• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Change to Sunday MOU?

BigFoot

Has there been an update to the MOU regarding Amazon Sunday & RCAs on hold down since the 5/24/16 MOU?

Our postmaster, poom and area steward are saying that they won't put a carrier on the hold down list until you get at least 30 days on the route, which is not what the original MOU said.

I can't find any updated info or updated language for that MOU.  Can anyone enlighten me? Are other areas operating in this manner?

im trying to help the RCA out in our office who is holding down a vacant route. I was surprised when he said the area rep agreed with what the poom was saying. 

Nothing heard & nothing on the Union website...

Our mgmt puts newbies on the list w/o choice. If I recall, they should be given the choice of volunteering, but that doesn't happen here.

Any carrier that is on a hold down route is not considered as a hold down carrier until 90 days have passed, they then go into leave earning status, which is figured from the first day that they worked on the hold down. If the managers are working an RCA on a hold down and on Sunday, they aren't very bright, because they are paying out extra overtime to that carrier. If that carrier is very fast and the extra work on Sunday is causing him to loose $ because he now is working more than 40 hours but less than the route's evaluation, please advise him to slow down or he will, in essence, be working for almost nothing on Sundays. I don't know where you would find it, but I think carriers on hold down routes can't be worked on Sundays, your manager is probably getting away with it because this RCA hasn't worked over 90 days yet.

Rt2mailman et al -- " I think carriers on hold down routes can't be worked on Sundays"

--  From the Sunday/Holiday Parcel Delivery Work List MOU signed on 24 MAY 2016 - 7th paragraph:

Rural carrier associates serving vacant regular routes or serving regular routes during the extended absence of the regular carriers, including the first ninety ( 90 ) days before becoming a Designation 74-0, WILL NOT BE SCHEDULED for Sunday/Holiday parcel delivery unless all leave replacements from both the volunteer and non-volunteer lists are scheduled.

gotstamps -- "Our mgmt puts newbies on the list w/o choice."

--  Give the Assistant District Representative a call.

--  The MOU's paragraph 5:  Newly hired RCA's will be afforded the opportunity to place their names on the Sunday/Holiday Parcel Delivery Work List as volunteers within sixty ( 60 ) days of hire.   If these rural carriers choose not to sign the volunteer list at this time, they will be placed on the non-volunteer list.

Bigfoot -- "Our postmaster, poom and area steward are saying that they won't put a carrier on the hold down list until you get at least 30 days on the route, which is not what the original MOU said."

-- "hold down list"  ??

--  The only "thirty days" mentioned in the MOU is for establishing the Sunday/Holiday Work List within thirty ( 30 ) days for the effective date of the MOU.  Future lists will be established during the same time periods as the Relief Day Work List, with each new list superseding the previous list.  ( aside from the 30 day notice to end the MOU by either party )

--  See what the State Steward has to say.

Just another fly in the ointment.  Last Thursday a telecon was held for management indicating they are to provide a rdwl for REGULARS who want to volunteer for Amazon Sundays and holidays.  They are receiving far more packages than expected and the RCAs and ACA(yes, they had hired 2 for this area, but 1 already quit.) are working nearly every Sunday.  I have questions.  Is this a separate rdwl from the one that gives you a DACA choice if you work your relief days or does this mean if you sign a rdwl that you suddenly are available to work 365 days a year?

Someone was mistaken in the telecon your manager was in , because regulars can not work on Sundays except for the "exception" made during the 2016 Christmas period.There is no way to pay a regular for any other Sunday work. Regulars could be and have been asked to volunteer to work their "r" days and receive 1/2 a days pay plus and "x" day even if they haven't signed the RDWL, what is known as a DACA code 3 day, but Sunday work is out of the question. Congratulations on having 2 "ARCs"(assistant relief carriers) hired, even if one already quit,your office is one of the few in the country.

LostinDakota -- "RCAs and ACA(yes, they had hired 2 for this area, but 1 already quit.) "

--  "ACA" -?   Did you mean "ARC"?

"Last Thursday a telecon was held for management indicating they are to provide a rdwl for REGULARS who want to volunteer for Amazon Sundays and holidays."

--  Some things to do:

a.  Inform your Assistant District Representative about manglement's telcon of a RDWL for regulars wanting Sunday work.

b.   Ask manglement for something in writing.

c.   Keep copies of page 3 of the current contract at everyone's case:   Article 8 HOURS OF WORK, Section 1 -- Regular rural carriers MAY NOT WORK on Sunday.

"They are receiving far more packages than expected."

--  Tell manglement to "suit up!"

" Is this a separate rdwl"

--  It would have to be as the "original" RDWL is only for working one's relief day.

--  NRLCA HQ needs to be made aware of this so they can decide to go with a new, nation-wide MOU or declare it in violation of the current contract.  Hopefully it will not take s-l-o-w moving arbitration to settle it.

If this RCA is working 6 days a week then he likely can't be made to work on Sundays regardless of whatever the MOU or POOM says..Let me preface that by saying that is at least the case in the st of CT but I believe that is the case in many states so please verify what your states law is. There are laws that mandate that an employer may ask or an employee may volunteer to work more than 6 consecutive calendar days in same pay week or no more than 12- 13 consecutive days but they can't force you or discipline you for refusing...

<blockquote class="spPostEmbedQuote"><strong>kdog2521 said </strong>
If this RCA is working 6 days a week then he likely can't be made to work on Sundays regardless of whatever the MOU or POOM says..Let me preface that by saying that is at least the case in the st of CT but I believe that is the case in many states so please verify what your states law is. There are laws that mandate that an employer may ask or an employee may volunteer to work more than 6 consecutive calendar days in same pay week or no more than 12- 13 consecutive days but they can't force you or discipline you for refusing...  </blockquote>
I had to work 7 days a week as an RCA the whole month of December. I liked the money but it wore down, now we rotate every other Sunday.

Back