• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

How many routes do i have to do?

rcalife

I'm curious if I can be forced to do all of the routes in our office. There are routes that I absolutely do not want to do. The regular on a specific route has skipped counts for their own benefit. I feel as though I should not have to do this route. It gets an extreme amount of parcels and the pay is far from correct! I know at least 10 routes and do most of them without argument. However this one is far from "fair" to an rca. Can they really force me to do all routes? Or can I be firm about only doing routes on my matrix choices?

Sorry, but there is no “maximum” nor minimum amount of routes an RCA can be assigned to work. There is an Order of Consideration that must be followed and once the Matrix Subs for a route are exhausted, Mgmt may assign any RCA by Seniority as long as they are not already scheduled for or have worked 40 hours.

I have this same problem coming up. Guy in front of me quit, I'm now next to go reg. This huge route now has no sub and no one else has done it. I know theyre going to ask me, I cannot decline? We have newish subs that could learn it, instead they trained them on the routes I do, smh

rcalife -- "I'm curious if I can be forced to do all of the routes in our office. "

-- Going to be touchy on this subject, I feel.

-- The more routes you know the better the chance of being utilized.

-- Also depends on how "fair" manglement wants to be. To be "fair" everyone should be trained on every route ( wink, wink ) but that does not really happen. Such as in your case, some routes RCA's would prefer to avoid at all costs just for the reasons you stated.

-- Another view is that RCA's should be equally trained. That could be up for debate as in: every RCA is trained on 5 routes ( could be 5 different routes in an office with 50 routes ).

-- If you are comfortable on 10 routes in the office, manglement probably considers you the "go-to" RCA to get the job done, even on "unpleasant" routes.

-- You could toss Step 4 ( T-9.700 ) at manglement to make your case - in part:

- Management is not required to train and utilize a replacement employee on more than one route.
- Management cannot require a replacement employee to be trained and utilized on more than three regular routes.
- Management must train the replacement employee who has been trained on less that three routes before training and utilizing a replacement employee on more than three routes.

-- The proverbial fly in the ointment is: what is the definition of "replacement employee"?

-- The NRCLA has rural carrier associates, replacement employees, rural carrier substitutes, rural replacement carriers, relief carriers, leave replacement rural carrier craft employees, etc and most used interchangeably. Arbitrator Clarke sort of helped by ending the hiring of Temporary Relief Carriers ( TRC's ) with his 2010-2015 award.

-- If that is not confusing enough, turn to the Matrix Quick Reference Checklist ( should be available in RI's KNOWLEDGEBASE Section )

#8 -- Management is NOT to train relief carriers on more than 3 routes until all relief carriers are trained on three routes.

#9 -- Once ALL relief carriers are trained on three routes, management can choose to train relief carriers on additional routes regardless of seniority.

" Or can I be firm about only doing routes on my matrix choices?"

-- You could be limiting your pay check by just doing your matrix choices.

-- Probably should not get on manglement's bad side ( JMHO ).

-- Good luck.

You can say no...unless you're the very last.

You can also: if you work 5-6 days, then pace yourself. No point in meeting evaluation when you get actual time over 40. If you're at 30 actual hours, take 12 to do this route. Make it cost the PM to have them work you on this route.

I played these games as an RCA.

Back