U caught my attention
Well-known member
Within reason to the sustainability of the service itself.the customers needs.
Within reason to the sustainability of the service itself.the customers needs.
There is supposed to be a competitive products fund created from revenues, amts received from obligations issued by postal service, interest and dividends earned on investments of the competitive product fund, any other recipts like the sale of assests if it is allocated to competitive products to pay for competitive products according to the PAEA. Kind of paraphrasedwhich is taxpayer money.
Just a thought though....today more customers are migrating toward faster delivery, rather than slower.In regards to competitive product, do our "delivery partners" run their volumes according to zip code with their drivers locked into an assigned route within that zip code?
Here's a wacky thought.
In regards to our monopoly product. I have several customers that use informed visibility to virtually peak in their mailbox. They go to the box when they know they want something. A couple older gentleman in a cbu condo complex make it a wed/sat chore to empty their boxes. Could 6 day delivery ever come to virtual delivery and a twice a week physical delivery (Depending on volume)?
It seem like they can change rules and service standards to fit the customers needs.
![]()
I was thinking more on the lines of the remote areas getting fewer days. Maybe turning those into contract routes or something (private carriage of letter mail)Six to five day delivery could be possible with mail, but parcels are the king today. We already do Sunday parcel delivery, so five day mail really isn't a whole lot of savings. Plus, it doubles the load the next day.
For most rural customers, mail isn't the key issue. The amount of mail they get delivered fewer days might be acceptable, but there's no private carrier or contract that could make this pay for the post office. Furthermore, to repeat, parcels are the key, and customers want parcels delivered close to the same time frames as other customers. There's no way to make parcel delivery pay for the post office and absolutely not for private companies. Our only option is subsidy.I was thinking more on the lines of the remote areas getting fewer days. Maybe turning those into contract routes or something (private carriage of letter mail)
If that would happen, then the universal delivery to every address wouldn't apply. Letters would still show up in informed, but a private carrier delivering a collected amount of monopoly product a few or a couple days per week instead of daily.
For most rural customers, mail isn't the key issue. The amount of mail they get delivered fewer days might be acceptable, but there's no private carrier or contract that could make this pay for the post office. Furthermore, to repeat, parcels are the key, and customers want parcels delivered close to the same time frames as other customers. There's no way to make parcel delivery pay for the post office and absolutely not for private companies. Our only option is subsidy.
Our prices are regulated, and set so that UPS and other competitors can make money delivering to high density areas and by dropping pallets and bags at our docks in rural areas. The PRC ensures that this status is quo, and if it changes they react, albeit more slowly than we'd like.“Our only option is subsidy” Are these the words the Congress did not want to hear? Did Dejoy have a point?
My personal issue with subsidy is that, I think it likely the wrong people will be collecting that subsidy. I think it probable that professionals will be willing to supply this service for the subsidy until the competition is gone. Then the price will go up, take it or leave it.
If actually support 5 mail day delivery going forward. I know the union is looking at hours but, I think a lot of places could function as seasonal delivery.I am an independent who leans toward less taxation and more independent freedom. However, with the post office, if universal service is mandated, then tax dollars have to pay for part of the cost. That does NOT mean we don't do our best to be financially efficient, make the most of what we have. But the end game requires federal subsidy to make universal service happen.
Five day would likely be acceptable to over half the country that's very rural. I'd negotiate as part of that plan that "last mile" deliveries dropped by our competitors had a several day window so parcel delivery could be spread over two days instead of mass impact of one. The key of universal service is that customers can get essentials within a reasonable time at affordable costs. Sacrificing a day or two delay might find them, and their Congressperson, accepting of this type of compromise.If actually support 5 mail day delivery going forward. I know the union is looking at hours but, I think a lot of places could function as seasonal delivery.
It's not as common now but, old routes has 3 days delivery in many places. My place on the west coast barely gets delivered. Since they changed it to a cbu to cut carrier time, it's constantly broken. If you want mail you have to stand in line 45 weeks a year. I have most of my stuff delivered to PO boxes or one of the business offices. The east coast is great because the door guy takes charge of anything. Even though they were one of the first in the country to get the electronic coded boxes years ago. Our head door guy is going on 60 and everyone in the building is scared he will retire. He's like a Radar O'Reilly savant...with a Wisconsin accent.
, I don't think Tahoe has delivery, yet. We always use a business p o box for houses. Less likely to be tossed by po then. It's amazing the stuff they toss at the one house. It's not returned, it just disappears. You can see the stuff IFive day would likely be acceptable to over half the country that's very rural. I'd negotiate as part of that plan that "last mile" deliveries dropped by our competitors had a several day window so parcel delivery could be spread over two days instead of mass impact of one. The key of universal service is that customers can get essentials within a reasonable time at affordable costs. Sacrificing a day or two delay might find them, and their Congressperson, accepting of this type of compromise.
My Northern place has CBU but 2 rural offices of about 120 routes is so understaffed they only deliver every other or third day anyway, and with rural road signs sometimes the wrong road besides. Southern place is typical delivery. I manage everything through PO Box so one central location and fewer worries about theft and misdelivery. Mountain place is PO pickup rural delivery no route.
Long ago I lived in Tahoe for almost five years. I had a box at the post office, it was sparsely staffed and limited hours even back then. Some locals used the address, general delivery, for their government food stamps or welfare too. The only mail I ever got was utilities. No idea about other stuff, probably just tossed.Yeah
, I don't think Tahoe has delivery, yet. We always use a business p o box for houses. Less likely to be tossed by po then. It's amazing the stuff they toss at the one house. It's not returned, it just disappears. You can see the stuff I
On informed delivery, it just never arrives. But, that office is absolute low tier staff. They hate the customers and each other. It's not unusual to have police called to the lobby. Mostly due to staff being stupid.
Haven't really had big issues with the Miami office.
I have thought the same thingIn regards to competitive product, do our "delivery partners" run their volumes according to zip code with their drivers locked into an assigned route within that zip code?
Here's a wacky thought.
In regards to our monopoly product. I have several customers that use informed visibility to virtually peak in their mailbox. They go to the box when they know they want something. A couple older gentleman in a cbu condo complex make it a wed/sat chore to empty their boxes. Could 6 day delivery ever come to virtual delivery and a twice a week physical delivery (Depending on volume)?
It seem like they can change rules and service standards to fit the customers needs.
![]()
I anticipated the same!I expect the typical instant thumbs down for this.