Ok... I’ve been an rca for almost six years now... I want some honest thoughts here. I’m in a small office so hours can sometimes be scarce...I’ve been able to manage despite this. Ive got two ahead of me and in the current situation... my best estimate short of special circumstances is probably another eight to ten years wait... probably can be on aux in 2-3 though.
I’ve reseached as much as I can about what my wages, benefits etc.... for when I do go reg. I am prepared to brave the table two wages and wait it out... however... my concern is with benefits. I am well aware of the hit they take out of the pay... how some of you (and probably me) will receive a smaller take home as a reg.
In my office we have two carriers beyond retirement age... they won’t go for whatever personal reasons. I’ve seen this in other offices as well locally. It’s fine by me if they like the job, or maybe didn’t prepare as well as they shoulda. My main concern is if there is something wrong with the retirement situation.... between FERS at 4.4% (probably more soon enough) and a 5% tsp, it’s a lot to trust the po with.... sure I’ve got more control over tsp... but, realistically.... if there’s a problem now... it’ll be worse by the time I’m able to go....
Does anyone have any good experience or information with this?
Thing is... the advantages of going career at all pretty well dissolves if the benefits get mucked with.... especially with the looming larger issues the PO has.
The opportunity cost of sticking it out is tremendous.... at the moment, I just don’t know where else to go.... (not to many employers are looking for ambidextrous drivers...lol). I feel trapped.... thought about applying as a pse or cca if one comes up, but am concerned, because the attitude among PMs around here seems to be if there’s a capable rca around... why switch them?
I do enjoy being a rural carrier... in terms of what the job is, it might be the best I’ve had. As for the situation.... it’s probably the worst. I feel I really need some guidance...
Serious responses only please... not looking for the ‘run while you can’ thing.....
I’ve reseached as much as I can about what my wages, benefits etc.... for when I do go reg. I am prepared to brave the table two wages and wait it out... however... my concern is with benefits. I am well aware of the hit they take out of the pay... how some of you (and probably me) will receive a smaller take home as a reg.
In my office we have two carriers beyond retirement age... they won’t go for whatever personal reasons. I’ve seen this in other offices as well locally. It’s fine by me if they like the job, or maybe didn’t prepare as well as they shoulda. My main concern is if there is something wrong with the retirement situation.... between FERS at 4.4% (probably more soon enough) and a 5% tsp, it’s a lot to trust the po with.... sure I’ve got more control over tsp... but, realistically.... if there’s a problem now... it’ll be worse by the time I’m able to go....
Does anyone have any good experience or information with this?
Thing is... the advantages of going career at all pretty well dissolves if the benefits get mucked with.... especially with the looming larger issues the PO has.
The opportunity cost of sticking it out is tremendous.... at the moment, I just don’t know where else to go.... (not to many employers are looking for ambidextrous drivers...lol). I feel trapped.... thought about applying as a pse or cca if one comes up, but am concerned, because the attitude among PMs around here seems to be if there’s a capable rca around... why switch them?
I do enjoy being a rural carrier... in terms of what the job is, it might be the best I’ve had. As for the situation.... it’s probably the worst. I feel I really need some guidance...
Serious responses only please... not looking for the ‘run while you can’ thing.....