• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

WiFi Padlocks and parcel bins

Casca

So, got asked today by a clerk if it was ok for a customer to use a WiFi padlock on a parcel bin for delivery. Basically carrier scans the package for delivery, then presses a button on the padlock to scan it again. lock pops open if that package is supposed to be delivered to that address, open the bin, put the package in, and lock it. Somehow the locks knows what tracking numbers are due for delivery any given day.

I don’t think we have time for it, either to scan twice, or wait until the padlock decides to open. And then what if it’s already full?

so anyway, what do you think?

No opinion on the matter as it will be a pain, and you won’t get paid for it.... but what do we do as carriers? If you start something, it’ll never end...
What it does show, is our union is so behind the times! We desperately need new language on package delivery and I don’t think RRECS solves it.... maybe this conversation should really pick up more steam and be brought to NRLCAs attention....

I agree with Flash, once you start, you must do it! I would treat it like a key-locked private mail box. I can't carry keys for all of them, nor would I want to if something was to go missing from inside. Would you be the only delivery service using the locked parcel locker? While it sounds good, think if WiFi isn't functioning for some reason, how do you explain not delivering to the customer? Too many variables. Just know what the customer would be expecting first.

I agree with Flash, once you start, you must do it! I would treat it like a key-locked private mail box. I can't carry keys for all of them, nor would I want to if something was to go missing from inside. Would you be the only delivery service using the locked parcel locker? While it sounds good, think if WiFi isn't functioning for some reason, how do you explain not delivering to the customer? Too many variables. Just know what the customer would be expecting first.
This has been addressed before. We are allowed to use customer locking parcel boxes. Carrier’s get an extra SCAN credit during mailcount and if the box is not accessible, Carriers are to leave the parcel at the door.

Back