Digging up bones

UnknownUser

My route was an old aux route that was built up after the first count in 2018. It became officially vacant on the 7th of August and was to be posted a 43k. I was awarded the route and started 9/29. So the last day of count was my first day at my new office. The route lost an hour.

My DR said that I can lose an hour. Well, I understand by reading the contract that it's not so. Same office had a completely new route NOT counted and a completely new aux counted. I figure if they counted my route it qualified as a special count.

When an imminent adjustment is contemplated on
a vacant route or a vacant route has been subject
to an adjustment, that route will be adjusted using
the interim adjustment formula, then posted
accordingly. The posting of any regular route with-
out a count and official evaluation, plus any pos-
sible salary adjustments between the interim
adjustment and a subsequent mail count will not
be subject to the grievance-arbitration procedure
in Article 15.

When circumstances have negated the valid-
ity of the latest count and evaluation. No
salary adjustments will be made as a result of
the count unless the evaluation of the route is
changed by 120 minutes (2 hours) or more.

What I understand from those 2 paragraphs above is that, once it's counted I can't grieve. 2nd paragraph is that it must change 2 hours?

It seems as though these 2 paragraphs are contradicting but I am the one who has pulled this information, is there other contract information I missed? Am I interpreting this incorrectly? My DR has not returned this grievance or specifically cited why it's okay for my route to drop.

Going regular has really been very sour for me. Started off my career with a grievance about a delayed posting to be stopped at step one. I just found out this week!! Dated mid September. DR cited that management reserves the right to extend the 30 day posting period because it was being converted. He didn't provide evidence of them filling for an extension though. I have approached the DR about feeling that he is unfairly representing me. I feel that this is a sort of retaliation. It seems like I can not get any help from my union locally.

EthelAnne

Ok, here's my understanding, for what it's worth: I don't think the two paragraphs are contradictory--the first one has to do with how to determine the accurate evaluation of a vacant route in order to post the vacancy if the existing evaluation is not accurate--essentially it means the USPS doesn't have to perform a mail count before posting a vacant route and instead can use a "formula" to figure out the evaluation; the second, what do you do when a route changes dramatically so that the most recent evaluation is no longer valid?

Your route was counted and the new evaluation is one hour less than the previous one; it happens. My route lost an hour in this most recent count as well. Are you alleging that the count itself was not valid and should be negated? You'll need evidence to prove that, and the difference will have to be more than two hours in order to get any additional compensation for it.

Just because a route loses an hour after a mail count is not grievable, but that may not be your issue and I may not understand you correctly. I also may not be interpreting those two paragraphs accurately. Hopefully others will chime in with their knowledge.

Last edited:

EthelAnne

And regarding the extension for the posting: not sure if I understand you correctly (Was this an existing route prior to the most recent mail count or was it an auxiliary route until the mail count?) here's the wording from the contract:

Section 3. Rural Carrier Posting
A. Posting Requirements
1. Posting of a regular route is required as follows:
  1. When an auxiliary rural route reaches an evalua- tion of forty-two (42:00) standard hours, it will be converted to a regular route within thirty (30) days of the increase to 42:00 standard hours, unless the increase is as a result of a mail count. Routes that increase to 42:00 standard hours as a result of a mail count will be converted effective with the mail count.

And if this was an existing route, the fact that two new routes were being created within the office seems to be enough reason to extend the 30 day posting window.

UnknownUser

And regarding the extension for the posting: not sure if I understand you correctly (Was this an existing route prior to the most recent mail count or was it an auxiliary route until the mail count?) here's the wording from the contract:

Section 3. Rural Carrier Posting
A. Posting Requirements
1. Posting of a regular route is required as follows:
  1. When an auxiliary rural route reaches an evalua- tion of forty-two (42:00) standard hours, it will be converted to a regular route within thirty (30) days of the increase to 42:00 standard hours, unless the increase is as a result of a mail count. Routes that increase to 42:00 standard hours as a result of a mail count will be converted effective with the mail count.

And if this was an existing route, the fact that two new routes were being created within the office seems to be enough reason to extend the 30 day posting window.

The route had all adjustments completed months prior to the official date of 8/7. It officially became a vacant regular route on 8/7. It had previously been the only auxiliary route for years. It was built up after mail count. There were no adjustments needed for any other route. Had they posted in 30 days I would have been on the route during mail count. The primary RCA on the route called in sick 5 or more days during count, so new RCAs also counted this route, which resulted in days with no mark ups or no record mail, I have apartments, there is many mark ups daily and lots of no record mail.

UnknownUser

The way I read this, is that if no change of pay unless a 2 hour change in evaluation during special counts. That is where I am stuck and cannot get answers. And if they needed extra time to post the route. Do they have to request extra time? Is there a record of them needing an extension? Why was an extension needed if all changes had been done in the months prior to the official date of it becoming a regular route?

UnknownUser

At work yesterday, I looked at the count sheet and it has the box checked for 'special count' and my red book was dated at the beginning of June for the same line of travel that I have now.

EthelAnne

Ok, I think I (finally!) see what you're saying regarding the September special count: you should have kept the hour because unless there is a 2 hour change, there should be no salary adjustment. If I were your steward, I'd support your grievance and try and get you that hour back. Good luck.

Regarding the extension of time to post the route: I'm pretty sure the contract says only that the union must be notified (by letter? over the phone? smoke signals? I don't think the contract specifies) and your DR is contending he/she was notified. Whether or not they're being truthful, who knows? But that's what they're saying.

btdtret

EthelAnne et al -- " I'm pretty sure the contract says only that the union must be notified (by letter? over the phone? smoke signals? I don't think the contract specifies ).

-- Article 12.3.A.2.a. ( hopefully that is it ) If a route consolidation, adjustment, or conversion is pending in the appropriate area, a sixty ( 60 ) day extension may be made UPON NOTIFICATION TO THE UNION.

-- "Unknownuser" needs to politely ( or other wise ) ask the DR to reveal manglement's notification to the union. ( might be hard if a smoke signal was used )