• Everyone, please help make our jobs easier and choose the correct category. Thank you

Designation 79 RCA and Hourly Rules

Bukowski

I run an aux 5/1. I am told by both my supervisor and PM that during the Christmas period I am paid hourly even when I'm running the regular carrier's route. I am running the route Monday and I asked if I would be provided parcel assistance as I have been providing for the regular this whole week. Management said no assistance because I am paid hourly. Can anyone verify if this is true?

Bulowski -- "I run an aux 5/1. I am told by both my supervisor and PM that during the Christmas period I am paid hourly even when I'm running the regular carrier's route. I am running the route Monday and I asked if I would be provided parcel assistance as I have been providing for the regular this whole week. Management said no assistance because I am paid hourly. Can anyone verify if this is true? "

-- From the Question Box Section of the 2019 issue of the NOV/DEC national magazine.:

- Auxiliary Route Carriers -- carriers serving any auxiliary route are compensated at the hourly rate for actual hours worked during PP 26-2019 and week 1 of PP 01-2020. During this period, carrier are not paid the evaluation of the [ auxiliary ] route. Overtime is paid only when the carrier exceeds 40 hours for the week.

- Still should be evaluated with filling in on the relief day -- anyone??

- Regular carriers with the FLSA "A" code are paid for actual hours worked, not evaluated. ( maybe that is what manglement was thinking )

- Christmas Assistance -- Christmas assistance is additional service provided on a rural route during the Christmas period.

- For regular carriers, Christmas assistance applies only to assistance given by the carrier, on his/her relief day, while a replacement carrier is assigned to work the full route. ( If manglement won't schedule the regular to do parcels on the route, maybe they can assign another RCA )

-- In any case ask your Assistant District Representative for a second opinion!

Thank you btdret. I just sent an email to the union person . . .not sure what her status is or even if she's still the rep. Fingers crossed. I am almost positive I only earn hourly when I am on the aux. I guess I liken it to the fact that i only earn leave while on the aux. Also, it seems insanely unfair to other RCAs (Designation 78) that I would get paid hourly on my primary and they would not. But, nothing about the PO ever much makes sense or takes into account fairness.

H
Bulowski -- "I run an aux 5/1. I am told by both my supervisor and PM that during the Christmas period I am paid hourly even when I'm running the regular carrier's route. I am running the route Monday and I asked if I would be provided parcel assistance as I have been providing for the regular this whole week. Management said no assistance because I am paid hourly. Can anyone verify if this is true? "

-- From the Question Box Section of the 2019 issue of the NOV/DEC national magazine.:

- Auxiliary Route Carriers -- carriers serving any auxiliary route are compensated at the hourly rate for actual hours worked during PP 26-2019 and week 1 of PP 01-2020. During this period, carrier are not paid the evaluation of the [ auxiliary ] route. Overtime is paid only when the carrier exceeds 40 hours for the week.

- Still should be evaluated with filling in on the relief day -- anyone??

- Regular carriers with the FLSA "A" code are paid for actual hours worked, not evaluated. ( maybe that is what manglement was thinking )

- Christmas Assistance -- Christmas assistance is additional service provided on a rural route during the Christmas period.

- For regular carriers, Christmas assistance applies only to assistance given by the carrier, on his/her relief day, while a replacement carrier is assigned to work the full route. ( If manglement won't schedule the regular to do parcels on the route, maybe they can assign another RCA )

-- In any case ask your Assistant District Representative for a second opinion!
i believe the hourly pay for auxiZx
Thank you btdret. I just sent an email to the union person . . .not sure what her status is or even if she's still the rep. Fingers crossed. I am almost positive I only earn hourly when I am on the aux. I guess I liken it to the fact that i only earn leave while on the aux. Also, it seems insanely unfair to other RCAs (Designation 78) that I would get paid hourly on my primary and they would not. But, nothing about the PO ever much makes sense or takes into account fairness
I am asking a fellow Auxie in our office if they get paid eval on Primary during time is paid hourly on Auxie. Will let you know .

Just had this convo with my pm this afternoon, I too am a 5/1, she said RCA’s are paid hourly even on the primary. I’m not going to argue as my primary has been running 10-12 hrs every day since a week before thanksgiving ?
Wowee wow. I'm shocked. And I feel guilty. All those 78s running their primary routes and not getting ANYTHING but evaluation when the load is heavier than ever. It's so wrong. Why are we 79s somehow entitled and they aren't? It makes me think of the fact that brand spanking new hires in orientation are immediately paid the same hourly rate as an RCA that's been on the job for years, decades even. WTH?

It is my understanding from our Auxiliary carriers they only get hourly on Auxie during Christmas overtime( go slow and get all hours ha!) BUT get full eval on Primary or any other route they deliver....

It is my understanding from our Auxiliary carriers they only get hourly on Auxie during Christmas overtime( go slow and get all hours ha!) BUT get full eval on Primary or any other route they deliver....
Argh. Totally opposite info here. How to find the correct information?

Full evaluation doesn't mean sh#$. That means you work more extra than extra and if you're a worrier like I am, theres all this stress getting in the way, and bodily strain sitting in the middle of a f'ing car. One day evaluated at 7.5 hours and you're working 12? And it's no weird fluke day. Its Christmas. It's known it'll be heavy. Idk. Seems nobody has any real, contractual answer. Hoping to hear from my union representative. I will pass the info on when I know for sure

It's total bs that we don't even know the answer to this. Seems simple enough. I think, just as DB often says in posts about table 2, we're just not informed in clear, transparent ways. It's only when a situation arises that a person thinks, "Huh, I wonder here, how can this be?" Nothing is ever clear. Referring to DB again in another post, he/she says to consult some postal publication and it should be as clear as mud. Just never any cut and dry, clear answers EVER.

Found this and it is for 2009, old I know, but it says nothing about an Auxiliary's pay impacted by working primary for hours worked only , so I believe it is only true for Auxiliary routes. Still no definitive proof, very difficult in my opinion to search contract and find something in particular.

Auxiliary Route Carriers

Carriers serving any auxiliary route are compensated at the hourly rate for actual hours worked during PP 26-09 and week 1 of PP 01-10. During this period, carriers are not paid the evaluation of the route. Overtime is paid only when the carrier exceeds 40 hours for the week.

I run an aux 5/1. I am told by both my supervisor and PM that during the Christmas period I am paid hourly even when I'm running the regular carrier's route. I am running the route Monday and I asked if I would be provided parcel assistance as I have been providing for the regular this whole week. Management said no assistance because I am paid hourly. Can anyone verify if this is true?

It's total bs that we don't even know the answer to this. Seems simple enough. I think, just as DB often says in posts about table 2, we're just not informed in clear, transparent ways. It's only when a situation arises that a person thinks, "Huh, I wonder here, how can this be?" Nothing is ever clear. Referring to DB again in another post, he/she says to consult some postal publication and it should be as clear as mud. Just never any cut and dry, clear answers EVER.
Found pay stub from pay period 26 (12/26/18) worked small Auxiliary evaluated at 3.33 hours, worked it for two days. Got paid for 7.33 hours because went over 6.66 Hrs (3.33 hrs X2 days) So I got hourly pay at Christmas not eval as per the rules...... on same pay stub got paid full eval pay for my primary route. I am NOT the full time auxillary carrier just her replacement on Monday when she works her primary. I got paid hourly for Auxillary and full Evaluation for my primary. So your manager is wrong. Also last week worked that Auxillary evaluated at 3.33 in 3.00 hours and was paid full evaluation because it was not Christmas overtime yet..

Found pay stub from pay period 26 (12/26/18) worked small Auxiliary evaluated at 3.33 hours, worked it for two days. Got paid for 7.33 hours because went over 6.66 Hrs (3.33 hrs X2 days) So I got hourly pay at Christmas not eval as per the rules...... on same pay stub got paid full eval pay for my primary route. I am NOT the full time auxillary carrier just her replacement on Monday when she works her primary. I got paid hourly for Auxillary and full Evaluation for my primary. So your manager is wrong. Also last week worked that Auxillary evaluated at 3.33 in 3.00 hours and was paid full evaluation because it was not Christmas overtime yet..

You are correct! Actual pay on Aux only whether under or over. All other routes are Evaluation unless Total Actual hours go over 40 for the week.

Now why would you receive actual pay on the aux when you aren't the regular aux carrier? You should have received just evaluation it would seem. It isn't the route, it's the designation of the RCA that determines the hourly unfairness. If you're a 79, you get that hourly, at least on the aux (the question of whether its hourly on primary still isn't settled as far as I'm concerned). If you're a "lowly" 78, you should be paid evaluation no matter which route. This iscmy understanding. Not written in blood.

Now why would you receive actual pay on the aux when you aren't the regular aux carrier? You should have received just evaluation it would seem. It isn't the route, it's the designation of the RCA that determines the hourly unfairness. If you're a 79, you get that hourly, at least on the aux (the question of whether its hourly on primary still isn't settled as far as I'm concerned). If you're a "lowly" 78, you should be paid evaluation no matter which route. This iscmy understanding. Not written in blood.

It’s the route designation that is flagged for actual time. Someone not familiar with the Aux route should definitely be paid at actual. They will be a lot less likely to work under the eval while mgmt would likely want them helping everywhere afterwards. Plus, if an Aux Route was created out of a September count, the assigned RCA would still be under their 90-days & not yet have a 79 Designation.

It’s the route designation that is flagged for actual time. Someone not familiar with the Aux route should definitely be paid at actual. They will be a lot less likely to work under the eval while mgmt would likely want them helping everywhere afterwards. Plus, if an Aux Route was created out of a September count, the assigned RCA would still be under their 90-days & not yet have a 79 Designation.
I've been on the aux for over 3 years. The rca running it Monday is 100% familiar with it. So she gets actual time? Ahhhhccckkk, forget it. Just waiting to hear from my union rep. This just added more confusion. I'll update with the info I receive from her.

This may not help you but, I carried my aux route (5-1)one Christmas , some days both routes (primary and aux). I carried as fast as I could thinking I was helping myself, only to learn , I was being paid hourly. I lost over 300.00 dollars on one check.When I complained to postmaster, he told me to file a grievance. I didn’t because I didn’t think it would help ?

@Bukowski @Sandygirl @Justgettingstarted @Postal-xam@58

Thank you
@Bukowski @Sandygirl @Justgettingstarted @Postal-xam@58

Back