• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Answering the Phone as a Regular Question

The more I read on here, the more I realize , no two offices are the same, although the contract is written for all. I don’t think any two offices operates by the rules. One lets carriers hold on to their x days for ever, another,. only lets us use them on their terms . Annual days, sick days they are all the same . We’re at the mercy of their whims . Okay I am through ranting!!!!
And one of the many reasons that management doesn't respect/follow the contract is that many carriers are leading by example.

Sigh.

There is no maximum # of X-days but since mgmt is responsible for paying each X out after 12 weeks if not taken... 12. Guarantee Period to end of Christmas OT interrupts the 12 weeks but it resumes afterwards.
The pay system isn’t set up to Automatically pay out the X-day so most of mgmt doesn’t keep track. We Carriers have to remind them when the 12 weeks is up or remind them to allow us the day off.

You could always use "DACA R" in which case YOU get to choose the day off you want. Problem with that is, you get no additional pay for working your relief day; you're trading a day for a day........I find it ridiculous that some PM's feel the need to "regulate" your DACA 3 X-day, in which you did the PO a favor. Luckily I have never had to deal with this nonsense. I receive an x day every week, save them, and use them as vacation days throughout the year. No problems for my PM. I saved over 30 last year and took a month vaca to Europe in September, didn't use a single day of leave, and had 5 x days left. :cool: :cool:
I was under the assumption (I know, that makes an ass out of u and me (me mostly)) that daca r, u had to use them within 12 weeks....the last daca r I had, on week 11, my pm came to me and said “you need to use your x day this week or next week, or loose it” I asked “I was saving it for October 30th for my dr appointment, can we stretch it out just 1 more week??”he said “no, they’re good for 12 weeks, use it or loose it.”
How did u manage to save 30 for a months vacation? I only wanted an extra week to prolong my 1.... lol....

Edit, never mind, I read the posts after yours after I posted mine. My question was answered. Your one lucky dude I take it...... lol.

Last edited:
Postal-xam@58 -- "The more I read on here, the more I realize , no two offices are the same, although the contract is written for all. I don’t think any two offices operates by the rules. One lets carriers hold on to their x days for ever, another,. only lets us use them on their terms . Annual days, sick days they are all the same . We’re at the mercy of their whims . Okay I am through ranting!!!! "

-- That is not a "rant". It is a keen observation!

Rcflyn -- " my pm came to me and said “you need to use your x day this week or next week, or lose it” .

-- Did the PM provide a reference aside from "Because I said so."?

I was under the assumption (I know, that makes an ass out of u and me (me mostly)) that daca r, u had to use them within 12 weeks....the last daca r I had, on week 11, my pm came to me and said “you need to use your x day this week or next week, or loose it” I asked “I was saving it for October 30th for my dr appointment, can we stretch it out just 1 more week??”he said “no, they’re good for 12 weeks, use it or loose it.”
How did u manage to save 30 for a months vacation? I only wanted an extra week to prolong my 1.... lol....

Edit, never mind, I read the posts after yours after I posted mine. My question was answered. Your one lucky dude I take it...... lol.

If you ever work for an “R”, fill out the leave slip & have mgmt sign it as approved ASAP. Waiting until after you’ve worked gives mgmt the upper hand as to your choice. R is a MUTUALLY AGREED upon day off, not just a Carrier’s choice. “3” gives mgmt the sole choosing right.
Either way, an X is supposed to be used within 12 weeks. Mgmt doesn’t like to bother with paying them out because it takes extra time & paperwork to do that. It’s easier to try to force it’s use in the same Pay Period than to have District pitch a fit about unused “Xs” (happened here last year).

Curry, this is my advice to all new regulars.
Delete/ block the PO numbers and all supervisors. I do not actually block, I let all their calls go to voicemail and then choose if I want to call back after listening to message.
If no message, I assume butt dial and ignore.
I treat texts the same, i ignore and answer as i choose.
They can no longer discipline you for not answering your phone. You are no longer on call.
I also say since we are a salaried employee with scheduled days off, we are not required to check the schedule either.
Unless management tells me in person I am working my K day, I ignore all notes on my case and daily or weekly schedules posted.
Just my 2 cents.

Been having the same issues at our office. We have been having a ton of regulars call off this month and so we rcas are being scheduled 6-7 days a week with the Sunday thing. It has gotten to the point where we are exhausted. I know people are saying we are not on call etc. but where does it cite that as in a reference to show them? Reason being is there calling constantly on my day off and what's irritating is there not calling in the slower rca's because they need help.

I dont want to get I 9'd because i cant come in 24/7 and bail them out. Would reallly really like a link or something to refrerence in the event that it occurs. I hate feeling like their thumb is on my head.

Been having the same issues at our office. We have been having a ton of regulars call off this month and so we rcas are being scheduled 6-7 days a week with the Sunday thing. It has gotten to the point where we are exhausted. I know people are saying we are not on call etc. but where does it cite that as in a reference to show them? Reason being is there calling constantly on my day off and what's irritating is there not calling in the slower rca's because they need help.

I dont want to get I 9'd because i cant come in 24/7 and bail them out. Would reallly really like a link or something to refrerence in the event that it occurs. I hate feeling like their thumb is on my head.
Have they made any provision to pay you for the hours you are "on call"?
No? Then you're not being properly compensated as an on call employee.
If you can, get them to say you are on call in writing with specific times you must be available for calls.
You are entitled to be paid for those hours. The written rule just makes that easier.
(I doubt they will agree to this. They want to tie you up waiting for calls, but they don't want to pay you. This is unfair, and grievable. You may want to discuss this issue with your steward or DR. Go to the upper right on this page and search "on call.")

thank you. It is just ridiculous that there citing that I can be disciplined for not answering my phone when I cant be there everyday, They don't seem to realize that we have lives, children etc outside this job. Especially when there are other rcas that are not working more than one -two days a week

So, the RCA's vehicle breaks down and thats your problem? Don't think so.

You're NEVER required to answer a text or call on your phone.

Block the number.
I gave the post office a burner phone number. Haven’t put minutes on it in years. The most recent OIC complained to me saying they needed updated contact information.

I gave the same number to them. Got told that number doesn’t connect anymore. I simply said “Hmm, guess it doesn’t.” And left.

Next day, same conversation. I asked why they needed updated information. And the usual smoke screen was given. “Safety this, emergency that, what if we have a question about a baseball bat” (paraphrased mostly). I responded “Guess I’ll find out when I return.”

thank you. It is just ridiculous that there citing that I can be disciplined for not answering my phone when I cant be there everyday, They don't seem to realize that we have lives, children etc outside this job. Especially when there are other rcas that are not working more than one -two days a week

They are trying to use the “Repeated Unavailability” As just cause to scare you. If you don’t answer, how do they even know that your phone actually rang? They cannot prove that it did unless they have access to your phone bill. IF mgmt did discipline, it wouldn’t even hold up in a Grievance as no Rural Craft is “On-Call”.

They are trying to use the “Repeated Unavailability” As just cause to scare you. If you don’t answer, how do they even know that your phone actually rang? They cannot prove that it did unless they have access to your phone bill. IF mgmt did discipline, it wouldn’t even hold up in a Grievance as no Rural Craft is “On-Call”.
Not to mention most employees don’t realize progressive discipline is required to terminate. So they can’t scare people with the fear of firing.

this is a problem i've seen over and over again. management lets some rca's work when they want, while others lower on the totem pole, have to pick up the slack. then when the next full time position opens up, rca's that should have been let go, are still first in line. management is unwilling or unable to terminate anyone, so the cycle repeats.

thank you again. Is there any truth to that "utilization report" that I hear about. That shows that there deliberately using the more capable carriers 6-7 days a week instead of bringing in other rca's that are slower and always need help. I was told its some sort of form that they have to submit and the pm can technically call them out on why there over working 1-2 rcas instead of using the others .

thank you again. Is there any truth to that "utilization report" that I hear about. That shows that there deliberately using the more capable carriers 6-7 days a week instead of bringing in other rca's that are slower and always need help. I was told its some sort of form that they have to submit and the pm can technically call them out on why there over working 1-2 rcas instead of using the others .

If this is happening contact your DR let them know that the Matrix is not being followed, that should change things! Using this philosophy the weak will never get stronger, practice and repetition is what improves performance!

If this is happening contact your DR let them know that the Matrix is not being followed, that should change things! Using this philosophy the weak will never get stronger, practice and repetition is what improves performance!
The Matrix is manipulated all the time. PM's will use who they want' when they want and where they want.

I have a rogue newbie PM who doesn't like men over 60. Bad combo for me. Even the Union said it would be best if I file an EEO.

I found out, mostly from many good people on this forum, that eeo is rarely worth it.

This from my PM on 12/13/2019:

According to my nut case PM, these are the rules:

"That is none of your business who I have working.

I can schedule anyone I want, anytime I want and anywhere I want.

I'm sick of you and have had enough. I'm writing you up for insubordination."

The Union is no help at all.

Last edited:
Back