• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Where's the RCA Annual Leave?

Bukowski

I know the usps gave designation 78s a payment in lieu of the AL set forth in the contract, but wasn't it supposed to kick in on this pay check? I'm a Designation 79 and feel short changed for being excluded from the payment because I was not always on my aux during this time period. Working my primary, I'm a 78. But whatever. Excluded. So be it. Isn't the contract mandated AL supposed to be backdated to when the contract officially took effect and aren't ALL RCAs (78, 79, 74) supposed to earn leave for ALL hours worked?

gotstamps said:
As of today (Pay Period 23), all RCAs are earning AL. This includes 74s & 79s. All RCAs will earn Annual Leave at the rate of 1 hr of AL per 20 hours worked in a Pay Period. Maximum AL hours will be 4 per Pay Period regardless of working over 80 hours in a pay period. This is the same rate as a new Regular or PTF.
After 90 days on a Hold-Down or Auxiliary, that RCA will change to a 74 or 79 & will be credited with earned Sick Leave. They no longer have to wait 90 days to earn/use AL.

I know the usps gave designation 78s a payment in lieu of the AL set forth in the contract, but wasn't it supposed to kick in on this pay check? I'm a Designation 79 and feel short changed for being excluded from the payment because I was not always on my aux during this time period. Working my primary, I'm a 78. But whatever. Excluded. So be it. Isn't the contract mandated AL supposed to be backdated to when the contract officially took effect and aren't ALL RCAs (78, 79, 74) supposed to earn leave for ALL hours worked?
79 earn AL and SL based off the aux evaluated hours. When a 79 works other routes then they earn 1 hr for every 20 hrs worked.

so a 79 would have to work minimum 20 hrs in a pay period to earn 1 more hour of AL. It could be 10 hrs one week 10 hrs the second week or any amount equal or greater then 20 hrs. it makes it difficult for bigger aux routes to get extra AL unless your office is short staffed.

The bold SADLY NO. Un Union gave them 6 gracious months to program the program for leave. USPS failed.

Settlement RCA get 20 an hour for 8 hours missed.

PAYMENT DATE AS SOON AS PRACTICALLY POSSIBLY!!!!!

It should be on this pay check we get Friday.

So Bukowski aren't they crediting you your AL?
What Bukowski is saying is that the special compensation for the missed pay periods during the delay of earning leave (for helping other routes) Designation 79's were not being compensated for. I brought this up during a State meeting with my DR and it was brushed aside as they are compensated for all hours worked on the aux route. It went over their head, the point is that they were not credited for hours worked assisting other routes after completing the aux route. Granted they will be in the future that doesn't remedy the balance of the 16 hours pay that was deserved during that delayed implementation.

Last edited:
What Bukowski is saying is that the special compensation for the missed pay periods during the delay of earning leave (for helping other routes) Designation 79's were not being compensated for. I brought this up during a State meeting with my DR and it was brushed aside as they are compensated for all hours worked on the aux route. It went over their head, the point is that they were not credited for hours work assisting other routes after completing the aux route. Granted they will be in the future that doesn't remedy the balance of the 16 hours pay that was deserved during that delayed implementation.
Yes, this exactly one of the points I was making in my question. Thank you for clarifying.

The bold SADLY NO. Un Union gave them 6 gracious months to program the program for leave. USPS failed.

Settlement RCA get 20 an hour for 8 hours missed.

PAYMENT DATE AS SOON AS PRACTICALLY POSSIBLY!!!!!

It should be on this pay check we get Friday.
Ok. Thanks for this info. I thought the leave was going to include all the hours worked back to when the contract took effect. Of course not though! What was I thinking?

So Bukowski aren't they crediting you your AL?
Not sure. The leave, both AL and SL, are all screwed up. Management missed inputting SL from October 5. I let them know, and it was "corrected" by putting 8 hours of SL on the next pay period (I indicated 5 hours on the slip). I think the manager isn't aware that RCAs can take time in hourly increments, not an 8 hour day like regulars. My head is spinning because more is incorrect and I'm just trying to figure it out. So frustrating. I can't take it anymore.

Not sure. The leave, both AL and SL, are all screwed up. Management missed inputting SL from October 5. I let them know, and it was "corrected" by putting 8 hours of SL on the next pay period (I indicated 5 hours on the slip). I think the manager isn't aware that RCAs can take time in hourly increments, not an 8 hour day like regulars. My head is spinning because more is incorrect and I'm just trying to figure it out. So frustrating. I can't take it anymore.
Only RCA 78s,Aux RCA 79s, & PTF 76s can take leave in hourly increments. Des 74 “Hold-down“ RCAs must take theirs in full day 8-hour increments.

What Bukowski is saying is that the special compensation for the missed pay periods during the delay of earning leave (for helping other routes) Designation 79's were not being compensated for. I brought this up during a State meeting with my DR and it was brushed aside as they are compensated for all hours worked on the aux route. It went over their head, the point is that they were not credited for hours work assisting other routes after completing the aux route. Granted they will be in the future that doesn't remedy the balance of the 16 hours pay that was deserved during that delayed implementation.
The “lost” AL was only a maximum of 8 hours that would have been paid out. Each pay period has a maximum of 4 hours of AL earning. The AL delay was 2 pay periods so that would be 8 hours. This was regardless Of actual hours worked.
Since 74s & 79s already earn AL, the Payout would NOT be 8 hours either since they actually earned some of that “maximum“ 4 hours per Pay Period & were credited that time. The remedy would have been the difference of 4 hours & the actual earned AL for each PP. This calculation process is likely why the 74s & 79s weren’t included.

You'll have to grieve it to see if the NRLCA will uphold the contract.
It’s too late for a Grievance. RCAs had 14 days from October 14 to file. That would have been the 1st Paycheck with AL credits.

No “Step 4 Grievance on this issue” was ever announced so that could not be used as a reason for holding off from filing.

It’s too late for a Grievance. RCAs had 14 days from October 14 to file. That would have been the 1st Paycheck with AL credits.

No “Step 4 Grievance on this issue” was ever announced so that could not be used as a reason for holding off from filing.
Not if the carrier was not aware of the issue until just now. But would need to grieve sooner than later.

I'm sure the 5.5 year steps table 1 board that hasn't delivered mail this century wouldn't understand the issue or care. The beautiful people at the top think scraps from the table is sufficient.

The “lost” AL was only a maximum of 8 hours that would have been paid out. Each pay period has a maximum of 4 hours of AL earning. The AL delay was 2 pay periods so that would be 8 hours. This was regardless Of actual hours worked.
Since 74s & 79s already earn AL, the Payout would NOT be 8 hours either since they actually earned some of that “maximum“ 4 hours per Pay Period & were credited that time. The remedy would have been the difference of 4 hours & the actual earned AL for each PP. This calculation process is likely why the 74s & 79s weren’t included.
Ok, so I had my number of of annual hours earned incorrect it should have been 8 not 16. That still leaves the fact that if a Aux route was evaluated for 32 hours and worked for 8 or more assisting another route they were only compensated with 3 hours leave or less. So if the same happened for 2 consecutive pay periods they would have been shorted 2 hours leave or pay from the special compensation agreement! An easy remedy would have been to just grant a complete 4 hours for each 79s. The 74s shouldn't have had a problem as most are already working more than 40 hours in a week and also are currently earning leave.

Last edited:
Ok, so I had my number of of annual hours earned incorrect it should have been 8 not 16. That still leaves the fact that if a Aux route was evaluated for 32 hours and worked for 8 or more assisting another route they were only compensated with 3 hours leave. So if the same happened for 2 consecutive pay periods they would have been shorted 2 hours leave or pay from the special compensation agreement! An easy remedy would have been to just grant a complete 4 hours for each 79s. The 74s shouldn't have had a problem as most are already working more than 40 hours in a week and also are currently earning leave.
74s in my office keep their hours under 40. They got screwed, too.

That Aux route may not have even earned 3 hours if they work under the Evaluation.

All Leave Replacements are credited “Leave“ based on their Actual work hours, not evaluation.

Back