• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

This job just gets harder and harder to love

RCA_Randy

I hate being an rca. We are the red headed step children of the post office. Even though I run a 6 day a week aux route, I still get the shaft on holidays. Dont get paid and come back to twice as much work the next day. Lousy union. Looks like I have about another 6 years to become a regular. I'm not sure I can hold out that much longer. I'm already in year 10. Oh, and dont get me started on the package volume. Do these idiots not realize that Christmas is over. Thanks for letting me vent. Feel free to vent too.

Approx 16 yrs for f/t, and the job has changed drastically from when you started, the whole scenario you describe is not pleasant.

My sentence ending up being about 10-15 yrs before f/t, F/T around 10 years ago. The last three years or so for me have really sucked. The RCA's years were not that bad for the most part. I hope my sentence will be commuted at the most 3 more years.

I hate being an rca. We are the red headed step children of the post office. Even though I run a 6 day a week aux route, I still get the shaft on holidays. Dont get paid and come back to twice as much work the next day. Lousy union. Looks like I have about another 6 years to become a regular. I'm not sure I can hold out that much longer. I'm already in year 10. Oh, and dont get me started on the package volume. Do these idiots not realize that Christmas is over. Thanks for letting me vent. Feel free to vent too.
Any chance you could get OT to help console you during long hours? Maybe blow out your hours early in the week to force a day off to enjoy life? The job is tolerable most days when Amazon is less. There are no guarantees in life someone won't suddenly leave FT status. But, have you checked other offices for faster movement?
Have you checked local state employment to see if something better is available? At the end of the day, you need to pay bills and be happy. Don't do a job you hate more than like. You can change your circumstances or your attitude. Which is the best change for you??

I was an RCA for about 12 years and thought it really sucked for the most part.... somehow thought it'd get a lot better once I made Regular.... sorry to burst anybody's bubble out there, but it's just a different brand of hell, and in some ways worse than being an RCA.... and at least you and I were around long enuf to be in the higher pay Tables.... think of the suckers who are doing it for significantly less $$$ pay....

Have I cheered anyone up yet??? ?

I was at IN AND OUT drive in this morning. They had a sign up offering $16 and hour starting pay.

On the other hand when I read 2019 year in review, it told me how wonderful the NRLCA leadership thinks our Postmaster General is. I guess this means that we should be happy campers or their is something wrong with us.

I was an RCA for 10 months and just made the switch to PSE. I will make PTF sometime this year. The grass is greener over here and I actually see my family every single day! Did I mention I get annual leave!?!
PTF is a career position with benefits.... counts toward retirement, etc., etc...

RCA has the absolute slowest path to career of anybody in the USPS.... we're suckers for not switching to something better....

I saw something on TV around New Years Eve that said babysitters now average $16 and change an hour nowadays.... sheezy Louisy....

What a great discussion thread.... ?

PTF is a career position with benefits.... counts toward retirement, etc., etc...

RCA has the absolute slowest path to career of anybody in the USPS.... we're suckers for not switching to something better....

I saw something on TV around New Years Eve that said babysitters now average $16 and change an hour nowadays.... sheezy Louisy....

Really, literally begs for the question, "Would you let your sub babysit your child?"

Good point... I guess now we can add another job and/or employer that beats the USPS for wages and benefits... Wally's World, Mickey Dee's.... now babysitters....

USPS will get all of the dregs and bottom of the barrel that couldn't quite make it into all of these"better" jobs.... :oops:

Last edited:

When I was an RCA I got an offer for a City Carrier job. My manager said he could not release me. My steward said he had that right.

What disappoints me is that Rural Carriers seem to accept that we should be second class members of the Postal Service. We loan POV's to the Postal Service almost for free. We accept moving the month mail counts were in to a non-representative month = pay cut. We accept our casing standard being moved up = pay cut. We accept the Postal Service not supplying us with substitutes as agreed and most of us probably don't understand this to = pay cut.

We are the only craft that I know of that accepts its membership taking a pay cut.

Back