• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Paid 10 minute breaks

RDruckus

Why don't we all get two paid ten minute breaks like other crafts?

It seems subs are being abused with 60+ hour weeks, most in my office work more hours than I do on
my 46k. We get 5 minutes personal time built in to our evaluations, and a total of thirty minutes we can take (or not)
in increments of our choice.
Doesn't seem to amount to much in a 10 hour day.

POOM was pretty grumpy in our district when they discovered many RCAs weren’t taking any breaks at all... I think it came to attention due to our scanners. Having a short paid break would really help those issues.

From OSHA...An eight-hour workday is standard for most workers, with time given for lunch and one or two short rest breaks. Workers putting in a 12-hour shift reasonably expect a meal time and additional breaks. However, the regulations of the Occupational Safety and Health Administration do not require employers to give rest breaks or meal breaks to employees, no matter how many hours they work. The only comment OSHA makes about work breaks is that short rest breaks of between 5 to 20 minutes must be paid time for the employee. Any laws requiring employee breaks are mandated by state governments.

RDruckus et al -- "Why don't we all get two paid ten minute breaks like other crafts?"

-- Better union negotiating teams?

-- After all, the other crafts had Bereavement Leave in their contract for years prior to the NRLCA getting it for the 2015-2018 contract.

-- Rural do get a 30-minute lunch time ( unpaid ) daily.

-- The USPS just hates to pay for work hours not worked ( when rural's get done under evaluation and can go home ). So the USPS really must hate it having to pay for two 10-minute ( unproductive ) breaks with no work being done!

Why don't we all get two paid ten minute breaks like other crafts?

It seems subs are being abused with 60+ hour weeks, most in my office work more hours than I do on
my 46k. We get 5 minutes personal time built in to our evaluations, and a total of thirty minutes we can take (or not)
in increments of our choice.
Doesn't seem to amount to much in a 10 hour day.
Be happy you are still getting your 5 minutes personal time. Word is that will be disappearing with implementation of RRECs.

Back