• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

DAMN carousal cases....lol

NHPilot

Just started my new PTF position in a new office...and I KNEW the cases would be carousal...and of course they are.

Wonder how far I will get on my first pull down before I realize I messed up....lol.

I just don't understand the whole carousal system...doesn't make sense to me....

Let me hear the fors and againts!!!!

Some of the offices have carriers and some taught by carriers that carousel is the way to case. I personally found it easier to go from wing to wing. Especially while trying to learn the case. I have even trained this way. You may want to make a sign or big arrow to tape to the case. It is visual to prevent pulling down incorrectly.

I went from carousel in one office to by case in my office now. Didnt take long. The thing that shouldn’t be allowed, ( and as far as I know at one point was written somewhere ), labels on top of slots is a no-no. Taping the top row of labels above each row was striclty forbidden where I was. One carrier in the bunch did it, and it was a disaster for every loaned out rca that came to visit. The slots on the shelving is for a reason.

Carousel was designed by an "efficiency" expert for the city side. What they failed to understand, because they didn't take carrier imput into account, was casing is faster on drop down cases. Especially if sharing space with multiple carriers on a down rt...but I'm sure I'm wrong. I just deliver the mail and use the cases. I probably have no clue what I'm taking about.

Last edited:
25-30 years ago the cases in office were all switched to carousel. a few years after i became regular, maybe 10 years ago, i switched back, thinking it was faster to case dps, if you weren't turning so much. (and maybe less wear on the body) . now, everyone has switched back. and though i only case dps when i'm waiting for parcels, i think i't easier to learn a case, when the beginning off the route is on one side, and the end of the route in on the other.

Above the slot lables should be forbidden because it is faster and more accurate to case where you set the corner tip of the mail on the address before sliding it in. Instead of guessing if you are lined up with the right slot with the above lable. Stacked or carousel is fine either way, but an office should be the same for all routes in it to avoid sub confusion on their different routes.

Spent my first day in new office very cautiously casing the new system as a non carousel case, ( NO DPS at the time ), only to accidentally pull the first two bottom rows as a carousel. ???. That’s a mistake you only make once.

What's even more confusing is being trained when first staring as an RCA on a carousel that went front top to bottom and working on cases like this for months only to go to another PO to help out that had carousels that went for bottom to top! Wow talk about total confusion!

Shafted et al -- "[ Case labels ] Should be universal, and enforced. "

-- Time to amend the PO-603's Section 213.32 -- One-Bundle Labeling System allows for two options:

-- a. Start at left corner of lowest shelf and end up at the right corner of the top shelf. Place labels BELOW separations on the carrier case, or

-- b. Start at the upper left corner of the top shelf and end at the lower right corner of the bottom shelf. Place labels ABOVE separations on the carrier case.

-- Guess my last post office was in violation of the PO-603 as our labels started at the upper left corner of the top shelf ( going around the top shelf of each case unit until having to go to the second shelf, etc ), ending at the lower right corner of the bottom shelf. But labels were place under the separations. At least all the rural cases were done that way )

-- Previous posters had mention each case unit started at the top left and ended at the bottom right ( or vice-versa ). Same for the adjoining case units.

-- What ever works....

Shafted et al -- "[ Case labels ] Should be universal, and enforced. "

-- Time to amend the PO-603's Section 213.32 -- One-Bundle Labeling System allows for two options:

-- a. Start at left corner of lowest shelf and end up at the right corner of the top shelf. Place labels BELOW separations on the carrier case, or

-- b. Start at the upper left corner of the top shelf and end at the lower right corner of the bottom shelf. Place labels ABOVE separations on the carrier case.

-- Guess my last post office was in violation of the PO-603 as our labels started at the upper left corner of the top shelf ( going around the top shelf of each case unit until having to go to the second shelf, etc ), ending at the lower right corner of the bottom shelf. But labels were place under the separations. At least all the rural cases were done that way )

-- Previous posters had mention each case unit started at the top left and ended at the bottom right ( or vice-versa ). Same for the adjoining case units.

-- What ever works....
As for universal, as long as there is a regular assigned to the route, manglement isn't supposed to be allowed to require a change in a previously approved casing method.

No Carousal with vertical flat case for me. Why play human corkscrew while casing or pulling down? RCA'S have commented my case is the easiest to work. All other routes are Carousal and vertical flat cases.

A better question is why don't we all have vertical flat cases?

I trained as an RCA on Carrousel-case under. The “case-under” always messed me up because I’m Vertically-Challenged. I never liked Page method regardless of under or above. My own case is set up Carrousel-case above. Our cases in our office are randomly set-up. You never know what you’re working on.

DB... My first case as an RCA coverage, was laid out with individual squares the size of a POB hole. The labels were the 1970's dial and squeeze label maker. This was the late 90's. Worked it for almost a year before Vertical Flat cases came to this office.

Back