• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

RRECS Flat Time

C$$

Trundling along in our tour of the 4241-M Comparison from the study results, our next stop is flat time.

Carrier Route Flats - Prebundled and sequenced flats. 10 or more in a bundle

WSS - Walking Sequence Saturation - Addressed and sequenced for every box on the route.

I use FSS interchangeably with DPS flats. As far as I know, they are the same thing.

In general: lose on casing raw flats. RHD drive GOV vehicles lose on FSS route time. However, as I understand it, POV routes will be allowed to case FSS and could gain a little time.

I'm guessing a A POV carrier will be able to choose to case FSS and have Two Bundle box time, or take the FSS raw and have Three Bundle box time. For the longest route time: If you have roughly 1.5 as many boxes as FSS flats, take it raw. Otherwise case the FSS.

There is a "Verify flat address" time in RRECS, but this is included under Box time, so I don't include it here.

Here is the program. Change the numbers and "false" to "true" as fits your route and click the Run button at the top.

An example:
Code:
const RAW_FLATS = 150
const CARRIER_ROUTE_FLATS = 0
const WSS_FLATS = 0
const DPS_FLATS = 0

const GOV_VEHICLE = false
const CASE_DPS_FLATS = false

Your previous flat time was 90.00 minutes per week
Your new flat time is 77.58 minutes per week
You will lose 12.42 minutes per week

--EDIT-- updated my definition of carrier route flats

Last edited:
I'm assuming the WSS is Red Plum and the dozen or so full coverage flat mailings we get a month? It looks like those are going to be 13.5 ppm (check my math).
I don't see many things I won't lose time on with the exception of driving time. We might be looking at lots of route consolidations if this is really as grim as it looks.

On the bright side, maybe they'll offer an early out.

I don't have Red Plum in my area. Are they addressed and sequenced? If so, your math is good: 13.5 ppm.

If not addressed, then I think they count as boxholders (that's a future section. Sneak peak: boxholder flats 15.5 ppm).

And if addressed but not sequenced, then I think they count as random flats: 11.6 ppm

I know things are looking pretty grim, but there are still lots of sections to go. We may yet find some hidden time nuggets.

WSS = 90% coverage or greater and in order.

If you have a red plum/advo that's addressed look at the top right corner near the address. You should see WSS in the top line.Screenshot_2019-07-28-14-52-01.png

Preset flats would normally be just flats. DPS Flats and FSS are the same thing.

So now Advo type mailings will be less time than regular presort flats. Currently the time standard is the same.

Trundling along in our tour of the 4241-M Comparison from the study results, our next stop is flat time.

Carrier Route Flats - This means either 200 pieces or 50 lbs of bundled, addressed, sequenced flats. There is a local newspaper on my route that would probably qualify as a carrier route flat.

WSS - Walking Sequence Saturation - Addressed and sequenced for every box on the route.

I use FSS interchangeably with DPS flats. As far as I know, they are the same thing.

In general: lose on casing raw flats. RHD drive GOV vehicles lose on FSS route time. However, as I understand it, POV routes will be allowed to case FSS and could gain a little time.

I'm guessing a A POV carrier will be able to choose to case FSS and have Two Bundle box time, or take the FSS raw and have Three Bundle box time. For the longest route time: If you have roughly 1.5 as many boxes as FSS flats, take it raw. Otherwise case the FSS.

There is a "Verify flat address" time in RRECS, but this is included under Box time, so I don't include it here.

Here is the program. Change the numbers and "false" to "true" as fits your route and click the Run button at the top.

An example:
Code:
const RAW_FLATS = 150
const CARRIER_ROUTE_FLATS = 0
const WSS_FLATS = 0
const DPS_FLATS = 0

const GOV_VEHICLE = false
const CASE_DPS_FLATS = false

Your previous flat time was 90.00 minutes per week
Your new flat time is 77.58 minutes per week
You will lose 12.42 minutes per week
The assumption I made was raw flat= tubs from plant or pitched from clerks
Carrier route flats= bundled presort ( which is a 26% loss)

I don't have Red Plum in my area. Are they addressed and sequenced? If so, your math is good: 13.5 ppm.

If not addressed, then I think they count as boxholders (that's a future section. Sneak peak: boxholder flats 15.5 ppm).

And if addressed but not sequenced, then I think they count as random flats: 11.6 ppm

I know things are looking pretty grim, but there are still lots of sections to go. We may yet find some hidden time nuggets.
Our red plums became retail me not...and they alternate being addressed every other week...
So addressed= flat
Resident= boxholder
At least in my office..Philly district

The assumption I made was raw flat= tubs from plant or pitched from clerks
Carrier route flats= bundled presort ( which is a 26% loss)

I think you are right. The definition of carrier route flats I was looking at is here, but I didn't read far enough (emphasis mine):

Mailings of 200 or more addressed pieces (or 50 pounds of addressed pieces), sorted and marked as described below. Pieces must be part of a group of 10 or more to one carrier route, prepared in line-of-travel or walk-sequence order, as required.

That's even more bad news... :(

I appreciate your serious look at this. I've kind of been amazed at how many people are upset that the implementation of this is taking so long. Sure they are seeing increases for parcels and that is the area that has been devastating us but if we are losing significantly in every other area I don't see it as anything but a loss. And for all those areas that are losing Amazon they could really see significant declines in evaluations.

I appreciate your serious look at this. I've kind of been amazed at how many people are upset that the implementation of this is taking so long. Sure they are seeing increases for parcels and that is the area that has been devastating us but if we are losing significantly in every other area I don't see it as anything but a loss. And for all those areas that are losing Amazon they could really see significant declines in evaluations.
USPS is the pro when it comes to head fakes, and the ole bait and switch.... look over here, you're getting extra time for parcels (as they're getting rid of Amazon), all the while robbing us blind everywhere else... ?

USPS is the pro when it comes to head fakes, and the ole bait and switch.... look over here, you're getting extra time for parcels (as they're getting rid of Amazon), all the while robbing us blind everywhere else... ?

What amazes me DB is that usps can be so smart and cunning when screwing us and so flat out friggin stupid in trying to run operations...I guess the 5 smart people at usps are not in operations..

Let's just look at one aspect of the grim outlook.

Just the change in the box factor...

I have 550 boxes on my L route. The 36 second loss per box is a 3 hour 18 minute loss. If I were a non L, it would be a 7 hour 20 minute loss.

We are f***ed.
I forget...what is L
And what is non-L?something about 12 boxes per mile?
You may well be able to recoup those 36 seconds in dismount distance, or somewhere else...js

What amazes me DB is that usps can be so smart and cunning when screwing us and so flat out friggin stupid in trying to run operations...I guess the 5 smart people at usps are not in operations..
It's because they spend all of their time and effort and expertise trying to spy on and screw over carriers... rather than trying to figure out how to improve delivery and become profitable... we see it with the scammers all the time... they're generating sitting still reports, backing reports, left hand turn reports, etc., etc... but the lookahead and anything that might actually help get the mail delivered suck @$$... they only care about screwing over the work force, and that's why they are failing.... if they'd try uniting all employees as one cohesive team, then they could be effective, but that's not the USPS way... their approach is to divide and conquer, and they're effective that... sadly tho, it's an overall losing strategy... :unsure:

I don’t believe you will have the option to get credit for casing FSS flats. If you have a POV route and you receive FSS then you will get credit for that based on your weekly avg from your EOR Report. If you have an LLV route you will not get that credit. The same for reload time. It will be based on the weekly avg of FSS Flats taken from the EOR.

WSS = 90% coverage or greater and in order.

If you have a red plum/advo that's addressed look at the top right corner near the address. You should see WSS in the top line.View attachment 601

Preset flats would normally be just flats. DPS Flats and FSS are the same thing.

So now Advo type mailings will be less time than regular presort flats. Currently the time standard is the same.
Where did you find that Wss is 90%coverage?

Ah. RRECs is designed to be so confusing and forgettable that carriers resort to entering only 6 scans a day, the stop due to frustration.

Back