• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

RCA Question??

Ok so I transferred offices due to a route going vacant and there were no eligible subs available to bid..and my first day to work at the new office was 03/30. Well I’ve been running the route that was “suppose” to go vacant everyday like a reg would since I started at the new office. The PM told me that I was listed as a sub on this other route because that was the only rt available to put me on. About a month later I was listed on the 4240 as the relief sub (not sure exactly how it’s worded). So my question is..after 90 days I’m suppose to start accruing leave time..would the 90 days start when I started running the route on March 30th or after he listed me on the 4240 as the relief?

Also, the route hasn’t been posted yet due to a grievance being filed, which is now at step 2 last I heard (could be at step 3 now). And about that...the carrier has been out for 2 years due to having 2 major surgeries. She was served her termination paper and had 14 days to file a grievance which she didn’t til after the 14 days (which I don’t understand how that’s even possible). So, my other question is..how long can I expect this all to play out? It’s been goin on 3 months now. Because before long..another sub that’s in the office that currently isn’t eligible because she’s still in probationary period will no longer be and she has seniority over me.

I filed a certain grievance over a year ago. It sits at step 4. I have a friend carrier terminated for not curbing wheels a year ago, at step 4.

My guess? Prepare to wait at least a year and more.

Do all you can to convince the other carrier(s) to make you a ptf. That way you can start your steps.

I filed a certain grievance over a year ago. It sits at step 4. I have a friend carrier terminated for not curbing wheels a year ago, at step 4.

My guess? Prepare to wait at least a year and more.

Do all you can to convince the other carrier(s) to make you a ptf. That way you can start your steps.
How do I get the other carriers to make me Ptf? Also, one of the carriers did say she wonders if there’s anything they can do to help this grievance move along...is there?

Yes, your leave will be retroactive to the March 30 date. Your designation code needs to be changed from 78 (RCA) to 74 (RCA in leave earning capacity) as soon as possible. Your supervisor needs to initiate the designation code change.

Regarding the other sub who is still in the probationary period--I searched the contract for precise language on this, but didn't find any, but I'm almost certain she cannot be senior to you. If I understand your post, you transferred to the new office because there were no RCAs eligible to bid on routes, that is, no one had completed a year of service. You became the senior RCA in the office when you transferred and the other RCAs will be junior to you as they complete their probation. If I'm wrong about this, the smart folks on this board will correct me, and I'll edit this post.
seniority starts over when you transfer.. you can bid already, you have your year in.. but new sub cannot bid for one year..

if the route goes up for bid before the other sub has a year in, you have a shot if not, they have seniority, as 3/30 becomes your date for seniority purposes. the exception would be if your transfer was not voluntary.
Ok I was told that she would have seniority if the the route goes up after her year. Didn’t know about the voluntary thing, but it doesn’t apply to me anyway. Thank u

lovehawkins2003 -- "So how do I get the other carriers or PM to make me PTF?"

-- Easy. Have someone of your choice wave a magic wand in your direction, say a few magical intonations, and poof - you are a PTF.

-- In the real world, there are a few hoops that someone ( manglement ) has to jump through.

- One would be Step 4 ( R-95 ) which has a section entitled "Creating a PTF Position"

- The contract's Article 30.2.A.3. The establishment of a part-time flexible rural carrier assignment is at the discretion of the Employer. ( usually at the District level ) However, management is required to establish such an assignment when hiring efforts have been successful following the regular carrier's request, provided the part-time flexible rural carrier will be assigned two ( 2 ) K routes.

-- Bottom line:

- Office must have at least two K routes with out a sub.
- Two K route regulars without sub must have submitted a 120-Day notice to get a sub.
- Manglement must have failed to obtain RCA's for the two K routes by the end of the 120-Day notice.

-- Also something to consider -- a PTF can not refuse conversion to regular status when a route opens up. ( a number of RCA's have posted they will not bid on a regular route -- could not afford the drop in pay!

-- The PTF assignment is posted for 10 days / awarded within 10 days / successful bidder will be placed in the assignment within 21 days.

lovehawkins2003 -- "So how do I get the other carriers or PM to make me PTF?"

-- Easy. Have someone of your choice wave a magic wand in your direction, say a few magical intonations, and poof - you are a PTF.

-- In the real world, there are a few hoops that someone ( manglement ) has to jump through.

- One would be Step 4 ( R-95 ) which has a section entitled "Creating a PTF Position"

- The contract's Article 30.2.A.3. The establishment of a part-time flexible rural carrier assignment is at the discretion of the Employer. ( usually at the District level ) However, management is required to establish such an assignment when hiring efforts have been successful following the regular carrier's request, provided the part-time flexible rural carrier will be assigned two ( 2 ) K routes.

-- Bottom line:

- Office must have at least two K routes with out a sub.
- Two K route regulars without sub must have submitted a 120-Day notice to get a sub.
- Manglement must have failed to obtain RCA's for the two K routes by the end of the 120-Day notice.

-- Also something to consider -- a PTF can not refuse conversion to regular status when a route opens up. ( a number of RCA's have posted they will not bid on a regular route -- could not afford the drop in pay!

-- The PTF assignment is posted for 10 days / awarded within 10 days / successful bidder will be placed in the assignment within 21 days.
There are currently 2 K routes without subs, but what if one of those routes is currently without a regular (the route I deliver every day) and therefore can’t submit a 120 day notice to receive a sub due to the current grievance?

lovehawkins2003 -- "There are currently 2 K routes without subs, but what if one of those routes is currently without a regular (the route I deliver every day) and therefore can’t submit a 120 day notice to receive a sub due to the current grievance? "

-- No regular on a route without a sub -- that tends to create a vacuum!

-- What is the "current" grievance about? Who submitted it?

-- Any chance the previous regular did submit a 120-Day notice and manglement "forgot" it?

-- How long has the route been without a regular?

-- Why no regular carrier? Injured? Sick? Retired, but still on the books while burning up annual and or sick leave?

-- If vacant, why hasn't the route been put up for bids?

-- Route being considered for conversion, adjustment, or consolidation?

-- Is the Assistant District Representative aware?

Back