• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Why are we not getting credit for anything taken to the second floor?

Carrierguy

So I decided to time how long it takes me to deliver only ONE package to the 3rd floor of one of my many office buildings. Walking from their mailbox at the bottom of the building It took 50 seconds to get off the elevator on the 3rd floor. I was at 1min 5sec by the time I put the package at the door and 2min by the time I was back at the cluster boxes on the ground floor.

Mind you this is only one package with no wait at the elevator, but as far as RRECS is concerned I only traveled a mere 5 feet from the cluster box and as such will get minimal time for the front door delivery.

This is exacerbated considering I have over 10 of these office buildings a 3 story apartment complex, plus some smaller approx 20(but not insignificant) apartments where you enter on the mid level and can either go up or down.

So I decided to time how long it takes me to deliver only ONE package to the 3rd floor of one of my many office buildings. Walking from their mailbox at the bottom of the building It took 50 seconds to get off the elevator on the 3rd floor. I was at 1min 5sec by the time I put the package at the door and 2min by the time I was back at the cluster boxes on the ground floor.

Mind you this is only one package with no wait at the elevator, but as far as RRECS is concerned I only traveled a mere 5 feet from the cluster box and as such will get minimal time for the front door delivery.

This is exacerbated considering I have over 10 of these office buildings a 3 story apartment complex, plus some smaller approx 20(but not insignificant) apartments where you enter on the mid level and can either go up or down.
Just another one of MANY MANY flaws with this system!

Because none of our nrlca leaders ever delivered to a multi story building. It wasn't a concern for them in their experience. What they were clueless about is the rapid increase of high density housing on rural routes across the nation. Gosh, we're getting more cbu delivery...anyone ask what building that cbu was affiliated with? No.

Last edited:
Oh and since I’m on a tangent. Another one of these offices on the second floor likes to randomly order 20-30 LARGE Heavy Amazon boxes. To the point that their deliveries alone fill up my truck. Every package ends up needing one trip from truck to elevator til I have 2/3 packages by the elevator. I then close and lock my truck (like a good mailman who always follows the rules) bring those 2/3 packages one by one from the elevator to the door, and then repeating this process for however many packages they got. This typically ends up with me spending 30 minutes at this one stop. But that’s okay because RRECS is going to give me 10 “trips to door” for a distance of about 2 feet because coincidentally the office that orders them is directly above the front door And RRECS doesn’t understand that not every delivery location is on the first floor.

Oh and since I’m on a tangent. Another one of these offices on the second floor likes to randomly order 20-30 LARGE Heavy Amazon boxes. To the point that their deliveries alone fill up my truck. Every package ends up needing one trip from truck to elevator til I have 2/3 packages by the elevator. I then close and lock my truck (like a good mailman who always follows the rules) bring those 2/3 packages one by one from the elevator to the door, and then repeating this process for however many packages they got. This typically ends up with me spending 30 minutes at this one stop. But that’s okay because RRECS is going to give me 10 “trips to door” for a distance of about 2 feet because coincidentally the office that orders them is directly above the front door And RRECS doesn’t understand that not every delivery location is on the first floor.
I'm so glad you understand the new math. Many are in for a surprise.

Because none of our nrlca leaders ever delivered to a multi story building. It wasn't a concern for them in ther experience. What they were clueless about is the rapid increase of high density housing on rural routes across the nation. Gosh, we're getting more cbu delivery...anyone ask what building that cbu was affiliated with? No.
Do you know if all “new” developments are REQUIRED to have CBU’s? Which plays right into the USPS favor.

They should have a designated location on ground level for you. I can only imagine the toll physically from that one stop!

Unless their is a pre existing city ordinance about maintaining a type of delivery for developers, by default, all new stuff is cbu.
Or have a old PM who knows where all the skeletons are. all Apartments were required to have a mail Location under key. Parcels are left in that room scanned as mail room. Not looking forward to the new 400 tenant apartment complex. New PM has no pull or Gaul to try anything like that.

I will look, but there is something inwje RRECS for this.
It is done when you do the mapping.
It is like the wait time at a gated community.
I have still not done my mapping and am waiting as I also have a 3 story medical building that orders stuff.
It takes over 90 seconds just waiting at elevator for it to come down open and go to 3rd floor..a very slow and safe elevator I guess.
But there is something in RRECS that is part of mapping where you ad extra time for waiting or whatnot.
If someone does not find it , I will look in the next few days.
Pretty sure it was part of Q& A

I have still not done my mapping and am waiting as I also have a 3 story medical building that orders stuff.
It takes over 90 seconds just waiting at elevator for it to come down open and go to 3rd floor..a very slow and safe elevator I guess.
But there is something in RRECS that is part of mapping where you ad extra time for waiting or whatnot.
I appreciate it but I think that waiting time is only added if it’s required to access the mailbox/mail drop off location.

So in your situation if you dropped the mail off on the first floor of the medical building, you’d get nothing.

If you had to drop the mail off on the 3rd floor and had to wait for the elevator only then would you get credit.

After mapping there is a section where authorized dismounts need to be verified. There is a column for additional time. I believe this is where you would add time for having to wait for elevators or opening a gate or whatever else qualifies for added time.

That's why you have 2 options:
1). ,leave at the box/notice
2). File a grievance fir the distance..they'll have to bring out their little wheel and follow you up and back 🙄 what does your rep say?

338. Waiting on elevators. Is that timed during the mini mail counts?

A. This time and time for stairs at Authorized Dismount locations only should be entered at the time of mapping under Other Time for the dismount location. There is no time allowance for stairs or elevators with normal delivery of parcels or accountable mail to an address that is not an Authorized Dismount.
( posted as is from Q&A)

Last edited:
That's why you have 2 options:
1). ,leave at the box/notice
2). File a grievance fir the distance..they'll have to bring out their little wheel and follow you up and back 🙄 what does your rep say?
Didn’t think I could file over something like this? I’ve brought up the question of how to get credit for delivering parcels on different floors in the past and for the most part the union rep says that it’s not currently possible. I’ll ask him again when he returns his voicemail states that he’s currently out of town.

Parcel times are preset. You can only add time if the mail delivery is a daily necessity to wait for elevator or climb stairs. I wish the " leadership" had explained urban routes to engineers but they didn't. And most test routes in urban cities didn't count because the data was bad from splitting routes and short staffing shortcuts.

I will say the software is designed to give door credit if a carrier chooses left with individual at address. So if you hand something to a customer near the cbu or on their lawn, the credit is to the door. Perhaps that was the engineers trying to even the disparity.

338. Waiting on elevators. Is that timed during the mini mail counts?

A. This time and time for stairs at Authorized Dismount locations only should be entered at the time of mapping under Other Time for the dismount location. There is no time allowance for stairs or elevators with normal delivery of parcels or accountable mail to an address that is not an Authorized Dismount.
( posted as is from Q&A)
I think this is what I was remembering.
But I consider the CBU on the first floor an authorized dismount and would then argue that I get the time to deliver parcels to the 3rd floor, just like you would get the driving credit delivering to a house door.
When/if I ever get mapped I will try to argue that since the authorized dismount is in the same building that I get the timed credit for waiting for parcels to the the 2nd and 3rd floors, just like we get credit for driving to the address.
Maybe this will and maybe they wont take it.
I doubt if anyone will look once it is put in.

Back