Amazon’s expansion in Knoxville threatens jobs and livelihoods of rural carriers

Ruralinfo

Administrator
Staff member
Amazon’s expansion of its delivery network into rural areas is replacing the United States Postal Service (USPS) as its last mile delivery service and threatening the livelihoods of rural carriers. The e-commerce giant has extended its reach into smaller markets and rural areas, a move that has significant economic implications for rural carriers and raises ... Read more
 
Surprised this didn't happen already. 2 years late as it was planned by Amazon to be operational in 2022. Knoxville proper is 200,000+ with 800,000 metro, much of which is rural territory turned higher density suburbs.
 
Surprised this didn't happen already. 2 years late as it was planned by Amazon to be operational in 2022. Knoxville proper is 200,000+ with 800,000 metro, much of which is rural territory turned higher density suburbs.
Amazon's plans are when an area reaches critical mass, where a warehouse supports their dedicated delivery fleet and there are enough parcels with deliveries close enough together for them to be profitable, they convert to their own fleets from USPS.
 
Surprised this didn't happen already. 2 years late as it was planned by Amazon to be operational in 2022. Knoxville proper is 200,000+ with 800,000 metro, much of which is rural territory turned higher density suburbs.
Yep, I agree, and if this test run here goes good, I'd be willing to bet its gonna be expanded out around the country...
 
Yep, I agree, and if this test run here goes good, I'd be willing to bet its gonna be expanded out around the country...
Amazon has used this as basis for dedicated delivery everywhere throughout the country. On the high density West Coast areas, the Post Office started delivering Amazon for the first several years. They did their survey, acquired a warehouse, and began delivery themselves. For the past five years, they've been doing their own delivery BUT each office still gets Amazon overflow every day, typically about 50 parcels each route. Since they can't use mailboxes we get most of the small chunks, plus overflows their system can't integrate into their dedicated delivery routes. As population expands significantly in a specific area they also expand. For areas that remain rural, they can't make money delivering with their own fleet (costs more than the post office in those instances) so they will continue to rely on us to make deliveries.
 
I think as a mail carrier that got royally screwed over by analzon, and the po, this is my favorite comment of the day. 🤠
The issue has always been that if we are morphing to more of a parcel delivery company, then if we are compensated adequately to deliver parcels, then we'd have little recourse or complaint. When our competitors are at scales 20-40% above us, that's an issue. Government workers aren't typically paid parity to private sector workers, but this gap is too wide. As we stand, little we can do about it.
 
Well Maybe this is a way to adjust our loads. I had Amazon drlivering in my developments for the past few days. It has been wonderful. I hope it keeps up. I have had reasonable amounts of volume that still get me through the day but it allows for less stress, more breaks, and lunch. Loving it.
I have no idea what the volumes mean to future eval but I am enjoying the break from the push.
 
Really just seems like reactionary pearl clutching.

Amazon can't manage all the volume in the areas they already operate, still pushing volume out to USPS and UPS.

And as of this morning, UPS announced that it's winding down its Amazon contract, committing to at least a 50% reduction by next year.
 
Really just seems like reactionary pearl clutching.

Amazon can't manage all the volume in the areas they already operate, still pushing volume out to USPS and UPS.

And as of this morning, UPS announced that it's winding down its Amazon contract, committing to at least a 50% reduction by next year.
Which means more Amazon cannot handle which will mean they will have to divert more to the USPS. That should make up for the drop in UPS I have seen. I hope.
 
Really just seems like reactionary pearl clutching.

Amazon can't manage all the volume in the areas they already operate, still pushing volume out to USPS and UPS.

And as of this morning, UPS announced that it's winding down its Amazon contract, committing to at least a 50% reduction by next year.
My senior exec UPS contact indicates that UPS planned this reduction for the past two years, and that the post office will assume more overflow from Amazon.
 
Well Maybe this is a way to adjust our loads. I had Amazon drlivering in my developments for the past few days. It has been wonderful. I hope it keeps up. I have had reasonable amounts of volume that still get me through the day but it allows for less stress, more breaks, and lunch. Loving it.
I have no idea what the volumes mean to future eval but I am enjoying the break from the push.
Amazon has resources just like the post office. When their loads exceed their capacity, they offload the excess to us.
 
Really just seems like reactionary pearl clutching.

Amazon can't manage all the volume in the areas they already operate, still pushing volume out to USPS and UPS.

And as of this morning, UPS announced that it's winding down its Amazon contract, committing to at least a 50% reduction by next year.
Ups here doesn’t do much of Amazon load for our area, will be a wash roughly if we never get surepost back.
 
Amazon has resources just like the post office. When their loads exceed their capacity, they offload the excess to us.
That is the one thing I don't like about the evaluated system. Getting dumped on in one day and then scrambling to get it done in one day all on my own. I am so over that component. I wish there were daily safeguards against overworking. I understand why it's set up the way it is. The unpredictable work hours suck. The individual responsibility to muddle through without assistance sucks.
They will not load level. City gets to have aux daily for the excess. We do get paid more than city, but goodness it's hard. I always question if the money is worth the toil.
 
Back
Top