car I used was a dodge Aries k station wagon with a bench front seat...ahh...too old....😏😉😂
Having said that my jeep Cherokee was the longest I used...
Other cars ....my friend uses a huge Chrysler mini van and also I would highly recommend any 4x4 Subaru...
Good luck...Fwiw...I miss my pov....yes I had to maintain it but if you learn to do some of it yourself its not too bad...I had a.c., 4x4, 360°visual( no stupid pot lid mirrors like the gov)...I had a great stereo...I digress
Good luck👍😀

Krissyg6

I paid $2500 for a 2000 Dodge Durango, and $500 for my dual brake. Third row, tons of room, and the wide wheel base is amazing in bad winters. Only have to use 4x4 on the really bad dirt roads. I love it.