What are we going to be paid for selling stamps?

btdtret

p-h-d et al -- "I carry stamps all the time. Very rural area here. Sell about $200 - $300 stamps per month. Under the new system, are we going to be paid for that ."

-- Per the 4241-M in the August 2018 issue of the national magazine, the standard 20 minutes per week is gone.

-- Replaced by "S067" -- Contact Rural Reach Customers ( 5.2458 minutes ) -- Weekly AVG from Carrier MDD input ( have to punch the correct scanner key ) and by

-- "S068" -- Sell stamp stock ( 0.7140 minute ) Weekly Avg from Carrier MDD input - street only ( punch in correct scanner key ) "Per unit" -- is that per stamp, per book, or per roll? Anyone??

Haychica

p-h-d et al -- "I carry stamps all the time. Very rural area here. Sell about $200 - $300 stamps per month. Under the new system, are we going to be paid for that ."

-- Per the 4241-M in the August 2018 issue of the national magazine, the standard 20 minutes per week is gone.

-- Replaced by "S067" -- Contact Rural Reach Customers ( 5.2458 minutes ) -- Weekly AVG from Carrier MDD input ( have to punch the correct scanner key ) and by

-- "S068" -- Sell stamp stock ( 0.7140 minute ) Weekly Avg from Carrier MDD input - street only ( punch in correct scanner key ) "Per unit" -- is that per stamp, per book, or per roll? Anyone??
GEEZUS...WHAT THE F

Windindaface

Both credits of 67-68 btd mentions involves street time.

My follow up question I have about selling stamps is.... What would we enter in scanner to be paid for the task of, purchasing these stamps to have on hand? If it would fall under S068 entry wouldn't the scanner reflect this action as an in office event?

I see time for parcels accepted under S044 .1034 sec for each item under street time. So one would guess postage is applied.

So how are we to be paid when a customer give us cash/check for a parcel or any other item they want mailed after we ask the 20 questions required with no postage on it?

Just saying at my office we have to stand in the window line to mail a non postage item and pay for the parcel/item given to us so we can verify/tap the hazardous question on the little customer screen they have because the clerks refuse to tap it claiming it's not their job with managements approval.

I see nothing under OTHER SUITABLE ALLOWANCE for this task under RRECS.

Last edited:

RDruckus

We are not to stand in line.
I buy my stamps at the window, but I go there 5 minutes before it's open to the public.

My route rarely requires me to get postage for a parcel, most are prepaid.

The ones I must have weighed, etc, the clerks do, after I turn in parcel, cash and penalty envelope filled out for the transaction.

Some of our routes get cash parcels daily.

Good question about RRECS.

Windindaface

@RDruckus … don't get me wrong but why are you buying stamp stock before window opens? Sure under current rules we are given the 20. But under the current 20 factor it does not mention when we are required or how or when to purchase our stamp stock.

Just mentioning … since we work behind the front window and in this time and age. What gives us the rite or written rule allows us to buy stamps before the window opens before the general public as they stand behind locked doors and seeing this?

btdtret

Windindaface et al -- "Just saying at my office we have to stand in the window line to mail a non postage item and pay for the parcel/item given to us so we can verify/tap the hazardous question on the little customer screen they have because the clerks refuse to tap it claiming it's not their job with managements approval."

-- If tired in standing in line, trying citing Step 4 ( S-59 ) in part: Rural carriers ARE NOT REQUIRED to into the lobby to replenish their stamp stock or weigh, rate and affix postage. Various allowances for stamps and posting of articles incorporate the assumpition that rural carriers have access to scales and stamp stock replenishment without going into the lobby.

-- Appears that should be addressed by RRECS. since the 20-minute weekly allowance will no longer apply.

-- The access to scales and rate tables went bye-bye with the introduction of the anomymous parcel procedures.

RDruckus

We used to purchase more stamps in the afternoon, from the clerk at the accountable cage.
Decades ago, they stopped that, and allowed us to get them in the morning, before the window opens.

We are not to stand in line.

WestCoastRural

Both credits of 67-68 btd mentions involves street time.

My follow up question I have about selling stamps is.... What would we enter in scanner to be paid for the task of, purchasing these stamps to have on hand? If it would fall under S068 entry wouldn't the scanner reflect this action as an in office event?

I see time for parcels accepted under S044 .1034 sec for each item under street time. So one would guess postage is applied.

So how are we to be paid when a customer give us cash/check for a parcel or any other item they want mailed after we ask the 20 questions required with no postage on it?

Just saying at my office we have to stand in the window line to mail a non postage item and pay for the parcel/item given to us so we can verify/tap the hazardous question on the little customer screen they have because the clerks refuse to tap it claiming it's not their job with managements approval.

I see nothing under OTHER SUITABLE ALLOWANCE for this task under RRECS.

Under RRECS I think you get actual time, you do back from route function and end of shift function. All the time in between is actual time and it’s where you buy postage and mail those letters/parcels.

callofthewild

Last mail count, was at the Intermediate office....you get actual time when buying stamps at a Intermediate office plus your 20 minutes for the headout office stamp stock time. The Clerk at the Intermediate Office is S L O W, so I called out "buying stamps" to the route counter. I thought it was odd the counter didn't follow me up to the retail sales area, but oh well, I had my stop watch. Then what happened was so classic. The customer wanted post cards, 30 post cards, first the Clerk didn't have them in her drawer to sell, then she had to go get the PM to get them out of the safe, then she counted them back to me..........6 minutes later I finally completed the sale. Told the Route Counter, that was 6 minutes, she said no way I am giving you 6 minutes to buy 30 post cards, I showed her my stop watch. Mercy, going to miss mail counts...........NOT. I sell a lot of stamps still, just today a roll and a book and about 15 or so single stamps; sure hope we get paid something for selling stamps and stocking stamps.

C$$

This is how I understand it:

1) Under RRECS you get 0.7140 minutes per TRANSACTION at a mailbox. Sell 1 stamp: 0.7140 minutes. Sell a roll of stamps: 0.7140 minutes. Have a customer buy 9 stamps with only pennies flung haphazardly into the mailbox: 0.7140 minutes. You will need 28 transactions to make back your 20 minutes of stamp time under the eval system.

2) I hope WestCoast is right, and we will get actual time to replenish stamp stock as an "end of shift function." However, it is not expressly stated one way or the other in the study comparison.

3) There is a 5.248 minutes to "contact rural reach customers." I'm already building a rapport with all the pleasant, single ladies on my route. I'm planning to visit them several times a week, make sure they know the post office sells stamps, and see where the conversation goes from there :)

Gibrone

My office doesn't have a window where we sell stamps so replenishing takes a bit longer. After the second time sending my payment and not receiving my stamps, I now have to drive to another office to purchase them in-person. I don't mind doing that for my customers to keep plenty of stock, but losing the stamp stock time hurts. I sell rolls at a time, it isn't like I can front a big stash of stamps. I like being able to sell stamps to one business in particular, I don't want to try & convince them to do Stamps By Mail but USPS is making it hard.