• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Amazon Sunday Question

Lynnie789

Has anyone refused to work Amazon Sunday and lived to tell about it? (in other words is still employed?) Curious as suddenly I am being mandated to work. I signed the list NO. I have a copy of the union MOU. I've been told by my PM that I can't file leave slips (she stated that if I do she won't sign them.) I've contacted my union rep about the leave slips. No response.

This is a part time job for me because I am retired. I'm just not interested in working myself into the ground. I don't want to work 21 days in a row before I get a day off. With vacations and 2080 issues I am working 6 days a week for several weeks. Sunday is my only day off. I'm unwilling to give that up.

Any ideas? Or is my only choice to resign?

The only way to be off on a Sunday is to request Saturday or Monday off. Either of those days protects you from working Sunday.
If mgmt is denying Leave requests, file a grievance. You cannot just request Sunday off.
Even though you requested to be on the NO-list, you can still be mandated to work. All “Yes” RCAs work & then the “No” peeps. Mgmt MAY bypass anyone already working 40 hrs or more. Those on a “Hold-down” are last resort to all other Leave Replacements.
I have yet to see anyone reprimanded for calling in sick on a Sunday.

Lynnie789 -- "Has anyone refused to work Amazon Sunday and lived to tell about it? (in other words is still employed?) Curious as suddenly I am being mandated to work. I signed the list NO. I have a copy of the union MOU. I've been told by my PM that I can't file leave slips (she stated that if I do she won't sign them.) I've contacted my union rep about the leave slips. No response."

-- For starters, if not scheduled when you leave the office, do not answer the phone or respond to text messages.

-- Politely, or otherwise, ask for the PM's reference why you can not submit 3971's.

-- While the PS Form 3971 is often referred to as a "leave request", it's official nomenclature is: Request for or Notification of Absence.

-- Keep submitting them and, if need be, on your copy, write: "PM refused to accept it and or refused to sign request."

-- Draw the PM's notice to the wording on the 3971: "Signature of Supervisor and Date Notified."

- That is "notified", not what action was taken or not taken on the request.

-- Also on the 3971 is the wording: "Official Action on Application ( Return copy of signed request to employee )."

-- The PM's job is to manage and that includes accepting, approving or disapproving 3971's and returning the 3971's with explanation why the time off was denied within a "reasonable" amount of time. ( generally accepted as 3 to 5 days -- but nothing in stone on the length of time )

-- No doubt union reps are busy this time of year with grievances, among other things.

" This is a part time job for me because I am retired. I'm just not interested in working myself into the ground. I don't want to work 21 days in a row before I get a day off. "

-- You didn't mention when you began a second "career" with the USPS.

-- During the Academy training, were you aware of the ARC ( Assistant Rural Carrier ) position?

-- Short version: ARC's work Sunday and Holiday parcel delivery. May case and carry a route on Saturday - but only after every other warm body in the office has been utilized. ARC's may not work on Monday through Friday, except on holidays. Although seasonal MOU's do provide for ARC's "volunteering" to run parcels on non-holiday weekdays. That sounds like a better fit for you.

" Any ideas? Or is my only choice to resign? "

-- IF your body is telling you to get out -- listen to it!!

-- On the other hand, you and the USPS have put time, effort, and $$ in getting you from a person on the street to someone familiar with the workings of the rural delivery system. If you don't ask, you won't know -- so ask if you can "convert" from RCA to ARC!

-- If the PM is willing to work with you on this, great. After all, you are something of a valuable asset to the USPS ( whether or not they are willing to admit it )

-- If not, not so great, but there is the door!

-- If you kind of like the work and the money, try to hire on as an ARC at another post office.

-- In the meantime, if there are other post offices within a reasonable driving distance, ask if they could use an ARC as you may soon be available.

-- Apparently ARC's can not transfer to another post office. Anyone??

-- No idea if the USPS would be willing to "speed" up your ARC application because of your previous status as an RCA. Anyone?

Thank you for the advice. I'm not interested in being an ARC. Although I see where you're coming from with that suggestion. Basically I just want to sub on my rural routes and call it good. I'm not interested in traveling to the nearest city many miles away to deliver packages on Sundays or any other day for that matter.

Last edited:
The only way to be off on a Sunday is to request Saturday or Monday off. Either of those days protects you from working Sunday.
If mgmt is denying Leave requests, file a grievance. You cannot just request Sunday off.
Even though you requested to be on the NO-list, you can still be mandated to work. All “Yes” RCAs work & then the “No” peeps. Mgmt MAY bypass anyone already working 40 hrs or more. Those on a “Hold-down” are last resort to all other Leave Replacements.
I have yet to see anyone reprimanded for calling in sick on a Sunday.
I'm curious why I can't just request Sunday off?

Lynnie789 -- " I'm curious why I can't just request Sunday off?"

-- Actually you can request Sunday off. But manglement will deny it.

-- RCA's are the USPS's needed workforce to deal with Sunday parcels. So in manglement's eyes, you are needed for Sunday work.

"Basically I just want to sub on my rural routes and call it good."

-- Sorry to say, those days are over -- if they ever really existed.

I known many RCAs over the years who refuse to work on Sundays because they attend religious services. In my district, I know of many offices who don't send anyone because the RCAs don't want to do it and the PMs don't want to lose them. It really is up to your PM/supervisor--be honest with them. If working Sundays is a deal breaker for you, tell them. They might work with you, they might not.

And I'd file a grievance over that supervisor refusal to sign leave slips. They have to approve or deny leave requests, they can't ignore them. If she denies leave, file a grievance on that.

And because I haven't had the opportunity to vent about ARCs in a long time, allow me to say one more time, it is the supreme example of the NRLCA failing to negotiate effectively. ARCs were supposed to solve the problem of RCAs not wanting to work on Sundays, not working 63 days (or whatever) in a row, etc. The NRLCA agreed to create this whole new position for the USPS to hire when since FOREVER the USPS has been unable to hire RCAs. Some magic I guess was supposed to occur and ARCs would appear with a snap of the fingers apparently. Instead of bargaining for premium time on Sundays (which ALL THE OTHER CRAFTS GET!), which would have had RCAs crawling all over each other to work Sundays, we remain so many years later unable to hire RCAs, unable to hire ARCs, and understaffed on Sundays and abusing the few RCAs who show up to work that day.

Last edited:
Wonder which idiot came up with the idea of ARC's ??? If the PO had any luck with hiring RCA's the ARC position would not have been necessary.
Yep. I’ve heard the logic behind it was that people who already had a job would be willing to take the ARC position (guaranteed, consistent schedule) when the would not take the RCA position, so, theoretically, there would be more applicants. But it was still dumb—non career no benefit positions in a difficult working environment???? Who would do that for one day of work a week?
They don’t even hire ARCs in my district any longer and have not for a long time.

I'm curious why I can't just request Sunday off?
I don’t know the reason behind it but it is listed as such on page 2 of the S-106 MOU for Sunday/Holiday Parcel Delivery Work List.

Just because a PM allows an RCA to refuse to work doesn’t make it right. If there are subs in an office that should be working their rotation & are not, a grievance can be filed by the RCA(s) being forced in due to the Scheduling Guidelines not being followed. If mgmt is following the Guidelines at all, then a Steward can File a Class Action. The Hub is the ”boss”, not the Spokes. The Spokes can send their schedule to the Hub for Sunday scheduling or the Hub makes the schedule & the Spoke notifies which of those Carriers are 40 hrs or have leave.
The only RCAs/PTFs that should be skipped are those that are Des. 74 or pre-74, those with leave adjacent to the Sunday (unless request to work), & Carriers bypassed due to scheduled 40 hr or more (mgmt choice).
Took a while to get my Hub straight on proper procedure. The Spokes were sending every sub except 74s & Aux while the Hub scheduled around them. Subs in the Hub were rarely needed to work from the No-list.

Yep. I’ve heard the logic behind it was that people who already had a job would be willing to take the ARC position (guaranteed, consistent schedule) when the would not take the RCA position, so, theoretically, there would be more applicants. But it was still dumb—non career no benefit positions in a difficult working environment???? Who would do that for one day of work a week?
They don’t even hire ARCs in my district any longer and have not for a long time.
When I was in College & later in the “Office World”, I’d have taken it in a heartbeat! I needed a job in both times that wouldn’t interfere with my studies when in school & later my 8-5 job. Other side jobs worked me more than I wanted to with no days off at all. As an ARC, I would still have had Saturday to rest or play & would still make some extra $$$ on Sundays & Holidays.

I don't want to sound flippant, but the only way to find out, might be to try it.

I'm still pissed that the PO agreed to run their bosses Amazon on the 4th, and that the general reaction from everybody but those who have to come in, is a big shrug. No one wants to step up to bat for subs - not at the local level, not at the upper level.

If Louie wants to win some points, he can start by getting us at least time and a half for major holidays.

The ARC idea was a good one.

At least for the 2 platypus that Noah let make the boat ride. Otherwise, they and their species were doomed.

I voted against it, but in essence it wasn't to bad an idea, because management couldn't work them any other days than Sundays & Holidays. I can see the ARC position being a right income opportunity for some, like a retired person that can only make so much in a year, or a person with children that will have a spouse available to watch the kids on those days allowing them to get out of the house or students looking for a little cash on days it will have minimal disruption to their studies.

Last edited:
Has anyone refused to work Amazon Sunday and lived to tell about it? (in other words is still employed?) Curious as suddenly I am being mandated to work. I signed the list NO. I have a copy of the union MOU. I've been told by my PM that I can't file leave slips (she stated that if I do she won't sign them.) I've contacted my union rep about the leave slips. No response.

This is a part time job for me because I am retired. I'm just not interested in working myself into the ground. I don't want to work 21 days in a row before I get a day off. With vacations and 2080 issues I am working 6 days a week for several weeks. Sunday is my only day off. I'm unwilling to give that up.

Any ideas? Or is my only choice to resign?

Back years ago when I was an RCA and this whole Amazon - Hub and Spoke thing started, I was able to refuse and got away with it. I was subbing myself out all over the place and didn't need it. But the reason I was able to get away with it was that it was new and not part of what I agreed to when I was hired (not a job requirement or expectation) and others felt the same way also. Some of the others said that if they were forced to work they would quit, so I jumped on that band wagon. This worked for just over a year until they started forcing RCA's to work resulting in several quitting and me staying, working several 6 and 7 day weeks.

Thanks for all your input. I appreciate it. I currently have a Plan A and a Plan B. If neither one is successful, then I'll resort to Plan C.

I am in the process now of transferring to a non-Amazon office. However, as my current PM pointed out, this doesn't get me out of the Amazon Sunday dilemma.

I have worked Amazon Sundays in my home office for a few years during the holidays. I worked alone as there was no other RCA. I delivered all those packages by myself in all kinds of weather, including an ice storm. I also worked on the funeral day, by myself, delivering packages all day and half the evening. I worked more than 21 days in a row, following the PM's orders. I've been there and done that....and I don't want to go there again.

My health is fine. I have no wish to make this a second career or to work full time as a regular carrier.

Once again, thank you for all the information. I learned a lot.

Thanks for all your input. I appreciate it. I currently have a Plan A and a Plan B. If neither one is successful, then I'll resort to Plan C.

I am in the process now of transferring to a non-Amazon office. However, as my current PM pointed out, this doesn't get me out of the Amazon Sunday dilemma.

I have worked Amazon Sundays in my home office for a few years during the holidays. I worked alone as there was no other RCA. I delivered all those packages by myself in all kinds of weather, including an ice storm. I also worked on the funeral day, by myself, delivering packages all day and half the evening. I worked more than 21 days in a row, following the PM's orders. I've been there and done that....and I don't want to go there again.

My health is fine. I have no wish to make this a second career or to work full time as a regular carrier.

Once again, thank you for all the information. I learned a lot.
I have no wish to make this a second career or to work full time as a regular carrier.

Wish the USPS could comprehend this.

Youre in a crappy office. Ours, we have 2 retirees that only want to work 1 day a week (most often they get it), 1 guy who goes on religious missions for 6 months, and worst of all... Someone hasn't worked in 9 months, has a full time 6 day a week job, just saving his spot in case he wants to go reg. Never mind, our office is crappy too, just a different texture

Back