What's a good way to get work with other offices?

chuey_316

Hey everyone. I'm a fairly new RCA here, been at it for about 2 months. So far I've been called by one office to help run parcels, but it's an hour drive just for me to get there. I have about 7 other offices within 15-25 minutes of my home, including one a few blocks away. What would be a good way to introduce myself and get my foot in the door so to speak, in order to pick up some extra hours during the week? Call each one up? Go in person?

Obviously I'm most interested in helping my local office since it's less gas, and less travel time, but all of these offices are closer than the one I work for, so it's a win/win either way. Any tips on how to go about it?

Charlie Brown

Go in person and introduce yourself to the PM if possible. Don't go when they're busy, wait until late morning so they have time to get the carriers on the street. Keep in mind that they may have reservations about using you since you've only been an RCA 2 months. If you do get work closer to home you may find you have an opportunity to transfer to that office. To transfer you must have either 1 year in or 90 actual work days. (training days and partial days count) I

chuey_316

Thank you. I'll start with my local office this week. I'm a little over 30 days worked at this point. One thing that will hopefully help me is that I have lived here my whole life, and have been doing deliveries in the area in one form or another for 20+ years, so parcel runs are nothing for me.

btdtret

chuey_316 -- "One thing that will hopefully help me is that I have lived here my whole life, and have been doing deliveries in the area in one form or another for 20+ years, so parcel runs are nothing for me."

-- By all means, let the other postmasters know that you are very familiar with the local area. That should be a big boost in helping with parcel deliveries.

-- Give each new post office your best effort -- just in case your home post office turns out to be not so nice a place to work, after completing your probationary period ( thanx, "Charlie Brown" ) you can put in for a transfer to a nicer place.

chuey_316

Thank you both. I'll start going to offices tomorrow.

The office I work at is generally a good place. Only issue I have is that the acting manager has a problem with me casing the way I like to. She says it's "wasting time", yet when I case my way I am usually back in time for the truck, and when I do it her way I get done about 2 hours later.

I don't want to rock the boat while still within my 90 days, but on the 91st day I plan to grieve not being able to case how I see fit, and being forced to take dps to the street, resulting in me giving them free hours.

btdtret

chuey_316 -- "Only issue I have is that the acting manager has a problem with me casing the way I like to. She says it's "wasting time", yet when I case my way I am usually back in time for the truck, and when I do it her way I get done about 2 hours later."

-- I'll take a guess the manager prefers carrier take DPS to the street over casing it.

-- If you don't want to "rock the boat", don't bother showing her Section 223.1 or Section 226 of the PO-603. In part:

- 223.1 - you may case delivery point sequence mail, at YOUR OPTION, in accordance with 15, Schedules

- 226 - At YOUR OPTION, my may choose to case DPS mail in accordance with 15, Schedules.

-- Plus there are numerous Step 4's that say taking DPS to the street needs to be made on a case-by-case determination.

-- You could also point out that doing it "her way" takes you 2 hours longer.

-- Even though you are still in probation, you can contact your Assistant District Representative about being forced to take DPS to the street.

-- Anyone else being required to take DPS to the street? If not, that is "disparate treatment".

Worve

I would wait for your probationary time to be up before trying new offices Personally. That way if something does come up at another office you can grieve it and not have to be further abused. That being said if another office is routinely short handed let you management know you are willing to work. Been my experience management calls management to see if any rcas are available at other offices.

personally I get calls from PO around my area 2-3 times a week asking if I would like to work there that day. Only been mandated a cpl times. They don’t like mandating because then they have to pay you mileage from your main PO to new one. If you volunteer you don’t get paid mileage, but I could be wrong on that.

chuey_316

It's a mixture of taking dps to the street, and I like to place the last piece of mail for each address vertical, and anyone that's getting only 1 piece, I put it upside down. Makes it so I have zero fingering of the mail on the street. The mail for the next address is in my hand before I ever get to the box. She just wants it thrown up and pulled down, so I end up having to go through the mail at every stop, and with 673 stops, it adds allot of time overall.

I get that she's just trying to get me on the street quicker since I'm still learning the case, but if I'm a manager, which I have been at different places, I'm perfectly fine with someone getting on the road 20 minutes later, if it means that they are getting back an hour or two sooner.

chuey_316

The only two people that I'm aware of that have been told to take the DPS to the street is myself, and another new RCA that started when I did.

The manager mentioned to me that the other RCA is out of the office by 10, and I normally leave between 11-11:30 depending on how much mail and parcels there are on a given day. He uses an LLV, and I use a POV. He takes DPS to the street, and I prefer to case it.

I did tell her that it should be even more evident that my way works, since he gets an hour or so jump start on me, but yet I'm still back 30 minutes to an hour before him, because my way works much better on the street. Once I get fully acclimated to the case, I'll only get faster.

For the 1st month or so I was taking DPS to the street, and still getting out of the office at the same time as I do now when I case it, so I've definitely been making improvement as far as casing goes, but still have a way to go. Eval is 8.4 hours. When I do it her way it takes me 11-11.5 hours a day. My way is between 9-9.5 hours. It didn't bother me too much when I was getting paid hourly, but as of my next scheduled day, I'm getting paid straight eval.

I figure if I can get a couple days a week at other offices, not only can I make more money, but I can reach my 90 days in half the time, and have the job security to be able to grieve these types of things.

Last edited:

Worve

The biggest thing other offices will look at is the time it takes you on a new route. as Backwards as it may seem they still expect you to be done at or around eval even in a new office / new route just a heads up. That’s been my experience atleast. Only plus side about working outside your PO it is all hourly and not based off eval Pay wise. By all means get the extra hours if you feel comfortable doing so.

chuey_316

If it's just running parcels and not mail I have no problem with time. On Amazon Sunday's I'm always one of the 1st people back, even before the people that have been there for years. I usually end up helping out with other routes when I get back, and I'm still not the last one done.

Last edited:

flash

The biggest thing other offices will look at is the time it takes you on a new route. as Backwards as it may seem they still expect you to be done at or around eval even in a new office / new route just a heads up. That’s been my experience atleast. Only plus side about working outside your PO it is all hourly and not based off eval Pay wise. By all means get the extra hours if you feel comfortable doing so.
Only hourly if they’re still in the first five weeks (I think , or 5 pp??) either way, after the initial start period is over, you get rt eval. Only hourly pay is if on green card cause you split the route.

C$$

Per the most recent contract, RCAs are supposed to get mileage reimbursement for travelling to other offices. It can be complicated (depends on how far your residence is from your permanent office) and is often 'overlooked' by management. Just wanted you to be aware, in case no one has mentioned it. More details in this thread, as well other threads on this site:

Regarding your casing technique (letters vertical, flipped over), I didn't find anything in the PO-603 that says you CAN do that, but I also didn't find anything that says you CAN NOT. I'd say definitely talk to your local rep before pushing that grievance. More knowledge posters might have some insight into similar, past grievances?

Forced to take DPS to the street is always a contentious issue. btdt did a thorough summary here:

But in short, if you aren't making your office leave time, management can tell you to take your dps to the street.

I think you might be getting hassled about your casing and DPS b/c you are new. Once you're established, they will likely leave you alone, but no guarantees.

As far as drumming up more work: a longtime RCA here printed out business cards. He dropped them off at all of the surrounding POs, worked very well for him!

Good Luck!
-C$$

chuey_316

But in short, if you aren't making your office leave time, management can tell you to take your dps to the street.

I'm sure that's what's happening. Just hard for me to do something that's so backwards. Save a few minutes here, even though it'll cost you a couple hours there, makes zero sense.

As far as drumming up more work: a longtime RCA here printed out business cards. He dropped them off at all of the surrounding POs, worked very well for him!

That's a great idea. I may just try that.

Good Luck!
-C$$

hockey94

Per the most recent contract, RCAs are supposed to get mileage reimbursement for travelling to other offices. It can be complicated (depends on how far your residence is from your permanent office) and is often 'overlooked' by management. Just wanted you to be aware, in case no one has mentioned it. More details in this thread, as well other threads on this site:

Regarding your casing technique (letters vertical, flipped over), I didn't find anything in the PO-603 that says you CAN do that, but I also didn't find anything that says you CAN NOT. I'd say definitely talk to your local rep before pushing that grievance. More knowledge posters might have some insight into similar, past grievances?

Forced to take DPS to the street is always a contentious issue. btdt did a thorough summary here:

I think you might be getting hassled about your casing and DPS b/c you are new. Once you're established, they will likely leave you alone, but no guarantees.

Good Luck!
-C$$

Just an fyi, reimbursement for mileage only happens when mgt tells you have to go to another office !

hockey94

If it's just running parcels and not mail I have no problem with time. On Amazon Sunday's I'm always one of the 1st people back, even before the people that have been there for years. I usually end up helping out with other routes when I get back, and I'm still not the last one done.

When I would farm myself out to other PO's in some cases the route would be sorted already for me, I would just deal with the packages, pre amazon. Good luck !!

chuey_316

I'm not really worried about the mileage, since all of the offices I'm planning to offer assistance to are closer to me than the one I work at anyhow, but it's good to know in case I ever get ordered to go to a different office.

I'm planning to offer parcel assistance only, no mail delivery. Not until spring anyway. Too many boxes covered in snow and ice where you can't see the addresses around here. Don't want to be delivering mail on a new route and having to clear off every box to see if I'm at the right place. So far the only calls I've received from other offices have been for parcel help only, they're all just too far of a drive to be worth the time.

flash

I'm not really worried about the mileage, since all of the offices I'm planning to offer assistance to are closer to me than the one I work at anyhow, but it's good to know in case I ever get ordered to go to a different office.

I'm planning to offer parcel assistance only, no mail delivery. Not until spring anyway. Too many boxes covered in snow and ice where you can't see the addresses around here. Don't want to be delivering mail on a new route and having to clear off every box to see if I'm at the right place. So far the only calls I've received from other offices have been for parcel help only, they're all just too far of a drive to be worth the time.
Oh but it IS worth the time... the PMs all talk..... if you do a good job they will use you.... and if you’re in a small office? It’s imperative if you want more work to get a good reputation. It’s a golden Willy Wonka ticket 😂

chuey_316

Oh but it IS worth the time... the PMs all talk..... if you do a good job they will use you.... and if you’re in a small office? It’s imperative if you want more work to get a good reputation. It’s a golden Willy Wonka ticket 😂
I understand, but if I have to make a 2 hour round trip, just to get there and home, and possibly only get 2 hours pay, after fuel and vehicle wear and tear, I basically just cost myself money.

The problem is that the office I work at is 35 minutes north of my house, and all the offices that call for help are even further out. That's why I want to go to the 6 or so offices that are within 15 minutes east, west, and south of my house, and the local office that is a few blocks away. These offices would not generally call my office, unless it's a dire emergency, and they've exhausted all other available options.